300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd like to be a special agent

Once I get out of college, maybe for A criminal justice degree, I'd like to be a police officer/detective for a few years.
    I'd also want to be on the swat team.
    After that I'd like to have an "1811" job.
    I was set on the FBI for a while until I realized my chances among the other tens of thousands of people.
    I'd be interested in Ncis, Dea but Any 1811 agency would make me happy
    I need advice on some 1811 agencies, and what to do to prepare.

THANKS!
    Last edited by Hboy828; 01-26-2011, 06:52 PM.

I would try to get a degree in finance or accounting, because it helps out a lot with 1811 positions. You could probably dual major in CRJ and accounting if you are going into college with some credits under your belt (I went in with close to 30 credits, took as many AP and college level classes as possible my senior year of HS).

I have no state or local LEO experience, but have those degrees and while I was getting my masters degree (Masters of Public Administration - Inspectors General, which is auditing and accounting for public sector entities) I got a job at a major bank. There I got a ton of anti-money laundering, federal regulation, and profiling training.

Now I am at the tale end of the process for the DEA, just waiting for my BI to clear.

Best advice is to study hard, keep your nose clean, and get as much experience as possible. Go to each agencies career's page and see what the requirements are to be an 1811 for that specific agency. May be even call a local field office and talk to a recruiter to see what they look for.

Good luck, my friend.

EDIT: Oh and get in as good physical shape as possible. Most agencies have pretty decent physical fitness requirements. Expect to do pull-ups, push-ups, situps, sprints, and at least a 1.5 mile run (Some agencies, like the DEA, have a 2 mile run) for a good amount of reps/time.
    Last edited by UAGoalieGuy; 01-26-2011, 06:59 PM. Reason: Added Physical requirements.

Comment

So you would take an 1811 position with the Library of Congress IG and be happy?
      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
        So you would take an 1811 position with the Library of Congress IG and be happy?
        Although rude and uncalled for, he has a point. You need to figure out what you want to investigate, then chose your agency. There are a lot of 1811 positions, most will not appeal to you.

Comment

My advice would be to stay clear of a CJ degree, not that it is a bad thing, but many agencies tend to look for more technical specialities. Try going for a BBA with a concentration in accounting, finance, management, computers, etc. An engineering/science/law degree are also beneficial. Make sure you maintain a good GPA.

Try for an internship with any LE/FLE agencies while attending college; the experience does help. I say work a couple solid years out in the job market aquiring your skill set and then start applying to the different agencies. Apply to as many agencies that you are interested because the process for each typically can be 1.5 - 2 years in length. And, try not to waste alot of time building on what "you" think these agencies are looking for. There are many applicants that have made it without LE experience.

Comment

And from someone that actually has a criminal justice degree and ended up going back to school to get\a secondary degree in accounting to actually be competitive, don't get a CJ degree; it's pretty much dime a dozen and not practical in the real world unless you go onto graduate school in a different field of study or become a teacher for CJ. Stay in shape, stay out of drugs, stay out of making stupid mistakes, and best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by chadliey View Post
              And from someone that actually has a criminal justice degree and ended up going back to school to get\a secondary degree in accounting to actually be competitive, don't get a CJ degree; it's pretty much dime a dozen and not practical in the real world unless you go onto graduate school in a different field of study or become a teacher for CJ. Stay in shape, stay out of drugs, stay out of making stupid mistakes, and best of luck.
              You have a CJ degree and were hired by ICE, so it can't be that bad.

Here is some advice. Study whatever you want, be it CJ or whatever. Give it your all and never give up. Work hard at whatever it is you decide to do. Whether it is working at wal-mart, or installing satellite tv, work hard and do your best and it will help you in the future.
              Last edited by TheKansan; 01-26-2011, 08:02 PM.
              What is Perseverance?
              -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
              -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
              -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by Hboy828 View Post
                Once I get out of college, maybe for A criminal justice degree, I'd like to be a police officer/detective for a few years.
                I'd also want to be on the swat team.
                After that I'd like to have an "1811" job.
                I was set on the FBI for a while until I realized my chances among the other tens of thousands of people.
                I'd be interested in Ncis, Dea but Any 1811 agency would make me happy
                I need advice on some 1811 agencies, and what to do to prepare.

THANKS!
                I think your plan to get a degree and then seek local LE experience before trying to become a 1811 is a very wise one. Worked for me, and many other 1811's I know. Not saying you *have* to be a local cop first, but many 1811's who hit the ground running when they are first hired were cops with a local/state agency first. Just keep out of trouble in the mean time and keep your eye on the prize.

Also, as suggested before, simply being a 1811/Special Agent may or may not be a good fit if you're with an agency that's investigative authority doesn't interest you. I'd recommend instead of applying to *any* 1811 agency(ies) that you focus on those that actually interest you and put out applications to each of them.
                sigpic

Comment

i want to be a superhero

Comment

Originally posted by Investigator 26
                    Just a heads up about your local LE plans. There are very few cities where you get to be a detecttive after a few years. It is the same for SWAT. SWAT spots are usually very highly competitive and go yo either guys who were former military or gym rats who can bench 400 pounds while running a sub 8 mile and a half all while shooting a perfect qual score. YOU don't just walk on to SWAT teams or
                    I understand that , and if im not right for an 1811 job, I'm fine with staying a cop/detective.

Comment

Originally posted by o2force View Post
                      Although rude and uncalled for, he has a point. You need to figure out what you want to investigate, then chose your agency. There are a lot of 1811 positions, most will not appeal to you.
                      How was it rude and uncalled for? I asked a question
                      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8664 users online. 406 members and 8258 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X