300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Budget Thread and Implications on Future Hiring Initiatives

Since this topic seems be a hotbed issue in most threads, I'd figure I start an actual thread where all of us can discuss its implications.

So, Obama is going to discuss budget freeze tonight across many fed agencies, http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...n-tonight.html with the exception of security and non-discretionary programs. However, there is no mention of how law enforcement (DOJ) or homeland security (DHS) is going to be affected. This announcement is extremely important because this will affect the language of the coming budget resolution, which the House will unveil tomorrow. These budget cuts will most LIKELY occur because the GOP-controlled House actually support very strong cuts and the Democrats in both the House/Senate will back up the President in support.

So a couple things could happen. Both DOJ/DHS could fall into the "exempt" category under the new budget cuts, where funding for their departments can increase, stay about the same, or suffer a slight decrease. This is the favorable option as it will not jeopardize long term hiring initiatives of most FLE agencies. The other course action is if both DOJ/DHS are not excluded, then hiring will more or less come to a standstill for the next 5 years.

Thoughts?

I'm hoping that with all the violence and problems on the border, that DHS (ICE) continues to hire border patrol, criminal investigators, etc. I'm currently in one of the processes so obviously that factors in. I just dont think you can sacrifice security on our borders, especially that one.
    ICE SA

Test: July 2009
    NOR: Sept 2009
    Interview: Nov 2009
    NOR: Dec 30, 2010
    TO: Jan 3, 2011
    Medical: Jan 14, 2011
    Drug Screen: Jan 26, 2011
    Cleared all Pre-Employment Checks Feb 23, 2011
    Met with BI: March 9, 2011
    BI Complete: April 26, 2011

Comment

There will always be a need for HSI agents, BPA's, CBPO's, etc. down on the SWB both because it is dangerous and the turnover rate is very high. Agencies under DOJ are most likely going to see budget cuts before any DHS agencies do.

Comment

Yes, and I also hope they hire qualified Veterans as well!

Comment

Any chance of DOJ layoffs?

Comment

I read somewhere they want to fire 4000 FBI agents, 1500 DEA agents.. and personel from other agencies.. guess it will all come down to what he says tonight at 9pm...
            CBPO
            Exam: Retook exam: 11/2010
            TO: 2/2011
            Medical: 3/22/2011
            PT Test: 3/22/2011
            VBT: 3/2011
            Background: 3/2011
            Drug Test: 4/2011
            Referred to TSU: 5/2011
            PT Test 2: TBD
            FLETC: Good Question lol
            CBP Officer:

USMS- Region 8
            Info Session 9/2009
            Interview 3/2010
            COE 5/2010
            Medical 5/2010
            Fit/Background 7/2010
            All clear as of 11/2010
            FCIP Over, all applicants scrapped. (GAME OVER) 3/2011 :'(

Comment

I was told that there is the possibility of DEA going under DHS in the near future. Also, I have heard that DEA won’t lay off any Agents (1811), however; with the cuts proposed they may cancel all future academies and possibly fire Agents. DEA has a man power allocation for 5700 Agents but only employs 4700 Agents. If these cuts take place DEA will operate 3200 Agents. This numbers will make DEA very inefficient.

Comment

There are tons of agencies which can afford to be shuttered or at least reprioritized in terms of funding. The government wont fire anyone but wont replace those through attrition unless absolutly necessary.
                I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

First up to bat: DOJ

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...=ITP_pageone_1

Comment

There's a lot of unfounded speculation on this thread, guys.....

1. Zama9- "I was told......" By who?

2. BigWannaBGma- "I read somewhere....." What did you read? Where?

This speculation without quoting sources is only generating more uncertainty and unnessassary worry, people. Please quote your sources or provide links to back up your statements on this subject.
                    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

Originally posted by jbmpa View Post
                      No mention of cutting back agents really and no mention of the DEA specifically. Hopefully that's the case!

Comment

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/14...-back-spending

House votes 256-165 to slash current FY2011 levels to FY2008 levels on "non-security spending." Unfortunately, "non-spending" isn't clearly defined. Either way, not looking too good.

Comment

Originally posted by jbmpa View Post
                          http://thehill.com/homenews/house/14...-back-spending

House votes 256-165 to slash current FY2011 levels to FY2008 levels on "non-security spending." Unfortunately, "non-spending" isn't clearly defined. Either way, not looking too good.
                          I've read a little about this on the Washington Post lately and they're stating that 'non security' is everything other than DHS, DOD, and VA. They didn't state anything about DOJ being in the clear.

Comment

Originally posted by QuietPro View Post
                            There's a lot of unfounded speculation on this thread, guys.....

1. Zama9- "I was told......" By who?

2. BigWannaBGma- "I read somewhere....." What did you read? Where?

This speculation without quoting sources is only generating more uncertainty and unnessassary worry, people. Please quote your sources or provide links to back up your statements on this subject.
                            I found it in another forum I can't remember where but I did a google search and got a dozen hits..

http://m.host.madison.com/mobile/new...cc4c03286.html
                            CBPO
                            Exam: Retook exam: 11/2010
                            TO: 2/2011
                            Medical: 3/22/2011
                            PT Test: 3/22/2011
                            VBT: 3/2011
                            Background: 3/2011
                            Drug Test: 4/2011
                            Referred to TSU: 5/2011
                            PT Test 2: TBD
                            FLETC: Good Question lol
                            CBP Officer:

USMS- Region 8
                            Info Session 9/2009
                            Interview 3/2010
                            COE 5/2010
                            Medical 5/2010
                            Fit/Background 7/2010
                            All clear as of 11/2010
                            FCIP Over, all applicants scrapped. (GAME OVER) 3/2011 :'(

Comment

Originally posted by BiggyWannaBGman View Post
                              I found it in another forum I can't remember where but I did a google search and got a dozen hits..

http://m.host.madison.com/mobile/new...cc4c03286.html
                              The latest I've heard from management of an 1811 agency I was supposed to interview for (but the position was canceled due to budget constraints) is that it looks like Fed hiring will be similar to the way it was under the late Clinton Administration. No new positions, and basically hiring one person for every two that leave the agency to shrink their size.

I guess time will tell if that's true. One thing is always true though. Change is inevitable. These budget issues won't last forever. Just look how short the American public's memory is. Things are very different now than they were two years ago. I believe we'll look back in two years and say the same thing.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10425 users online. 443 members and 9982 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X