Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wolal View Post
    Thanks Kansan,
    I will watch BOP for openings on usajobs. Unfortunately, local LE here in Nor California is in even worse condition. In the meantime I am also looking at some local FED analyst positions just to get my foot in the door. Which agencies did you see some of the guys you work with go to?
    AFOSI, and ICE. I also saw one guy become a FAM, though that isn't an 1811 job. As for me, I am hoping to become an 1811 as well eventually, but I'm in no rush.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Was just told that the FBI they prefer individuals with backgrounds as Analysts over Law Enforcement (policing). Would other agencies (DEA, USSS, ATF, ICE) prefer LE over analysts? Also, does a candidate receive more consideration if they are already a Federal employee?
      Thanks.
      “If a man wishes to be sure of the road he treads on, he must close his eyes and walk in the dark.”
      -St. John of the Cross

Comment

Originally posted by wolal View Post
        Was just told that the FBI they prefer individuals with backgrounds as Analysts over Law Enforcement (policing). Would other agencies (DEA, USSS, ATF, ICE) prefer LE over analysts? Also, does a candidate receive more consideration if they are already a Federal employee?
        Thanks.
        FBI is their own animal. The agencies you named (DEA, USSS, ATF, and ICE, as well as many other 1811 agencies) would rather hire a former cop, especially if they have previous criminal investigative experience. Not saying if you're a non-LE federal employee (like an analyst) that you couldn't be hired as an 1811, but since you asked about what's "preferred" LE seems to be more within my own agency and others I've worked with (including the 4 you named above).
        sigpic

Comment

What is your second career choice if an 1811 position doesn't work out? Would you be happy as an analyst or TSA employee, or something completely different like a banker or teacher? As you can probably imagine, lots of people have 1811 intentions, but very few will actually end up achieving it. Not saying you can't make it, but sometimes family situations, geographic locations, age, etc. are reasons many don't meet their goal. I would advise you to go about your life as if the Federal LEO position may or may not materialize and start you second career right now. It kind of stinks if you spend 5 years of your life "on hold" hoping to get a job that may or may not happen. I really don't think it's any advantage to be a TSA screener over a school teacher (my example.)

Comment

Originally posted by Diablo982 View Post
            What is your second career choice if an 1811 position doesn't work out? Would you be happy as an analyst or TSA employee, or something completely different like a banker or teacher? As you can probably imagine, lots of people have 1811 intentions, but very few will actually end up achieving it. Not saying you can't make it, but sometimes family situations, geographic locations, age, etc. are reasons many don't meet their goal. I would advise you to go about your life as if the Federal LEO position may or may not materialize and start you second career right now. It kind of stinks if you spend 5 years of your life "on hold" hoping to get a job that may or may not happen. I really don't think it's any advantage to be a TSA screener over a school teacher (my example.)
            Very, very well put. This is probably the advice few 1811 wannabes want to hear but need to realize. Find a job that makes you happy and develops skills to help make you competitive for 1811 positions. If an 1811 offer doesn't work out, best to be in a job you'd enjoy doing until retirement over a "stepping stone" that never pans out into an 1811 job.
            sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11817 users online. 442 members and 11375 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X