Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Jobs to have until Federal Law Enforcement

Hello,

With Federal LEA's budgets shrinking and job opportunities disappearing along with them, I was looking to find a position in the Federal System where I can gain some experience and build my qualifications. My cousin who works for a Federal LEA keeps telling me that I have to do everything and anything to gain experience that will allow me to stand above the crowd. He says they received app. 80,000 applications last year! I know each agency has a specific mission which entails specific skills. However, as a general rule, which of the following positions do you think Federal LEA's would see as most relevant or help most in the hiring process?

-Analyst (for a Federal LEA)
    -Federal Police Officer (U.S. Capitol, Pentagon, etc.)
    -TSA (Inspection positions)
    -Park Ranger (Protection)
    -Others? (if so, which?)

Thanks,
    Wolal
    Qualifications ...and there aren't many
    -B.S. and M.S. in Justice Studies
    -7 years as a HazMat Technician for local government
    -Intermediate Spanish Fluency
    Goal
    -1811 Position with Federal LEA
    Last edited by wolal; 01-18-2011, 04:35 PM.
    “If a man wishes to be sure of the road he treads on, he must close his eyes and walk in the dark.”
    -St. John of the Cross

Well I would rank any position that puts you through FLETC (PFPA, USCP) over TSA and say a FED Analyst position. On the other hand, a large number of IEA's (ICE) nationwide were hired with a TSA background, so you never know. In my ICE-DRO (now ERO) class, there were 26 out of 48 students that came directly from TSA.

DIA recently had an announcement looking to fill several vacancies (analyst, crim inv, counterintel, etc..). Did you get in on that announcement?

Good Luck!

Comment

Correct answer - Any job that will hire you... Honestly, get your foot on the door and start working your way thru the system; apply broadly.
      sigpic

Comment

So landing a position that puts you through FLETC is best. Next best would be something in Federal Security/Inspection like TSA, or something that gets your foot into the door of a Federal LEA like an Analyst position. Also, I have been taking the "apply everywhere" approach as I know that is a bit easier to land a Federal LEA position if you are already a Federal employee. Other than that, I guess it is a waiting game more than anything. THANKS.
        “If a man wishes to be sure of the road he treads on, he must close his eyes and walk in the dark.”
        -St. John of the Cross

Comment

You should apply to the BOP or other similar FLEO position to stop your clock. The other consideration is getting a fed job just to get status so when jobs do open you get first shot as a status candidate.

Comment

I agree with Dixon on a BOP or FLEO position that will stop your clock. If you still have ten years or more before the cut-off, any federal position will help you down the road and gain you years in FERS and TSP. I would say USSS-UD or CP would be a good place to start with LEO apps. While it may not be as good as a LEO position, an analyst position with the agency you desire to work for can help you by possibly opening you up to internal announcements. These don't always open for initial LEO positions, but it couldn't hurt either. You can write off most park ranger positions unless you have already completed a seasonal academy for NPS.

Comment

wolal:

I wouldn't sell yourself short on your educational experience. Alot of the positions listed above only require a 4 year degree. Since you have a Masters I would say this is definattly a plus and something that would absolutely help you in the hiring process. As for current positions open they are somewhat hard to comeby because it seems as though tens of thousands of individuals are in the same boat and also looking to get a foot in the door so to speak. My approach is to apply to as many as feasible, and see what you get back from these agencies. The most abundant jobs from what I have found are definattly in corrections. Alot of people aren't necessarily cut out for corrections, or want to work in that type of environment but all in all its a start.

Comment

You can learn a lot about the reality of the criminal justice system, and criminals in the BOP. If your ultimate goal is a CI job then you should try the BOP. It is not an easy job.

Comment

What kind of "1811" job do you want...? EVERY FLEO Agency has a different mission.....

Once you figure that out....go from there.....

As other stated, any job (with this economy) will help you....shows you can pay your bills and keep a job.....

Comment

Check out the FBI's website. They list exactly what kinds of college dgrees they are looking for. Dare I say that "experience" is overrated. Most applicants have experience, but most don't have college degrees that agencies are looking for. Unless you have alot of experience, then you aren't really setting yourself apart. Thats why the FBI and other agencies have bothered to list those fields of study on their websites.
                    Last edited by Cyber_Saint; 01-19-2011, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Correct answer - Any job that will hire you...
                      +1.

Pay the bills, do a good job, and get a great endorsement from your company via stellar performance. That's all a hiring agency will expect.

Some of the jobs you listed as stepping stones are just as competitive as anything else in Fed LE that you might be shoting for, like police jobs. And becoming a Park Ranger is a pursuit in and of itself (not a stepping stone at all, IMO).
                      "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

Talked to my cousin again and he said the FBI is looking for candidates with highly-specialized backgrounds and experience. He said my degree in Criminal Justice doesn't make me stand out, because they are looking for individuals with backgrounds in certain languages, Finance, Accounting, some Sciences, and so forth. He said that his Office only received 1 new hire in the last 3 or 4 years straight out of the university and she had a J.D. Anyhow, with competition at an all-time high, would me degrees and work experience (even though it's not related to LE) help me more with other LEA's? At this point, DEA is my #1 goal, but I would be happy with any 1811 position with a LEA.
                        -St. John of the Cross

Comment

Originally posted by wolal View Post
                          Talked to my cousin again and he said the FBI is looking for candidates with highly-specialized backgrounds and experience. He said my degree in Criminal Justice doesn't make me stand out, because they are looking for individuals with backgrounds in certain languages, Finance, Accounting, some Sciences, and so forth. He said that his Office only received 1 new hire in the last 3 or 4 years straight out of the university and she had a J.D. Anyhow, with competition at an all-time high, would me degrees and work experience (even though it's not related to LE) help me more with other LEA's? At this point, DEA is my #1 goal, but I would be happy with any 1811 position with a LEA.
                          That's because the FBI requires you to be at least 23 years old to apply for a SA position. Most college grads (that have a decent GPA and finish in 4 years) are only 21-22 years old.
                          ATF Special Agent
                          Application Submitted: February 28, 2012

Deputy US Marshal
                          Application Submitted: March 5, 2012

Comment

BOP is not for everyone, but in my short time here I have already seen a few guys who were able to move on to 1811 spots. The other good thing is that you apply where you want to work, not where they want you to work, and with facilities throughout the country, you can be somewhere near where you like.

Honestly, with the recent slowdown in hiring for 1811 jobs and the fierce competition, I am very glad I started here. Had I held out for the US Marshals or ICE I would be waiting for years on the outside looking in.

Another thing that I might suggest that no one has brought up yet is local law enforcement. You can learn a lot there.
                            What is Perseverance?
                            -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                            -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                            -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Thanks Kansan,
                              I will watch BOP for openings on usajobs. Unfortunately, local LE here in Nor California is in even worse condition. In the meantime I am also looking at some local FED analyst positions just to get my foot in the door. Which agencies did you see some of the guys you work with go to?
                              -St. John of the Cross

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6614 users online. 320 members and 6294 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X