Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USAJOBS Resume

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • USAJOBS Resume

    Hello,

    I was always told to always list personal interests (hobbies) in a resume, because it could serve to become a talking point at interviews. The Hiring Manager(s) may have the same interest as you and thus the connection is formed.

    However, applying to Federal Law Enforcement with USAJOBS probably means it will be first read by Resumix. Do you think I should still list personal interests under the "Additional Information" section?

    Thanks,
    Wolal
    “If a man wishes to be sure of the road he treads on, he must close his eyes and walk in the dark.”
    -St. John of the Cross

  • #2
    No....trust me, they dont care.
    ICE SA

    Test: July 2009
    NOR: Sept 2009
    Interview: Nov 2009
    NOR: Dec 30, 2010
    TO: Jan 3, 2011
    Medical: Jan 14, 2011
    Drug Screen: Jan 26, 2011
    Cleared all Pre-Employment Checks Feb 23, 2011
    Met with BI: March 9, 2011
    BI Complete: April 26, 2011

    Comment


    • #3
      Think of it this way, as wonderful as federal HR folks are, they are basically trained monkeys. They will never do the jobs they are rating you for. Give them as much information as necessary for you to make the hiring cert. They relly don't care about hobbies/interests. When I used to review application packages prior to interviews at the Treasury IG as their office manager, I would usually not view those applications more favorably. The people doing the intervivews don't care and will generally not bring that up during the interview. Only list anything extra if it will get you the interview.

      Comment


      • #4
        I've conducted several interviews and submitted for several job openings for the feds.......and in all my contacts with hiring managers, NO ONE ever asked about my hobbies or interests. Johnnylawman is right; they don't care. The additional information section should be used for any relevant job information that you didn't include in your work experience and school/training. Hobbies/Interests? Pfft...... Hiring managers don't care.
        Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

        Comment


        • #5
          Most federal job listings aren't even using USAJOBS full capabilities unless the job says apply online. The only time resumex is used is when the apply online capability is enabled. Otherwise you have to mail a package into the HR office and someone goes over it in person. The one that does the interview isn't from HR. The interview is conducted by department head, or a designated subordinate. For police you will interview with the chief of police, a Lieutenant or Captain, or even all 3. All hr is supposed to do it review your package and make sure your resume meets the KSA and that you are eligible for the position, if you are eligible it's passed to the department head that will hire you. The department head gets back with HR and tell them which ones to contact for interview. Hobbies and and stuff like that don't make a difference in federal jobs, it's meeting the KSA (Knowledge Skills Assessment) that's what gets you to the interview.
          GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

          "For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by wolal View Post
            Hello,

            I was always told to always list personal interests (hobbies) in a resume, because it could serve to become a talking point at interviews. The Hiring Manager(s) may have the same interest as you and thus the connection is formed.

            However, applying to Federal Law Enforcement with USAJOBS probably means it will be first read by Resumix. Do you think I should still list personal interests under the "Additional Information" section?

            Thanks,
            Wolal
            I would recommend that you google the format for a Federal Resume. The Fed does not adhere to the rest of the business worlds format of a resume. They don't care how many pages it is, they want salary info, job address, Supervisors name and phone number, a detailed job description and more for each emploer you had relevant experience with. Additionally you have to have the job announcement number the Pay grade and series you are applying for and much more in there.

            Your resume is typically not looked at by a person first. It is run through a computer program to pick out key words in the job description you write. When it feels you have enouogh key words in your resume they are sent to a person to be filtered further. If you are serious about a federal job you may want to look at having your resume professionally done. Once it's done you can tailor it to each specific job you apply for. You should not have a general resume for all jobs with the fed, you should have a resume for each position in order to have as many "key" words in it to make it past the screeners. Just my $.02

            Comment


            • #7
              The only additional info I would supply would be volunteer work and public service you may do on local government boards, fire companies, rescue squads, etc. Certifications you hold as well. That type of thing. I certainly don't have my racing or fishing achievements listed...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by GIOSTORMUSNRET View Post
                Most federal job listings aren't even using USAJOBS full capabilities unless the job says apply online. The only time resumex is used is when the apply online capability is enabled. Otherwise you have to mail a package into the HR office and someone goes over it in person. The one that does the interview isn't from HR. The interview is conducted by department head, or a designated subordinate. For police you will interview with the chief of police, a Lieutenant or Captain, or even all 3. All hr is supposed to do it review your package and make sure your resume meets the KSA and that you are eligible for the position, if you are eligible it's passed to the department head that will hire you. The department head gets back with HR and tell them which ones to contact for interview. Hobbies and and stuff like that don't make a difference in federal jobs, it's meeting the KSA (Knowledge Skills Assessment) that's what gets you to the interview.
                Errrr......

                A. Not sure what you are talking about....but 99.9% of Fed jobs are on USAJOBs.....and the final few are going to be on there once FCIP goes away....

                B. Most USAJOBs are based in a Resumix system. The computer uses the key words that the hiring folks are looking for....and pulls those resumes.....

                C. No such things as KSAs....Bush/Obama outlawed them. While you may have to type in info that runs in paragraph form with some agencies.....KSAs are done ......

                D. And you are correct....no one cares about hobbies. I just hired (2) people over the last 6 weeks.....and I didn't give a rats *** what they did for hobbies. I am looking for job skills in the resume........

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by GIOSTORMUSNRET View Post
                  Most federal job listings aren't even using USAJOBS full capabilities unless the job says apply online. The only time resumex is used is when the apply online capability is enabled. Otherwise you have to mail a package into the HR office and someone goes over it in person. The one that does the interview isn't from HR. The interview is conducted by department head, or a designated subordinate. For police you will interview with the chief of police, a Lieutenant or Captain, or even all 3. All hr is supposed to do it review your package and make sure your resume meets the KSA and that you are eligible for the position, if you are eligible it's passed to the department head that will hire you. The department head gets back with HR and tell them which ones to contact for interview. Hobbies and and stuff like that don't make a difference in federal jobs, it's meeting the KSA (Knowledge Skills Assessment) that's what gets you to the interview.

                  As it was already touched on, almost all federal jobs you will find on USAJOBS. What you have touched based on seems to be your personal experience with the VA hiring practice, which is not the same with every agency, if not even close to the same. Not every agency nor announcement uses KSA's for for one.

                  As with my agency, there was no interview with a "chief" it was a written test first and then somewhere down the pipeline I met for an oral interview. They did not go over my resume however.
                  "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Bearcat, Irishlad,
                    You didn't fully read what I posted. Yes all federal jobs have to post in USAJOBS, this is mandated by presidential order, what I said was not all jobs posted are using USAJOBS full capabilities. When a job has apply online tab available your resume will be run through resumex. When the job posting doesn't have apply online available you have to send in an application package that includes your resume, and other paperwork to support your application SF-15, DD-214, etc. Knowledge Skills Assessments (KSA) are not banned, it is the basis to determine if you meet the job requirements. Not all federal law enforcement postings require a test, some do, but not all. Some will require you to do a KSA sheet as well, which includes you having to fill in a brief paragraph explaining your experience or education in order to meet the KSA. The interviewer is normally not from HR, it is someone from the department which you are applying for. The gist of what I posted was to inform the person that resumex is not used all the time, HR does not look at hobbies for federal job postings. While state and local LEO jobs may want to see what community activities you might be involved with, I doubt those would even be a deciding factor in the hiring process either.
                    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

                    "For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      What is this presidential order you speak of? USAJOBS is one source of job announcements. Not all jobs need to be posted there and not all jobs are. There are other resources that are used and one used even with the VA is used internally, which they do not post on USAJOBS.
                      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        For what it's worth, I just sat on three separate interview panels also reviewed the applications from a cert list. One individual that probably would have been passed over was selected for the interview partly because of an affiliation/hobby he listed that one of the other interviewers liked. Keep in mind, there was another applicant that did NOT get an interview for this same reason - they listed something that did not appear to be a good fit with our agency.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Irishlad,
                          Jobs are posted internally before being posted on USAJOBS, some deal AFGE has giving internal applicants a chance first. Generally internal posting are posted for 15 days before it goes to USAJOBS.
                          GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

                          "For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                            Errrr......

                            A. Not sure what you are talking about....but 99.9% of Fed jobs are on USAJOBs.....and the final few are going to be on there once FCIP goes away....

                            B. Most USAJOBs are based in a Resumix system. The computer uses the key words that the hiring folks are looking for....and pulls those resumes.....

                            C. No such things as KSAs....Bush/Obama outlawed them. While you may have to type in info that runs in paragraph form with some agencies.....KSAs are done ......

                            D. And you are correct....no one cares about hobbies. I just hired (2) people over the last 6 weeks.....and I didn't give a rats *** what they did for hobbies. I am looking for job skills in the resume........

                            Want to hire me?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Interesting discussion. Just to sum it up, almost always listing personal interests/hobbies is pointless as resumix glosses over it or hiring managers just don't care. However, if one makes it to the oral interview, it can either help you or hurt you depending upon who sitting on the panel and whether or not they like what you listed. Hmmm... Better safe than sorry and leave them off.

                              Many Thanks.
                              “If a man wishes to be sure of the road he treads on, he must close his eyes and walk in the dark.”
                              -St. John of the Cross

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 11620 users online. 407 members and 11213 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X