300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting a Liberal Arts degree?

would it be a good degree to get for law enforcement?

what i mainly see is 60 college credits required, and a bachelors to get promotions but they never say what it needs to be in.

I figured i would get a liberal arts degree because I could just go to school to learn things Im interested in (take a variety of classes) rather than just 1 subject.

It will meet the requirement... But if for some reason you have or want to change careers, that degree will not be as useful...
    sigpic

Comment

Any degree is a good degree to get into LE. Whether it is marketable outside of the LE field is something else.

Comment

I'd say rather than declaring a major right away, maybe start to take your GEs and see which classes interest you. Take a mix - English, Business, Science, etc. and see where it goes. Don't do what I did and study History with absolutely no direction after college. If criminal justice interests you and you are positive you want to be in LE at a later time, then by all means go for it. But in general, from what I've seen, most LE positions want "a" college degree, with good marks to boot. If I could go back I would major in something useful, yet independent of the law enforcement world: Engineering, Finance, etc. Diversity is never a bad thing and you will still have that degree if you decide to follow the LE route.

Comment

Almost forgot...

If you are 100% positive you want to be in LE, I'd still get a diverse enough degree. I'm of the opinion that liberal arts degrees aren't the most practical, yet it really depends on what type of career you want later on. I don't want to say a liberal arts degree is useless, but a technical degree would be much, much more useful and lucrative in the long run. Maybe try some computer science classes as well? You will still get to study many things regardless of your major. Choose electives wisely and see which classes you can stand more than others.

Comment

A degree in a foreign language or some type of Computer Science could also make you more marketable. When i was trying to obtain a fed job after college with just a BA in CJ, I was told by many that I was a dime a dozen. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by JDNJ1985NJ1985 View Post
              I'd say rather than declaring a major right away, maybe start to take your GEs and see which classes interest you. Take a mix - English, Business, Science, etc. and see where it goes. Don't do what I did and study History with absolutely no direction after college. If criminal justice interests you and you are positive you want to be in LE at a later time, then by all means go for it. But in general, from what I've seen, most LE positions want "a" college degree, with good marks to boot. If I could go back I would major in something useful, yet independent of the law enforcement world: Engineering, Finance, etc. Diversity is never a bad thing and you will still have that degree if you decide to follow the LE route.
              funny, i was actually going to go for a history/political science degree and i just figured i mine aswell go for liberal arts because i wanted to learn a variety of different things and figured the TYPE of degree doesnt matter for LE.

i actually want to go to law school afterwards but i was only going to go part time after being hired.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmike9110 View Post
                funny, i was actually going to go for a history/political science degree and i just figured i mine aswell go for liberal arts because i wanted to learn a variety of different things and figured the TYPE of degree doesnt matter for LE.

i actually want to go to law school afterwards but i was only going to go part time after being hired.
                Yeah, I mean, History is great if you want to teach and/or be a writer, etc. Actually good if you want to attend law school as well. I guess my point is, try something that will make you more "marketable" in case you decide to go in another direction after college. But, yeah, History is quite good if you decide to go to law school.

Comment

I figured i would get a liberal arts degree because I could just go to school to learn things Im interested in (take a variety of classes) rather than just 1 subject.
                  This is a good idea, IMO. If you're interested in the subject, you'll probably do better than in a subject you're not.

Keep in mind that a BA/BS is a BASIC degree, so even if you get it in something that might be seen as more marketable to a LE agency, the agency knows that you still aren't all that well-versed in the subject - not enough to be an 'expert' in it. Most of the 1811"s I've known have a degree that simply hangs on the wall and which they used just meet the degree requirements to get hired.

I have a liberal arts degree. I was interested in the topic and it helped me to get a pretty high GPA, which I think opened more doors than the focus of the degree itself. It's never held me back.

Unless you're trying to get hired by an agency that requires a specific degree focus, I think a liberal arts degree is fine.
                  Last edited by GreenLine; 01-17-2011, 10:30 AM.
                  "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

Im just wondering, if I was to get a BA in Liberal Arts, can I pursue a Masters, Possibly even a Doctorates in Criminal Justice or Criminology???

Comment

Originally posted by ironmike9110 View Post
                      Im just wondering, if I was to get a BA in Liberal Arts, can I pursue a Masters, Possibly even a Doctorates in Criminal Justice or Criminology???
                      Here's an example, the entrance criteria for the Master of Arts in Criminology and Criminal Justice program at the University of Nebraska.
                      • Possesses a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution.
                      • Has earned a B average; or both a 3.00 overall grade point average for the last two years of undergraduate work and a 3.00 or B average in undergraduate major.
                      • Presents at least 18 semester hours of Criminology and Criminal Justice courses or related courses that meet the requirements of the current department undergraduate curriculum.
                      • Has completed a basic statistics course, a research methods course, and a minimum of 15 hours in the Social Science area.
                      • Has a combined score on verbal and quantitative sections of GRE of at least 850.

Comment

actually its cool.

i have finally decided that Political Science will be the direction Im going to go.

does anyone know if you can go to an ACCREDITED law school online. Id like to go 2 classes a semester (spring and fall - no summer).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8509 users online. 263 members and 8246 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X