300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about criminal conviction

Hello everyone, I'm somewhat new to this forum, I have posted here along time ago but never really hung around. Just have a somewhat serious question.

March of last year I was arrested for Domestic Violence in Ohio after me and my brother got into an argument and to make a long, embarrassing story short, It was plead down to disorderly conduct and M4 from an M1. I know that LEO agencies can see the original charge and that sealing will not help me, but do I ever stand a chance of becoming a police officer?

I have no weapon disabilities because Lautenburg doesn't apply to sibling-on-sibling, or child on parent crimes. Not really sure that it matters at this point, however.

One stupid decision can stick with you forever.

I would not say that you don't have a chance, BUT you may need to put some more time in betwen you and the incident before you will be considered. But quite frankly, if you're going to stay looking in Ohio; one of the worst LEO employment markets in the Midwest.......It may be years before any agency there hires you anyway. You should strongly consider elsewhere. Regardless, be truthful of the circumstances when it comes up again, or you will never be hired anywhere. Good luck.
    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

Small.... I am originally from Ohio and I know multiple people who have more serious crimes on their record. With that being said they proved that they were above those crimes and showed that it was a one time only thing. Since they have become good officers and are well respected. Are you certified yet or are you planning on going through the academy?

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, I may be looking to leave the state after college, I'm thinking about going through the police academy there.

No certs or anything yet, just wanted to make sure this wouldn't be a permanent block for me.

Comment

Small

You should also remember that academies go through the same backround process as a department in Ohio. So if an academy accepts you they are taking a risk because you are not proven and have a criminal record. If that academy gives you a shot you have to work your butt off to impress the Sgts and instructors. They control whether you pass and they control how well you are percieved by other departments. So get yourself into an academy and work your butt of to impress them and show that they did not make a mistake.

Comment

I do not know of any agency in my area that will not hire someone with a disorderly conduct conviction. With that said as stated above, be entirely truthful with what happened. One of top reasons police officers lose jobs or don't get hired is by not being honest. Something stupid that would only get them suspended for a day and they lie about it and ends up getting them fired. Does it make you look like a better candidate? Absolutely not but, does it make you look like a hardcore criminal? No it doesn't do that either. The biggest thing that comes along with it is they will test you to see how you react when it's brought up, how you bring it up and what you say about the incident. Also stated above the more time you allow after the incident the more your chances for it not affecting you increase.

People get into disagreements it happens and sometimes it gets physical, especially with siblings. You have to show them that you are mature enough to handle yourself under the same kind of pressure with civilians because they will tempt you into fights on occasion.

Also as stated above Ohio is slim-pickin's for LE jobs. However I believe ODNR is hiring watercraft officers, not traditional LE but still same theory.
            In God we trust. All others we run NCIC.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
            PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

Comment

Originally posted by bcdep1799 View Post
              I do not know of any agency in my area that will not hire someone with a disorderly conduct conviction. With that said as stated above, be entirely truthful with what happened. One of top reasons police officers lose jobs or don't get hired is by not being honest. Something stupid that would only get them suspended for a day and they lie about it and ends up getting them fired. Does it make you look like a better candidate? Absolutely not but, does it make you look like a hardcore criminal? No it doesn't do that either. The biggest thing that comes along with it is they will test you to see how you react when it's brought up, how you bring it up and what you say about the incident. Also stated above the more time you allow after the incident the more your chances for it not affecting you increase.

People get into disagreements it happens and sometimes it gets physical, especially with siblings. You have to show them that you are mature enough to handle yourself under the same kind of pressure with civilians because they will tempt you into fights on occasion.

Also as stated above Ohio is slim-pickin's for LE jobs. However I believe ODNR is hiring watercraft officers, not traditional LE but still same theory.
              I was more concerned that they will see the original charge, and hire someone else. The disorderly conduct is bad, but not as bad as the original. Thanks for the advice

Comment

Well make yourself very presentable. There are alot of factors LE agencies will consider. If you hold a steady employment history, stayed out of trouble, military background...etc etc. You should definately consider the military is possible.
                “I'm glad to hear that the Chief (of Police) is a personal friend of yours. So you know someone who can post your bail.”

Comment

Originally posted by smallmanbig View Post
                  I was more concerned that they will see the original charge, and hire someone else. The disorderly conduct is bad, but not as bad as the original. Thanks for the advice
                  You can't change that now. You can only control your future. If you act confidant (not cocky) that you have nothing to hide that is all you can do. Keep applying if you don't get hired and eventually things will fall into place. Again, you cannot stop someone from not hiring you because of it but, you also don't know if they will hire you or not unless you try.

You're welcome.
                  In God we trust. All others we run NCIC.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
                  PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6696 users online. 317 members and 6379 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X