300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does one pass a Psych eval ??

Alittle background first: I took the psych eval for Miami-Dade Police and unfortunately received an "unacceptable rating" then I went back 6-8 months later with another police department and got the same results. Now 3.5 years later I am in the process of self-sponsoring myself thru the academy and was wondering if anyone knows realistically if I can pass this test with being profiled from the first two exams I took.

Originally posted by MDPD4LYFE View Post
    Alittle background first: I took the psych eval for Miami-Dade Police and unfortunately received an "unacceptable rating" then I went back 6-8 months later with another police department and got the same results. Now 3.5 years later I am in the process of self-sponsoring myself thru the academy and was wondering if anyone knows realistically if I can pass this test with being profiled from the first two exams I took.
    Best advice is answer the questions consistently. It's usually a lot of repeat questions but in different form. I'm guessing that changing ones answer for essentially the same question shows you don't comprehend the question in its entirety. There's so much to those tests that it's hard to say one thing will matter more than the other. My best advice is just stay consistent, and stay focused. You should be fine, and I would hope that they wouldn't use your previous exams against you. Good luck.

Comment

I don't have any specifics to add, other than the fact that an officer I know went through this simply trying to change departments.. It really got him down but he kept at it and eventually got the move he wanted. The moral of the story is that every department does it differently. Just be honest, be consistent, and keep charging on your goal. Don't let it get ya down....

Comment

Are you depressed? Generally speaking, applicants that tend to have negative perceptions of past relationships and professional experiences do poorly. If you experience symptoms such as headaches, restlessness, anxiety, anger, depression, intrusive thoughts, and answered those questions honestly, you may want to narrow it down there. Inconsistency will lower your score as well. Do your best to read carefully and try to recall if you answered a similar question and try to be consistent.

Comment

Be honest with yourself, first and foremost. A psych test is used to see if you can be trusted with all of what comes with this job. Answer all questions with your truth, not what you think the department wants to hear from an applicant.

Its a hard thing to take sometimes, but it must be said... not everyone can handle this job. Can you be trusted not just with all the responsibilities of this profession, but with all of the negatives? The long hours, they things you can never tell loved ones, the very worst of humanity? Ask these things of yourself, and answer honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by AZDesertRat View Post
            Be honest with yourself, first and foremost. A psych test is used to see if you can be trusted with all of what comes with this job. Answer all questions with your truth, not what you think the department wants to hear from an applicant.
            I'd respectfully disagree. If you try too hard to be 100% truthful, you could be in for real trouble. OTOH, if you start with the truth as your baseline but then go with what you think they want to hear instead of the exact and most literally accurate truth anytime you realize the litetral truth could even possibly be misinterpreted as being "inconsistent" in any way, shape, or form, you could be much better off than being 100% literally accurate and truthful. The details are in an old thread entitled "When Psychiatrists Attack" and the exchanges are all verbatim. IMO, some of those tests are better at DQing genuinely honest and psychologically stable candidates than they are at identifying potential psychopaths who just lie consistently throughout the entire test. (Yeah, that's mine. Currently waiting to hear back from admin to find out about reactivating my old account deactivated for non-use.)

[Edit] Here: http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...atrists-Attack!!
            Last edited by FedWriter; 01-07-2011, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Have you considered the possibility that you may be insane?

Generally, you probably wouldn't know if you were.

M-11
              “All men dream...... But not equally..
              Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
              but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
              for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Maybe it is your prescription for haldol????
                "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Word of advice "just be honest and don't try to out think the test" You will be exposed if you do.
                  MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Were the two tests with the same examiner or not? Maybe you simply are not a good fit for this field.
                    Last edited by just joe; 01-07-2011, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                      Were the two dests with the same examiner or not? Maybe you simply are not a good fit for this field.
                      yes both evals were in the same place however with different examiners. Believe me i am not crazy and all ive
                      ever wanted to do since i was 12 was become an officer and serve my community with the highest level of
                      integrity and honor.

Comment

You may want to consider finding someone in the next county or two over who does police psych exams, explain what is going on and get evaluated on your own dime.

Comment

Originally posted by FedWriter View Post
                          I'd respectfully disagree. If you try too hard to be 100% truthful, you could be in for real trouble. OTOH, if you start with the truth as your baseline but then go with what you think they want to hear instead of the exact and most literally accurate truth anytime you realize the litetral truth could even possibly be misinterpreted as being "inconsistent" in any way, shape, or form, you could be much better off than being 100% literally accurate and truthful. The details are in an old thread entitled "When Psychiatrists Attack" and the exchanges are all verbatim. IMO, some of those tests are better at DQing genuinely honest and psychologically stable candidates than they are at identifying potential psychopaths who just lie consistently throughout the entire test. (Yeah, that's mine. Currently waiting to hear back from admin to find out about reactivating my old account deactivated for non-use.)]!!
                          Negative, sir. The MMPI 2, which seems to be the most common written pych. test format for most departments nowadays, has built in controls to determine when a candidate is "faking good" or "faking bad"....in other words, if you respond to questions with what you think the department wants to hear, the psychologist who is supposed to evaluate the test scores is trained to know it. This test info is widely availible on the net for people to research.....

My adivce to the OP: You could have a couple things wrong with your appraoch. 1. You may be trying to "phych out" the phych test by giving PC answers, instead of how you really feel. Answer truthfully; if you are truthful I doubt you will show an inconsistent pattern. 2. Has been repeated by several others already: You could be giving inconsistent answers and thus generating a conflict. 3. Honestly, you might have some personal issues that need to be addressed. I cannot make further assumptions on this without knowing you personally. Some food for thought.....
                          Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

What are you going to do with your cert. if you can not pass the pysch again? Do you think it's worth it to spend the money to self-sponsor and then not pass the test again? Two times to me is a light bulb going off that, yeah something may be wrong and LE may not be in your future. But we are not you....Best of luck.
                            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Step 1 to passing a psych eval:

Don't ask how to pass a psych eval.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7065 users online. 397 members and 6668 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X