Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are applications to Federal Law Enforcement Agencies scored?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are applications to Federal Law Enforcement Agencies scored?

Hello All,

Like so many of us, I am aspiring to begin my career in law enforcement. I have submitted applications to those agencies with openings, but would like to gain a better understanding on how applications are scored.

I know that education, military service, and work experience are looked at mainly. In my case, I have a B.S. and M.S. in Justice, no military service, and 8 years of work experience in the public sector (albeit not in anything related to law enforcement). How would I be scored?

Also, to what extent are things like language skills regarded by hiring managers?

Many Thanks,
    Wolal
    “If a man wishes to be sure of the road he treads on, he must close his eyes and walk in the dark.”
    -St. John of the Cross

There's probably as many ways to score applicant applications as there are the total number of FLE agencies out there. Each agency has their own desired skill sets and "flavors of the month" in applicant backgrounds, so there's no one universal answer to this.

Without knowing *what* job experience you have, and what agencies you're applying to (and what their specific hiring needs are), and how those two mesh it's not easy to give an answer to your question with much substance.
    sigpic

Comment

If you figure that out you could write a book and make millions... Sorry for the sarcasm but I am not in a good place right now. Good luck.
      Last edited by lschremp; 01-06-2011, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info Kimble.

Not to oversimplify, but I am assuming FLE agencies do not use a "point system" with for example, a B.S. being 10 points, Military service being 20 points, additional language 5 points, etc. Regarding my specific skill set, my qualifications are:
        -B.S. and M.S. in Justice Studies
        -8 years experience in non-managerial customer service/hazardous materials with a local County agency
        -Intermediate Spanish Fluency
        -Extensive experience with MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, and Access as well online journal databases.

With regards to certain agencies looking for specific skill sets, I remember reading that when the FBI did their massive hire a few years ago, they were looking for individuals with finance and computer science skills. Thus far, I have applied for Dept. of Forestry, Secret Service S.A., and Army Criminal Investigation Command. May I am assume that the Secret Service is looking for individuals with some finance/business experience and Army Criminal Investigation Command for individuals with military experience?

Thanks,
        Wolal
        Last edited by wolal; 01-06-2011, 12:11 PM.
        “If a man wishes to be sure of the road he treads on, he must close his eyes and walk in the dark.”
        -St. John of the Cross

Comment

Artist's rendition of the process:

Comment

All of the agencies you have applied to are so vastly different I am wondering why you applied or if you even know what the exact duties of the job may entail? Or did you just decide to apply?

You degrees are, well ok to have in the private sector and yes they can help you in the government sector as well, however many agencies do not cares what degree you have. And your resume/job experience is nothing to shine. With the federal govt and the agencies you have applied with, you will be competing with applicants with numerous years of military and Law Enforcement backgrounds, along with college in there. Knowing a little of spanish, go Border Patrol.

Do a search on here as your question, which is similar if not exact to what others have asked before.
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Haha, I like the darts pic.

irishlad2nv, I am interested in your point regarding the importance of law enforcement experience. I have been testing here in California with local lea's for the past 10 months but with so few agencies hiring, I have not been successful. Almost all local lea's (except big cities and large Sheriff's Depts.) require that applicants have completed a POST academy before they can be considered for the position. The costs of doing this are way out of my league currently (usually about $5000-$6000 and it is full-time).

The local training academy here does offer the POST academy in Modular form meaning that it can be done in 3 separate parts. The first section called BAM III is about $1600 (tuition and supplies) and upon completion you receive a certification that makes you eligible to be hired as a Reserve Police Officer. Although, this is a rather vague question, do you think it is worth the cost to do this Modular course? Would it make me more marketable to federal lea's?

Thanks for the advice,
              Wolal
              -St. John of the Cross

Comment

A lot of Federal Jobs usually require KSA (Knowledge Skills Assesments) very few federal agencies actually have tests. They basically look to see if your resume and your answers to KSA's match what they are looking for. For the most part points are for Veteran Preference, you either get 5 or you get 10. 5 points for honorable service, 10 points for service in a war zone, or due to being rated at 10% or higher disability by Veteran Affairs. The KSA's are more written explanations of your experience and training that would meet the needs of the qualifications. One big thing in the resume is the key words they look for in it. Look at the job announcement and see if your resume can meet the key words in the job description and qualifications.
                GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Good Advice. Thanks! I will revise my resume accordingly. Anyone have an opinion on to what extent completion of some law enforcement training courses will help one's resume?
                  -St. John of the Cross

Comment

Last edited by wolal; 01-06-2011, 05:26 PM. Reason: Duplicate
                    -St. John of the Cross

Comment

Originally posted by wolal View Post
                      Good Advice. Thanks! I will revise my resume accordingly. Anyone have an opinion on to what extent completion of some law enforcement training courses will help one's resume?
                      The degree is good and what stood out to me was the intermediate proficiency in Spanish. This leads me into advising you to consider DHS/TSA. TSA is currently hiring what seems to be only/mostly part-time agents. Apply, test, and try to get onto a local airport part-time. This gives you some security experience and also has you working for DHS. It's not law enforcement, but its something.

Then at the same time apply to CBP and continue working on your Spanish fluency. The degree and language seem like a good combination and having the TSA experience could be a good blend. I'm personally waiting for TSA part-time positions to open in my area to make that a part-time job. I applied and tested and am just waiting for something within a 50 mile radius.

Comment

Originally posted by wolal View Post
                        Hello All,

Like so many of us, I am aspiring to begin my career in law enforcement. I have submitted applications to those agencies with openings, but would like to gain a better understanding on how applications are scored.

I know that education, military service, and work experience are looked at mainly. In my case, I have a B.S. and M.S. in Justice, no military service, and 8 years of work experience in the public sector (albeit not in anything related to law enforcement). How would I be scored?

Also, to what extent are things like language skills regarded by hiring managers?

Many Thanks,
                        Wolal
                        Well let's see here... don't tell anyone about this, it's supposed to remain at the HQ levels only.

Normal Review Scoring for Federal Jobs:
                        Question 1.
                        Is one of the applicant's family members a previous employee of the agency or some other agency?
                        Yes=15 points
                        No=0 points

Question 2.
                        Are any of the managers/supervisors/directors of the applicant's agency a friend, neighbor, or close associate?
                        Yes=15 points
                        No=-1 point

Question 3.
                        Does the applicant have a college degree?
                        Yes, Masters or higher= 3 points
                        Yes, Bachelors= 2 points
                        Yes, Associates=-1 point
                        No= 0
                        Note: If the answer to questions 1 or 2 is yes, then add 10 points to the total question score

Question 4.
                        Does the applicant have any prior Law Enforcement Experience?
                        Yes, Prior local cop= 3 points
                        Yes, Prior FBI= Must be an error, check again
                        Yes, Prior DEA= 2 points
                        Yes, Prior ATF= 2 points
                        Yes, Prior SS= 1 point
                        Yes, Prior CBP= 0 points
                        Yes, Prior TSA= -4 points
                        Yes, All others= 1 point
                        No= 1 point

Question 5.
                        Does the applicant have prior Military Experience?
                        Yes, Wartime Vet= 10 points
                        Yes, Marine, non-wartime=4 points
                        Yes, Army Ranger, non-wartime= 5 points
                        Yes, Navy Seal, non-wartime= 5 points
                        Yes, Army, non-wartime= 2 points
                        Yes, Navy, non-wartime= 1 point
                        Yes, Air Force, non-wartime= -1 point
                        Yes, All others, non-wartime= 1 point
                        No= 0 points

There's more but this should give you an idea how the fed government works. Anything over 15 points get's you in the door
                        Last edited by CBPO I; 01-06-2011, 07:05 PM.

Comment

CBPO I:
                          Nice!!! I wish it were that easy Maybe, it is more like the throwing darts pic?

Zach, Thanks for the advice. I appreciate your guidance on a career path. I will certainly follow it. I noticed some openings locally and will pursue.

Thanks.
                          -St. John of the Cross

Comment

Originally posted by CBPO I View Post
                            Well let's see here... don't tell anyone about this, it's supposed to remain at the HQ levels only.

Normal Review Scoring for Federal Jobs:

Question 4.
                            Does the applicant have any prior Law Enforcement Experience?
                            Yes, Prior local cop= 3 points
                            Yes, Prior FBI= Must be an error, check again
                            Yes, Prior DEA= 2 points
                            Yes, Prior ATF= 2 points
                            Yes, Prior SS= 1 point
                            Yes, Prior CBP= 0 points
                            Yes, Prior TSA= -4 points
                            Yes, All others= 1 point
                            No= 1 point
                            This is classic

Comment

Some of my friends favorite words came to mind when I wrote that such as nepotism and cronyism. Sadly and often is closer to the truth than we would like to believe.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5152 users online. 239 members and 4913 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X