300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FERS Question

Question regarding FERS retirement. Prior to getting on as an 1811 this year, I worked two years as an 0083 with DOD. I understand the FERS LEO retirement system differs, but I'm wondering about the two years I paid into my pension in the non LEO covered position. Do I have to buy back those years or does everything I paid into it just roll over?

rolls over.

Comment

It is added to your 12(d) retirement. So the calculation after 20 years 12(d) service would be 20*1.7%+2*1.0%=36%. 36%x (the average of you top three years)
      But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Also note if you are planning to retire at the bar minimum of 20 years for LE under FERS 12(d), it must be 20 years of 12(d) covered service, so the two years while counting towards overall retirement don't count towards the min 20 for early retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by kc12 View Post
          It is added to your 12(d) retirement. So the calculation after 20 years 12(d) service would be 20*1.7%+2*1.0%=36%. 36%x (the average of you top three years)
          Thank you Sir!

Comment

Here's another question in reference to FERS. What if you've been under primary LEO coverage for 2 years, but leave for secondary coverage? Can you keep your primary designation? If not, what is the benefit difference?

Comment

Originally posted by tsfl89 View Post
              Here's another question in reference to FERS. What if you've been under primary LEO coverage for 2 years, but leave for secondary coverage? Can you keep your primary designation? If not, what is the benefit difference?
              Ok, little confused by this, but if i'm reading it right i'm assuming you saying your moving from active LE 12(d) position to a management 12(d) covered position, correct?

If so there is no difference per say and it all counts the same towards retirement. The management positions are designated secondary 12(d) to encourage patrol officers and such to move into management without fear of a smaller retirement benefit. I'm not sure though if there is a time limit one must have had primary 12(d) coverage for though before moving into secondary 12(d) coverage. Hopefully someone else can answer that part.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul554 View Post
                Ok, little confused by this, but if i'm reading it right i'm assuming you saying your moving from active LE 12(d) position to a management 12(d) covered position, correct?

If so there is no difference per say and it all counts the same towards retirement. The management positions are designated secondary 12(d) to encourage patrol officers and such to move into management without fear of a smaller retirement benefit. I'm not sure though if there is a time limit one must have had primary 12(d) coverage for though before moving into secondary 12(d) coverage. Hopefully someone else can answer that part.
                Not a management position. I've put in for an 1811 position that's covered under secondary LEO retirement. There are several 1811 positions that are under secondary retirement. I've heard that if you come from primary LEO retirement, you retain that retirement if you move into secondary. I was wondering if that was true and, like you said, if I must be in primary for a certain amount of time.

Comment

Not a management position. I've put in for an 1811 position that's covered under secondary LEO retirement. There are several 1811 positions that are under secondary retirement. I've heard that if you come from primary LEO retirement, you retain that retirement if you move into secondary. I was wondering if that was true and, like you said, if I must be in primary for a certain amount of time.
                  Hmm that is indeed a good one! I'm only familiar with the management position secondary 12 (d), to be honest i didn't even know there were 1811's with secondary, i thought they were all under primary.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul554 View Post
                    Hmm that is indeed a good one! I'm only familiar with the management position secondary 12 (d), to be honest i didn't even know there were 1811's with secondary, i thought they were all under primary.
                    Yeah. US Fish and Wildlife is what I applied for. They are secondary. I was referred, but will be shocked if I even get an interview. I probably won't even need to know the answer, but would still be nice to have the information.

Comment

Just reading the statue, to retain LEO status, it says you need three years as a primary before taking on a secondary position.

Is this a HQ job? Line investigators are primary leos at USFW (or so I thought). I know only staff jobs like desk officer, ops coordinators, fire arms (use of force coordinators) and that ilk that are secondary.
                      "From now until the end of the world, we and it shall be remembered. We few, we Band of Brothers. For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare ("King Henry V")

Comment

Originally posted by Scout0315 View Post
                        Just reading the statue, to retain LEO status, it says you need three years as a primary before taking on a secondary position.

Is this a HQ job? Line investigators are primary leos at USFW (or so I thought). I know only staff jobs like desk officer, ops coordinators, fire arms (use of force coordinators) and that ilk that are secondary.
                        Nope. It's a FO 1811 position. The announcement stated it's under secondary LEO retirement. I'm wondering if I were offered the spot (which, in all likelihood won't happen), what impact it would have on my retirement.

Comment

Nope. It's a FO 1811 position. The announcement stated it's under secondary LEO retirement. I'm wondering if I were offered the spot (which, in all likelihood won't happen), what impact it would have on my retirement.
                          Wow, I did not know that they were considered secondary positions.

There are some experienced natural resource SA/officer that can give you a more informed answer. I can read you the statue, but they would give a more real world answer.

There, as always, what a statue says, and then what an agency does.

Maybe a question to ask if you get an interview.
                          "From now until the end of the world, we and it shall be remembered. We few, we Band of Brothers. For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare ("King Henry V")

Comment

Originally posted by Scout0315 View Post
                            Wow, I did not know that they were considered secondary positions.

There are some experienced natural resource SA/officer that can give you a more informed answer. I can read you the statue, but they would give a more real world answer.

There, as always, what a statue says, and then what an agency does.

Maybe a question to ask if you get an interview.
                            Yeah, I've read the statute where it gives the 3 year rule. That's what I was hoping for if I was ever offered a job with secondary retirement before I get my third year completed (that they would take care of me in that aspect anyway). Like I said, probably won't matter as I've heard those jobs are nearly impossible to get without a hook or being an 1801 with them.

Comment

I'm wondering if I were offered the spot (which, in all likelihood won't happen), what impact it would have on my retirement.
                              You would lose your 12(d) retirement.
                              But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10629 users online. 349 members and 10280 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X