300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good double major?

is criminal justice/sociology a good double major for me? i want to be a police officer, probation officer or maybe a corrections officer. some people say they are useless degrees and it doesnt matter which degree you have when applying to be a police officer. will it help me at all in getting the job or should i major in nursing and have that to fall back on? that would be my second career choice because the pay is good.

The best major is the one YOU will enjoy and therefore complete... No one really cares much about what your degree is...
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 14USC89a View Post
      The best major is the one YOU will enjoy and therefore complete... No one really cares much about what your degree is...
      +1. I will add that it would be better to get your bachelors with one major and then get your masters afterward, instead of a double major. When it comes to LEO jobs at any level, they don't care what your degree is in and could care less if you had a double major. All they want to know is if you have a degree, and if you have a grad degree.

I have mine in CJ and I'm currently going back for my management masters. If I had to do it over again, I'd get my degree in something other than CJ so I could get into another field if I ever wanted to. However, I doubt I'll ever want that (I love being a LEO) and I enjoyed CJ in college.

Good luck!

Comment

Nobody cares what your major is and a double major doesn't mean anything for a LE job.

Do you want to be a nurse? Nursing is not an easy degree.

Comment

Mike,
          I have a triple major in Crim/Soc/Psych and have worked in LEO for years. Having three degrees has opened up doors for me that wouldn't have opened with one degree like everyone else seems to have. It helped me shoot through the ranks and has since opened up several doors outside LEO life. I say go for it because it will make you stand out from the crowd, especially when you go to advance in the ranks.

Comment

I also agree with tsf go on and get a masters but do your masters in something other than LEO. Getting my masters has allowed me to pick up a part time job at a university that adds an additional $2000 a month to my pocket.

Comment

I'm sorry I read your post wrong you said double major not double degrees (theres a difference) I actually have three seperate degrees not three majors attached to one degree. I would think that doube majoring would be good also.

Comment

Originally posted by DDixon1000 View Post
                I'm sorry I read your post wrong you said double major not double degrees (theres a difference) I actually have three seperate degrees not three majors attached to one degree.
                I guess all that edumacation didn't help with reading comprehension, eh?
                NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

I want to add another 2 cents... If you are not sure what you want to study, look for a STEM degree... (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math)... those are the areas of largest job growth/need in the US workforce. Should you desire to move from the LEO career path, you will be very employable in the future...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 14USC89a View Post
                    I want to add another 2 cents... If you are not sure what you want to study, look for a STEM degree... (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math)... those are the areas of largest job growth/need in the US workforce. Should you desire to move from the LEO career path, you will be very employable in the future...
                    +1. You can get into LEO fields with ANY degree, but not the other way around. Any cop will tell you that a degree in CJ can't prepare you. You have to get experience. Everything in this field is OJT, even when moving within the field. Just something to keep in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                      I guess all that edumacation didn't help with reading comprehension, eh?
                      lol I know right?

Comment

I agree with all of the posts on here. I am a dual degree student in Homeland Security and Aviation Management. I don't necessarily think it is any different than having the initial degree, but it doesn't hurt. Plus if you enjoy both of your programs go for it. There is a possibility that a specialized unit may open and your sociology major could come in handy. Good luck with your schooling, and the hurry up and wait job hunt

Comment

Mike-
                          It's very ambitious to go for 2 degrees, but I would agree with those that say to get an advanced degree. Sure, I earned an MS last year and am still working on my first job in LE, but interviewers seem curious and say it makes me an attractive candidate. If you want to go for 1811 or something else in LE, get a degree that is difficult and not common - languages, accounting, sciences (to include nursing).
                          Good Luck

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11873 users online. 448 members and 11425 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X