Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police Officer in the Philadelphia area?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Police Officer in the Philadelphia area?

    I'm looking to become a police officer in the Philadelphia area when I graduate college in May. It looks like Philly police is not accepting any new applications now and I can't find any surrounding areas that are hiring either. I'd like to live in or around Philly, so any department within a reasonable distance is fine by me. Anyone hear of any leads on Philadelphia Police?

  • #2
    Try Pa state Police, they make 53k to start and u should have no problem getting stationed in or around philly. Way better job then philly PD and more money and room for advancement.
    Ivan, did you see the sun rise this morningsigpic?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dcrowley23 View Post
      I'm looking to become a police officer in the Philadelphia area when I graduate college in May. It looks like Philly police is not accepting any new applications now and I can't find any surrounding areas that are hiring either. I'd like to live in or around Philly, so any department within a reasonable distance is fine by me. Anyone hear of any leads on Philadelphia Police?
      Unless your academy certified, you wont really find any positions available. Wait until SEPTA transit police open up.
      I don't answer recruitment messages....

      Comment


      • #4
        Philly has a lot of bad sections, so you will see a lot of action. The problem is Philly PD has a pretty bad reputation right now, especially in the last couple of years, lots of dirty cops getting swept up. In this economy, you may have to get in as a stepping stone, if you do, please do not get "flipped" like the other dirty cops. If you are going to graduate with a BA, use Philly PD as a stepping stone (LEO experience) while applying to bigger and better agencies).

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jb5722
          try baltimore, philly has lost a hell of a lot of guys in the past couple of years. they're having guys in patrol cars get ambushed by thugs with ak's, think carefully before you sign up to work in friggin bagdad.
          That was 2 years ago...
          I don't answer recruitment messages....

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm in the same boat. I live in Philly and have been aggressively seeking employment in the area with no luck whatesoever. Nobody is hiring. I've even applied to both the Game Commission and the Fish and Boat Commission for unpaid volunteer deputy positions in order to gain experience, but have yet to hear back from either. I haven't looked at State Police seriously because I thought they required relocation to the duty station of their choice within the state. I can't relocate, so I haven't considered PSP, but certainly would if choice of duty station was up to me. As far as Philly police goes, they have a page on their website which seems to imply veterans are encouraged to apply anytime, whether they are currently seeking recruit applicants or not, so I did. Once again, haven't heard anything and don't expect to, but it doesn't hurt to throw my name in the hat anyhow. I emailed about PA state Capitol Police as well, and was told they expect hiring to open up again soon, but they require PA act 120 certification and I simply can't afford to put myself through the academy right now. It's a tough time for certain, but I feel positive nonetheless and will keep on digging until I find something. I'm starting to apply for armed security guard positions now too, with the thought that it might be a good way to gain applicable experience in the meanwhile until I can find an agency that's willing to give me a shot. Anyone have any input on that idea? Oh yah, I'm also testing for CBP on teusday, so wish me luck!

            EDIT....

            Forgot to mention, to the original poster. There is a job posting on the state civil service commission website for a Dept of Conservation and Natural Resources Ranger Trainee. They require 15 Credits in related classwork, which I don't have. Might be worth looking into though if you think you might qualify. Here's the link. Look under the law enforcement section.

            http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...ies/590498#law

            Also, Lancaster County Sheriff's Dept. has a job announcement up for Deputy Sheriff Recruit. Lancaster's too far for me to realistically commute, otherwise I'd be all over this, might give it a shot anyways and worry about the logistics later. Once again, might be worth looking into if that wouldn't be a problem for you though. Good luck!

            http://www.co.lancaster.pa.us/lanco/...IFF-Deputy.pdf
            Last edited by NHA; 12-11-2010, 05:01 PM. Reason: Additional info for original poster

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jb5722
              you know what your right, i'm sure since 2 years have passed the entire criminal population of philadelphia has probably decided that such tactics are no longer fair to use against the police, and they wont use them again.

              in the past 4 years they've lost 7 officers, name another place where thats happened recently.
              I wouldn't want someone to work for PPD anyways if they were scared everyday. We all know what we sign up for and some people shouldn't work in a urban city if they can't handle it.

              5 of the 7 officers you are probably referring too had a LODD as a result of gun fire. The other 2 involved car accident. Where else has this happened? Do you not remember the tragic events near Tacoma, WA, or the 3 officers killed in Pittsburgh? In addition you also are not factoring in how PPD is the 3rd largest department so of course they have a higher chance of having a LODD than other departments.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jb5722
                you know what your right, i'm sure since 2 years have passed the entire criminal population of philadelphia has probably decided that such tactics are no longer fair to use against the police, and they wont use them again.

                in the past 4 years they've lost 7 officers, name another place where thats happened recently that you wouldn't consider a war zone for law enforcement.
                And you live in Philly?
                I don't answer recruitment messages....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by NHA View Post
                  I'm in the same boat. I live in Philly and have been aggressively seeking employment in the area with no luck whatesoever. Nobody is hiring. I've even applied to both the Game Commission and the Fish and Boat Commission for unpaid volunteer deputy positions in order to gain experience, but have yet to hear back from either. I haven't looked at State Police seriously because I thought they required relocation to the duty station of their choice within the state. I can't relocate, so I haven't considered PSP, but certainly would if choice of duty station was up to me. As far as Philly police goes, they have a page on their website which seems to imply veterans are encouraged to apply anytime, whether they are currently seeking recruit applicants or not, so I did. Once again, haven't heard anything and don't expect to, but it doesn't hurt to throw my name in the hat anyhow. I emailed about PA state Capitol Police as well, and was told they expect hiring to open up again soon, but they require PA act 120 certification and I simply can't afford to put myself through the academy right now. It's a tough time for certain, but I feel positive nonetheless and will keep on digging until I find something. I'm starting to apply for armed security guard positions now too, with the thought that it might be a good way to gain applicable experience in the meanwhile until I can find an agency that's willing to give me a shot. Anyone have any input on that idea? Oh yah, I'm also testing for CBP on teusday, so wish me luck!

                  EDIT....

                  Forgot to mention, to the original poster. There is a job posting on the state civil service commission website for a Dept of Conservation and Natural Resources Ranger Trainee. They require 15 Credits in related classwork, which I don't have. Might be worth looking into though if you think you might qualify. Here's the link. Look under the law enforcement section.

                  http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...ies/590498#law

                  Also, Lancaster County Sheriff's Dept. has a job announcement up for Deputy Sheriff Recruit. Lancaster's too far for me to realistically commute, otherwise I'd be all over this, might give it a shot anyways and worry about the logistics later. Once again, might be worth looking into if that wouldn't be a problem for you though. Good luck!

                  http://www.co.lancaster.pa.us/lanco/...IFF-Deputy.pdf
                  I dont believe the PA capitol police are in Philly anymore since the state sold off the state building.

                  Also Lancaster requires you to live in county.
                  I don't answer recruitment messages....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    For the OP...if still interested. Pottstown Police is doing initial physical assessments feb. 6th. I'll be participating in that myself, info is on the pottstown police website, just google it. I also have applied to New Castle County Police in Delaware, which is close enough as well to relocate to and still be close enough to Philly to suit my family's needs. Also, University of Delaware Police Dept. is hiring in Newark, which I've applied for and University of the Sciences Department of Public Safety is hiring too (also applied for). There's alot of opportunity out there within a 50 mile radius or so, just keep looking. The best job search site I've found is Washington Post.com national job search. I've also been applying to alot of government and government contract security positions as these also interest me and, I feel, would be a great way to gain experience or could even be a great career move in and of themselves. If anyone else has any further advice or possible leads for the OP or myself, please chime in, any and all input is of course deeply appreciated.
                    Last edited by NHA; 01-09-2011, 12:38 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Dig around for the "First Judicial District Warrant Unit." They are employed by the court system and enforce bench warrants issued out of Philadelphia only. You get to wear fancy looking gear and spend a great amount of time arresting people, but as I understand it, they pay is horrid. The National Park Service is often looking for LE Park Rangers in Philly. Amtrak PD as well. Is there a Veteran's Administration hospital in the area? They are always looking for folks too. Temple University Police? They go to the Phila academy. Delaware River Port Authority Police?

                      Try being a CO at Montgomery County or at Philly prisons, if nothing else you will learn about conversing with criminals.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BillyJonze View Post
                        Dig around for the "First Judicial District Warrant Unit." They are employed by the court system and enforce bench warrants issued out of Philadelphia only. You get to wear fancy looking gear and spend a great amount of time arresting people, but as I understand it, they pay is horrid. The National Park Service is often looking for LE Park Rangers in Philly. Amtrak PD as well. Is there a Veteran's Administration hospital in the area? They are always looking for folks too. Temple University Police? They go to the Phila academy. Delaware River Port Authority Police?

                        Try being a CO at Montgomery County or at Philly prisons, if nothing else you will learn about conversing with criminals.
                        1. To get into being an LE ranger with NPS @ Independence, you must pay your way through a commissioned academy, closest being in Ohio. You might as well spend the money and go through Act 120

                        2.VA Hospital is not hiring and if your not a vet you more than likely wont get in.

                        3. Amtrak PD is NOT hiring for Philly

                        4. Temple University is also not hiring

                        5. DRPA is also not hiring.

                        6. Get your facts straight...
                        I don't answer recruitment messages....

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hey Billyjonze, thank you for the positive input. I've looked into most of those options already, and most of them are viable but not currently hiring. Good list of agencies to look at for other people just starting their search around here though, and eventually all of them will be hiring so it's worth it to check them out now. I'll look into the warrant unit though, this is the first I've heard of that one. As far as the NPS Park ranger positions, I've looked into that as well and there actually IS a brand new program at Temple for the NPS SLETP certification starting (if I remember correctly) in May. The admissions information is going to be formally released jan. 11th and I'm already on the list to recieve it. SO anyone else who sees this and is interested in NPS Park Ranger, there now IS a local program in Philly. Costs almost 6000 bucks though, and just like act 120....doesn't guarantee a job upon completion.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                            1. To get into being an LE ranger with NPS @ Independence, you must pay your way through a commissioned academy, closest being in Ohio. You might as well spend the money and go through Act 120

                            2.VA Hospital is not hiring and if your not a vet you more than likely wont get in.

                            3. Amtrak PD is NOT hiring for Philly

                            4. Temple University is also not hiring

                            5. DRPA is also not hiring.

                            6. Get your facts straight...


                            Really bro? Get my facts straight? I was trying to be helpful to this guy, shooting out some of the information I learned while I worked in Philadelphia. Get my facts straight? I didn't do a complete search of the websites of each of these agencies. My mistake. Calm your self down and go do something productive with yourself

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Warrant unit is hiring, good tip Billyjonze, thanks again! You're right, pay isn't great, but if I can get it I'll take it. Going to add it to the growing list of agencies I've applied to. One of these applications has to pan out eventually...I flat out refuse to accept any other outcome. Cheers!

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 13030 users online. 483 members and 12547 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X