300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age issues

Ok so when did it become legal to discriminate against someone for age. There are so many federal jobs I can't get after 37 and I found out tonight that large Police Departments have a cut off at 35. Even the Army stops at 40 but you can't get into officer candidate school if over 28. This is BS!!!!

you can get into ocs with an age waiver.

Comment

The federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) permanently exempts fire fighters, emergency medical personnel, and police officers from the federal ban on age limits and employment. The new law authorizes state and local governments to establish mandatory retirement ages of at least 55, as well as maximum hiring ages.

It went into effect around 12 years ago and was retroactive to January 1, 1994, to cover municipalities whose age limits became illegal when the ADEA took affect for public safety personnel.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Who told you, you couldn't go to OCS? I thought cut off was 42?
        Let's be civil

Comment

Depends on the area and department with an age cut off. NY is 35 and RI that I know of. There are many departments that have no age cut off.
          Where in NC have you come across that? I haven't seen that in any of the bigger Departments down there.
          MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

I think for USMC it is lower (28-30) but you can apply for waiver

Originally posted by Jumpman247 View Post
            Who told you, you couldn't go to OCS? I thought cut off was 42?

Comment

There are quite a few PDs in Texas without maximum ages.
              They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

No maximum age limit for police in Kansas, and none in Missouri either.
                What is Perseverance?
                -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Guess it depends on the federal agency but I've been told it's pretty common practice to waive the age cutoff. In particular for the BIA
                  He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High
                  shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
                  - Psalm 91:1

On Ignore - A few folks.

Comment

Washington State has no maximum age requirements either. The only agency I know of that has a maximum age is the State Patrol. I know several officers who are in their mid-60s and still going strong for state, county, and city agencies....

Comment

Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post
                      Washington State has no maximum age requirements either. The only agency I know of that has a maximum age is the State Patrol. I know several officers who are in their mid-60s and still going strong for state, county, and city agencies....
                      Yeah but would you hire someone in the Mid-60's?? Send them to the academy?
                      Preliminary Background Check = Pass
                      Civil Service Test = Pass
                      Physical Fitness Test = Pass
                      Police Interview Board = Pass
                      Civil Service Interview Board = Pass
                      List Complied = I'm #2
                      Background = Pass
                      Chief/Admin Board = Pass
                      Offer of Employment = Given and Accepted
                      Physical/Psych Exam = Pass
                      Drug Screen = Pass
                      Start Date = Dec 13
                      Academy Date (I'm shooting for) = 2 Jan 11

Comment

Originally posted by H&D View Post
                        Yeah but would you hire someone in the Mid-60's?? Send them to the academy?
                        Even if they scored high enough on the list to be reachable, it is highly unlikely someone that age is going to pass the physical agility and the medical. Ortho alone is almost guaranteed to be an instant DQ given the number of disks that have already herniated due to age.
                        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I just turned 36 and will have no problems with physical agility tests or the course work. I am still young.

Comment

If you are looking into Federal, go to BOP, BP, USSS UD, or a "covered" place ASAP and stop your clock

Originally posted by nobodymove54 View Post
                            I just turned 36 and will have no problems with physical agility tests or the course work. I am still young.

Comment

In Massachusetts the age limit for the state police is 35. For local police there are some cities and towns that have adopted a age limit of 32 and for the rest there is no age limit. I personally feel that the age limit is garbage because if a candidate can pass the PAT and as a recruit can keep up with the PT then it shouldn't matter. After all I know quite a few older officers on my job that are very physically capable.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6013 users online. 255 members and 5758 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X