Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=FreeAgent;2636876]
    Originally posted by lschremp View Post
    I think the Vet Preference is a good thing, but unfair to those that have been to combat...QUOTE]

These sailors are not boots on the ground. Are they fighting the fight? Are they less deserveing because they are not getting shot at on the ground?

No need to question your commitment to are country lschremp! But come on man, did you really expect more before the admin,supply, or cook else were? Everything is linked in one fashion or another? Or are you just trying to impress us with your accomplishments...
    Not trying to impress anyone, I did my job and did it proudly, I never asked anything in return. Just trying to establish a little credibility nothing more. I absolutely think these seaman deserve extra points, like I said it should be based on Merit. I have also seen individuals that spend their entire careers at on the same base with the opportunity to deploy and making up some excuse why they can't, but guess what they get the same Vet Preference as I do or these sailors that are hanging it on the line on an aircraft carrier. I don't think that is fair. Everyone is able to go to the AOR there are every AFSC or MDS represented and there are always short falls for every AEF. I spent some time on an aircraft carrier and don't wish that on anyone, it is not for me. The last time I was there we had cook, admin and supply persons in country and I think if they go into country then absolutely they should get the same, they don't have to go outside the wire but they do need to be in harms way and they should be awarded appropriately. Like I said my opinion, I just think the system needs to be revised.
    Last edited by lschremp; 01-27-2011, 12:47 AM. Reason: posted in the quote

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
      As stated, not sure what you did in the Military but there were tons of folks supporting you and your brothers/sisters out there. Just because they didn't get shot at.....doesn't mean they shouldn't be given points as well. As stated in an earlier thread....it takes team work to win a 2 front war. You can't do it yourself..... Which means you need Commo, Supply, Admin, JAG, MPs, FA, Pilots, etc.... Last time I checked, they were away from their families just as much (or if not longer) than others......in the same crap hole Countries......

Hell, my local Guard Unit is FA and they ended up doing 13 months of Convoy Duties.... and got fragged with IEDs and Mortars on a daily basis....They weren't supposed to be doing that. They were supposed to be running TOCs.....but got called up, accepted the challenge, and kicked ***...... And brought everyone home.....

How do you start the division....? You can't. I know plenty of 11Bs that stayed in the rear with the gear running Ops or doing other crap....while others were out in it daily......Same with lots of other MOSs..... Some go/some don't..... Just the way it works.....and all of us that have been Military know that.

You give everyone the same points because at one time or another, they signed the dotted line.... and at the point we each wrote a check to our nation for and up to including our life, NO MATTER WHAT OUR JOB WAS....... That's something that takes guts and honor, which are two things that some folks will never understand.....
      Bearcat you and I are on the same page, but I think the system is a little out dated and due for a little overhaul. Last time I checked all of those jobs were represented in SWA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
        That is the million dollar question no one knows right now.....

I would suspect it will be an open hire.....kinda like the Air Marshals do.....you've got 2 weeks or so to apply....then they will go from there. There will some sort of test (who knows if it will be like the TEA or something else), interviews, backgrounds, etc.....then hiring.

Once again, that's only a guess.... Who knows what will really happen. They could have an opening for Status/Vet Candidates on.....or it could be open to everyone under 2 diffferent annoucements......

Just keep checking USAJOBs and here.....and go from there when it happens.
        That is actually what I was hoping. I would like to see more agencies open up status announcements. Recently ICE opened up a few for IEA positions. I wish the US Marshals would do the same. Entry level DUSM position at GL-5/7 level for status candidates.
        What is Perseverance?
        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Originally posted by lschremp View Post
          Bearcat you and I are on the same page, but I think the system is a little out dated and due for a little overhaul. Last time I checked all of those jobs were represented in SWA.
          I think it's just fine..... As stated, how do you separate folks when it comes to rating them...? Do you really think OPM or an agency wants to jack with that mess....?

I could argue that back in the 80s when there werent' shots being fired, those folks won the Cold War (and they did) and there wasn't real shots fired....but they trained, trained, trained know that if the balloon went up, that they were going to beholding the line at the Fulda Gap till re-enforcements showed up from the States.....

Same with Korea.... Those folks are still holding the line as a speed bump if/when the NKA opt to head South. Should that demise their duties/service because they didn't fire shots at folks....?

I think not.....

Comment

• I am done arguing, I understand what the law says and think that everyone that services is entitled to Vet Preference, but if there job or position put them in harms way they should be given a little incentive. That is my opinion, but I guess the only one that matters is yours!! So enjoy it, it is not worth me trying to explain myself to someone that obviously thinks they are the only one that is right. I am done commenting on this tread until it becomes productive again.
            Last edited by lschremp; 01-27-2011, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• Ischemp: I second that, you getting out soon "old man".
              Yep, I'm old- 3 years 11 months and 4 days till 57 but who's counting?

I could have gone 3 years ago but I'm having too much fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by DUSM1811 View Post
                Yep, I'm old- 3 years 11 months and 4 days till 57 but who's counting?

I could have gone 3 years ago but I'm having too much fun.
                Makes you feel good to do good things and you don't want it to stop, I know the feeling... Thank you for your service, retirement will be well deserved.

Comment

• Originally posted by lschremp View Post
                  I am done arguing, I understand what the law says and think that everyone that services is entitled to Vet Preference, but if there job or position put them in harms way they should be given a little incentive. That is my opinion, but I guess the only one that matters is yours!! So enjoy it, it is not worth me trying to explain myself to someone that obviously thinks they are the only one that is right. I am done commenting on this tread until it becomes productive again.
                  Done as well since you can't get it through your head that you wouldn't be able to complete any missions without support folks.....and those folks get the same stutus you do when it comes to hiring....no matter if they are in theater or 7000 miles away.......

Comment

• You know I was mad initally when I learned I was SOL due to FCIP ending. I said to myself..this isnt fair, damn gov, Mr. Dean etc etc. But then I remembered something my father told me, who is a veteran and worked for the gov for 30 years."Fair is something you take your kids to in the summer." Yes it sucks guys, I wanted this job bad too, and was blackballed at work because of it. Such is life, not fair. Suck it up and put your boots back on. I know IF I get the chance for another interview, I will have one hell of a story to tell the panel. If I dont, life goes on.....and at least I know I gave it my all. Just my two cents after a roller coster of emotions.
                    "In valor there is hope"

Comment

• Haha, Blackballed, I like that word.
                      US Marshals Region 8
                      Information Session Anchorage: December, 2009
                      Interview, Written Test, Fingerprinting: January, 2010
                      Tentative Offer: April, 2010
                      Medical Examination: Cleared July, 2010.
                      Background Interview: May, 2010
                      Background Investigation: Adjudicated, Feb, 2011
                      Fitness Test 1: Excellent, August 17th, 2010
                      Drug Test: Pending
                      Fitness Test 2: Superior, March, 3rd, 2011
                      FLETC: March, 16th, 2011

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11128 users online. 440 members and 10688 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X