300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGA Police???

Does anyone know if the NGA police are covered under law enforcement retirement? Are they TRUE LE, (i.e. actually carry weapons off-duty, have law enforcement powers, ect.) or are they security guards with police title as are VA police?

BTW, that was not intended as a dig at VA police...........

My experience being an applicant with this organization has been nothing but positive. After speaking with several current officers, one of whom was an academy class behind mine, NGA is working hard to establish a real police force. Many of thier officers are deputized as US Marshals, and serve a variety of functions including executive protection, and overseas TDYs. When speaking to a LT, he informed me that they have petitioned for take-homes and off-duty carry authority, those this was several months ago. If a current NGA officer is on the board, of course he/she can speak better as to internal processes, but as a former city cop, the thought of joining a new, developing department is very appealing. I was told they have funding for over 300 positions, but have less then 50-60. The problem lies in the clearances needed, as NGA is an intelligence agency.

Comment

Here's where I am at...

Just got back from VA last night (24 hours of driving in a 36 hour time period = awesome). Had the physical fitness test yesterday morning. Scheduled for an interview (via Skype) on Wednesday. This is for the 0083 position, band 02. The lady and gentlemen that were there that I spoke with made it sound like, as was discussed on here, there are MANY openings that they are looking to fill. I believe one of the gentlemen said it was an "indefinite" number right now but "way more" than the 30ish applicants they had do the physical fitness test this weekend. The people that were there were extremely nice and IMHO it seems like a great place to start a career. Have a good one.

Comment

lol....Looks like NGA gets paid decently but I saw them at FLETC...We referred to them as the National Geezer Association because all of them were in their 60's. Great guys though

Comment

As this thread is for NGA considerations, if its possible, could we please remain on topic?

Having said that, I believe NGA had different vacancy announcements. There was an entry level 0083, an experienced 0083 (starting at a higher pay band), and a canine handler announcement, which they are in need of quickly. The canine vacancy called for LE dog experience, but there were others. Best route now to application is to apply to the hiring fairs they are frequently having.

Comment

OK, so I was the OP on the other Thread that was closed down due to folks having a P#$%ing match but, whatever. Lets try and keep this one open guys. I will try again and ask my questions here...... I know the positions were for K-9 handlers with experience and FLETC. Not a Problem have that covered. The clearence thing too. My questions were 1.) does anyone know if the take homes for the K-9 handlers are marked or unmarked but, with light packages? the reason I ask is because I know that most if not all 0083s within DOD agencies do not take their duty weapons home so my other question is 2.) will the K-9 handlers be taking their duty weapons home since they will have take home cars? Lastly 3.) anyone know if the K-9 handlers will be working a post or will they be mobile going to different locations running calls for suspicious packages and scans/searches? Any info much appreciated. Thanks.
            sigpic
            Formerly Username k91376
            " They Took the BAR!! The whole F%$#ING BAR! "

Comment

King, from what I've seen, there isn't much running calls. Its more patrol, site security, foot patrols, entrance control, though existing officers are telling me they are expanding frequently into protection, TAC, and other units. Under the BRAC, they are consolidating facilities to Ft. Meade, where they will share jurisidiction with the MPs. Again, this is information from exisiting officers, but if there is a current NGA officer reading, he or she will be more relevant. On the take home issue, I know from speaking with an LT they are pushing for it, but am unaware as to the status. LT stated they wanted K9 guys quick, but are going to train thier own teams. Solid gig from what I've seen so far, been to Bethesda a number of times. They literally are building from the ground up, and the department has trailers that they operate out of.

Comment

Originally posted by MPD1651 View Post
                King, from what I've seen, there isn't much running calls. Its more patrol, site security, foot patrols, entrance control, though existing officers are telling me they are expanding frequently into protection, TAC, and other units. Under the BRAC, they are consolidating facilities to Ft. Meade, where they will share jurisidiction with the MPs. Again, this is information from exisiting officers, but if there is a current NGA officer reading, he or she will be more relevant. On the take home issue, I know from speaking with an LT they are pushing for it, but am unaware as to the status. LT stated they wanted K9 guys quick, but are going to train thier own teams. Solid gig from what I've seen so far, been to Bethesda a number of times. They literally are building from the ground up, and the department has trailers that they operate out of.
                You mean Ft. Belvoir? They will have jurisdiction on their facility but Ft. Belvoir PMO has retained primary jurisdiction (it was posted on the other thread).

I remember when they were the Defense Mapping Agency police....
                I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Things are changing quick, I know that. From the red tape, and dragging feet I encountered in the city, it seems they've got a solid senior staff, who are looking to avoid some of the problems other departments have faced (off duty incidents, etc). The good thing is, with a structured PT test, that might mean on-duty fit time, or reimbursed gym dues, either way, its a win.

Comment

Hey MPD thanks for the info.
                    sigpic
                    Formerly Username k91376
                    " They Took the BAR!! The whole F%$#ING BAR! "

Comment

NGA? What agency is that?

Comment

Originally posted by k91king3 View Post
                        Hey MPD thanks for the info.
                        Sir, always happy to help. And I forgot to add that currently they are offering 100 percent payment for continuation education, as long as it related to the job. Person I spoke to was getting his MS in cyber security. I expressed disbelief at this, but he confirmed it, saying he had acquired his BA, and was now working on his MS, all agency funded. For those in the military, 100 percent, and VA money.... all I'm saying. lol

The funny thing is my own squadmates laughed at me when I suggested putting in for this. But then they sit around and complain about MPD. lol

Comment

Last post, and Ill and get off thier juevos. Here is the direct link to the careers page, and I just noticed the semi-canine vacancy, which is good for FLETC grads. Good luck to all.

https://erecruit.nga.mil/psp/EXPROD/...L_APPLICANT_HP

Comment

Originally posted by beungood View Post
                            NGA? What agency is that?
                            National Geospactial Agency.. Its apart of DoD...

Comment

Originally posted by MPD1651 View Post
                              Last post, and Ill and get off thier juevos. Here is the direct link to the careers page, and I just noticed the semi-canine vacancy, which is good for FLETC grads. Good luck to all.

https://erecruit.nga.mil/psp/EXPROD/...L_APPLICANT_HP
                              Lol.. Nothing wrong with applying and being proud of who you are applying too. They much like DIA police generally go through younger guys because of the boredom of the agency. Good way to get your foot in the door and no one will force you to stay (unless you sign a contract).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11642 users online. 518 members and 11124 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X