300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on expirence?

Got a question for some of you guys in the know. I have applied for several federal jobs and I have been passing the test but I keep getting told that my lack of LE experience is hurting me. I have an Associate’s Degree and 10 years of non LE work experience. A pretty good size PD about 20 miles away from me is hiring reserve officers. Do you guys think it would be worth trying to get one of these positions? No one around me is hiring full time officers. I have talked to the recruiter and he told me they go through state certification for reserves. Anyway just curious if you guys think it would be helpful in the long run. Thanks!

Originally posted by jb5722
    what matters most, is what exactly a reserve does in your state. if a reserve officer is the same as a full time officer with the exception of the hours they work and what they are paid. then it is well worth it. you would have to consider how you will go through the academy and work at the same time though.
    Very good points. And in my state what a reserve does actually differs from dept to dept. Some departments let their reserve act just like full time officers and let them make all the arrests they want. But some other departments mainly use their reserves for traffic control and transporting individuals from the arrest point to the jail. So be sure to do your research. Also, the academies in my state usually do one night class per week then an all day class on Saturday. So if you work nights you might be out of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by soonerfever View Post
      Got a question for some of you guys in the know. I have applied for several federal jobs and I have been passing the test but I keep getting told that my lack of LE experience is hurting me. I have an Associate’s Degree and 10 years of non LE work experience. A pretty good size PD about 20 miles away from me is hiring reserve officers. Do you guys think it would be worth trying to get one of these positions? No one around me is hiring full time officers. I have talked to the recruiter and he told me they go through state certification for reserves. Anyway just curious if you guys think it would be helpful in the long run. Thanks!
      One problem I see is your having an Associate Degree. Most Federal LE positions require a Bachelors as a minimum, unless you have a great amount of experience in a specific skilled area they are targeting to hire. Then we have the problem of being competitive. Most federal positions are competitive in which you have to compete with other applicants. When you compare yourself to the next man, how do you think you look? If there are things you think you can do to distinguish yourself from the next, go for it.
      God Bless America

101st Airborne Division, Rakassans Air Assaultttttttt
      3rd Infantry Division, 2BCT

ICE 1811
      Applied: 6/22/09
      Exam: 7/24/2009
      SI/WA: 3/2/2010
      The Call: October 26, 2010
      PRESIDIO BOUND!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

From what I have been informed the reserve officers are used for usual stuff (parades, special events, etc.) as well as used for patrol. They go through training comparable to full time officers and it is usually on Saturdays. I can swing the training with my other job, but I don't want to take the plunge if it really isn't going to help.

As far as my education goes I understand what you guys are saying. I am actually close to getting my bachelors degree but I have had to cut back because of lack of financial aid and other commitments. I know you guys are going to say finish your degree then apply but I'm afraid the 4 year degree is going to be the same way. I don't know jack about fed jobs but what I do know it seems like experience is king. Even with the education the LE experience reigns supreme.

I really appreciate all of your guys help!

Comment

Originally posted by soonerfever View Post
          From what I have been informed the reserve officers are used for usual stuff (parades, special events, etc.) as well as used for patrol. They go through training comparable to full time officers and it is usually on Saturdays. I can swing the training with my other job, but I don't want to take the plunge if it really isn't going to help.

As far as my education goes I understand what you guys are saying. I am actually close to getting my bachelors degree but I have had to cut back because of lack of financial aid and other commitments. I know you guys are going to say finish your degree then apply but I'm afraid the 4 year degree is going to be the same way. I don't know jack about fed jobs but what I do know it seems like experience is king. Even with the education the LE experience reigns supreme.

I really appreciate all of your guys help!
          It depends on the agency and it depends on what job series you are looking at. Some agencies require some experience for certain jobs while others don't. I would say the degree is a big problem for you though. If you're looking at a criminal investigator position (1811 series), it is pretty much required. And for the few agencies (ICE is the only one that I know of) that doesn't require the degree, you wouldn't be very competitive without it. Many applicants have a bachelor's degree along with professional certifications (CPA) or some grad school or a master's degree along with experience. If your 10 years of experience is in a relevant field like accounting, law, IT, engineering, foreign language, etc., you'd be better off focusing on getting that degree finished instead. If your experience is not in a relevant field, you might consider doing both, but you definitely need the degree assuming you want an 1811 series job.

Lots of people think they need LE experience or a CJ degree for a FLEO job. I've found that isn't really true. While some agencies will take note of the LE experience (and it could start you off at a higher pay level), they teach you LE skills in their academies. They're looking for the skills and experiences that they don't teach you. It really only helps when the experience is in-line with the job, like investigative experience for a criminal investigator position.
          Last edited by krunk79; 10-19-2010, 01:17 PM. Reason: Added some info

Comment

I was a reserve deputy before I started working for the feds. Not sure if it helped me get hired or not, but it was a good experience nonetheless.
            What is Perseverance?
            -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
            -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
            -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

no guarantees

I've been applying for CBP, ICE, and countless other fed agencies for over a year now and my four years reserve patrol experience in Los Angeles Co. as well as AA degree, fluency in a second language, really hasn't shot me passed the oral interview phase on any of my applications.

I may as well be a veteran sandwich artist with a doctoral degree in toaster-oven dynamics.
              Timelines:

CBPO
              App: 2/12/09
              Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
              Written: 2/20/09
              NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
              TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

IEA
              App: 5/5/09
              Geo: San Diego
              Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
              NOR: 7/20/09
              Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
              TO: 10/6/09
              Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
              Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

BPA
              Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
              App: 8/17/10
              Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
              TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

Comment

Originally posted by krunk79 View Post
                It depends on the agency and it depends on what job series you are looking at.
                I wouldn't mind a uniformed position at this point and I don't care who its with. I would love an 1811 position but I would defiantly take a uniformed job if offered. I know that 1811's require degree's. I talked to some USPP guys when I took my written test and they told me I would be ok where I'm at but I would need to score high on my test. However this was a uniformed position. My idea was to try and get a fed job and then finish up school (hopefully with their assistance) and then try to move up. I understand it’s not easy and quick. I also understand that there’s a couple of other people out there who want the jobs too.

I really appreciate all of you guys chiming in. I know there are a lot of people out there asking the same old stupid questions so again I appreciate all the info.

Comment

Your reserve time counts prorated for the amount of work you do. If you volunteer 20 hours a week, then it takes 2 years to get a year of experience. Check the web site out: http://www.ok.gov/cleet/ The training is only about 1/2 of the full time training. Depending on the location you get some great experince as a reserve. Larger Agencies don't always mean more experince, the Reserve in a small county will do more actual work than one in a major city, due to the fact they must rely on the unpaid reserve more in the small county due to budget. As Einstein said about his belief in God...."What can it hurt?"
                  Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6618 users online. 357 members and 6261 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X