Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OIG 1811 Computer Forensics Position

Hello everyone,

I've been trying for some time now to obtain an OIG 1811 position, with no luck thus far. I believe a part of the problem is that I'm doing things somewhat in reverse - I'm 32 years old with over 13 years of computer security and forensics experience, but have not held a LE position. Ideally, I'd love to be working in computer forensics, but initially I'd just like to get in the door as an 1811.

I'm in the Baltimore/Washington area, which should offer many options within the commuting area - but applying via USAJobs just seems to get my resume lost in the pile with thousands of others. I realize IG positions can be tough to come by if you don't know someone or aren't lateraling over from another LE agency, but any advice is greatly appreciated .

Did you get computer forensics with a LE agency? How did you get started in that field?
    The unexamined life is not worth living. - Socrates

Comment

deleted post....
      Last edited by MIDeputy; 01-03-2011, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Don't know what certs you have, or how you are listing them on a resume, but the feds all pretty much use three programs in their SCERS shops. Most OIG's have agents who have secondary duties, meaning you carry case and then work a specialized duty such as firearm, scers, tech agent, fitness coordinator, etc.... If you have other knowledge, GREAT, but you will still go to the other classes and be expected to use the law enforcement accepted systems. I know at my current agency we interviewed a guy who selling himself as fully competant and ready to go for computer forensics (despite not having training/certs in the systems we use). He told us there was no need to waste money sending him to training. The attitude or should we say his thought that he was ready to go got him placed in no thanks letter pile.

Many OIG's have SCERS, but few have dedicated shops staffed by 1811's. Many are staffed by 2210's. NASA's shop and DOE's shop are more civilan than1811. I had a case where I dealth with VA-OIG and they have a impressive shop though with a dedicated team of 1811's in DC (they also have 1811's polygraphers, and a full forensic document lab that was as big as Postals and staffed by 1811's). GSA-OIG has regional shops in each office which is a part time duty. They just had a posting for a 1811/SCERS slot for Philadelphia. TIGTA has small regional shops and larger place at HQ.

But keep in mind...these are 1811 slots...criminal investigator. That means you have to have capabilities outside the lab or with a computer. You still have to work that part of the resume. A lot of great folks miss out on 1811 gigs because their resume is not worded just right or they have a hard time writing about their abilities and accomplishments. Take a good hard look at the resume and keep pounding away at the announcements.

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful info..I'm going to keep putting the resume out there till something comes about. Unfortunately, I know OIG 1811 positions aren't easy to come by, but I think the effort will pay off.

Comment

Originally posted by crock921 View Post
            Did you get computer forensics with a LE agency? How did you get started in that field?
            The second sentence in the OP's post makes it pretty clear, "I'm 32 years old with over 13 years of computer security and forensics experience, but have not held a LE position."
            sigpic

Comment

jb,

Thanks - I'm on it as we speak! No question in my mind I have all the technical experience they could want (and then some , just hoping they won't weigh prior LE experience too heavily..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8567 users online. 431 members and 8136 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X