Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop smoke so I found they only list the HQ for that Region on your TJO and after your background/drug test clears the HR dept has you choose from the available cities in that region to actually work at. For Region 9 the HQ is in San Francisco.
    Last edited by NoLimitJay1347; 05-20-2022, 05:28 PM.

Comment

• Really, i have a few friends that were offered San Francisco and almost turned it down. I’m willing to take almost anything except San Francisco, New York, and border town Texas. Anyway thanks for the good information, ill pass it on.

Comment

• Got told I didn’t pass medical today due to elevated blood pressure. Anyone deal with that in the past?
        Last edited by Sheriff33; 05-25-2022, 11:06 AM.

Comment

• Sheriff33
          Sheriff33 commented
          Editing a comment
          They gave me 30 days to submit medical records showing my blood pressure was under control. I contacted the HR rep who told me that if my doctor submits a letter stating I have no issues and don't need treatment I should be fine. So, off to the doctor tomorrow. I was just there a month ago and was 120/80, so hopefully I'm still good.

• edwrestle3
          edwrestle3 commented
          Editing a comment
          @Sherriff33 do you recall if the doctor signed off your paperwork as cleared when you did your medical? Or if they said that you’re cleared? Either way I’m sure you’ll be fine once you show the paperwork that your BP was fine a month ago.

• Sheriff33
          Sheriff33 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah the doctor actually gave me a copy of my medical packet, I think that was a mistake on his part. He specifically wrote on it “no observable medical issues that would impact job performance”. Then a month later I got a letter that said after further review by the FPS medical officer I haven’t been medically cleared because I had elevated blood pressure at time of medical exam. Now I have to see my doctor and have them write a letter saying I don’t have any issues with blood pressure. So we’ll see.

• edwrestle3
          edwrestle3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Well keep us updated, best of luck

• Just got scheduled for a U/A test, hopefully I’m in the clear at this point.

Comment

• Got word that my background packet was sent to the adjudication office. Anyone know how long that process takes?

Comment

• Iceman5586
            Iceman5586 commented
            Editing a comment
            Got the same email last week

• I had my interview over a year ago and just now got an email saying I have completed my interview and to wait to be matched to a location so for some of you that are wondering it might take a year for them to get back to you.

Comment

• Ruby_112
            Ruby_112 commented
            Editing a comment
            Same here, I interviewed almost 9 months ago and I've received that email twice. Just waiting at this point.

• Pop Smoke
            Pop Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m wondering if either of you ever reached out after the interview for a follow up? After my interview i emailed asking for an update at the 10 day mark, and then again at the 3 week mark. Then about 30 days to the day i got the “passed the interview” email and now just waiting for the TJO and start all the medical/background/drug screen.

• Ruby_112
            Ruby_112 commented
            Editing a comment
            pop smoke,
            I did! I reached out several times so far. Just a waiting game now it seems

• Is this agency anyone’s top choice over other agencies like CBP? Just wondering what your reasons are. I want to make the right choice as well.

Comment

• Iceman5586
            Iceman5586 commented
            Editing a comment
            I honestly dropped out of the CBP hiring process because I didn’t want to have to move away from the Northeast area. FPS has been an agency that I’ve wanted to be with for a while now and luckily im almost done my process. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

• Exbpa340
            Exbpa340 commented
            Editing a comment
            Putting personal preferences aside…FPS has some pros (tops out at GS 12) and cons (non covered/no 12d retirement). Overall the pay and retirement of a line FPS Officer will be substantially less than a CBPO or BPA (Or any other GS 12/13 covered LEO with a premium pay). There may be many reasons why one would prefer this position over CBP/BP (location/work) but $$$$ is not one of them.

• calbraz
            calbraz commented
            Editing a comment
            Deleted comment
            Last edited by calbraz; 06-08-2022, 11:58 PM.

• Pop Smoke
            Pop Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            The reason i dropped out of CBP is that it would have caused me to move. The only place that was available in southern california was the TJ border which is about 3.5 hours away. I like FPS because they are basically everywhere.

• Originally posted by calbraz View Post
          Is this agency anyone’s top choice over other agencies like CBP? Just wondering what your reasons are. I want to make the right choice as well.
          I posted this about 4 years ago on an FPS thread…

The FERS covered LEO (6C/12D) retirement has a higher percentage awarded plus one can retire with 20 years of covered time at age 50 or 25 years of covered time at any age. Regular FERS requires that most work until at least 57 and they receive a lower percentage of their high three. Many LEO positions receive premium pay (LEAP, AUO, BPAPRA) that is considered basic pay for retirement (high three). This means an additional 25 percent of pay through your career and in retirement. Add the extra pay toward your high 3 plus a higher percentage makes a huuuuge difference in retirement.

The third leg of federal retirement is social security (first is the pension and the second is TSP -401k). Federal LEOs receive a supplemental based on social security earnings by the number of civil service (FERS) years worked. 20 years of FERS = 50 percent of social security benefit (at age 62) paid at retirement date (example age 50) until age 62. 30 years would equal a 75 percent share. This benefit is paid by the government and not social security. Non LEOs must work 30 years to qualify for the supplemental. The supplemental ends at age 62 and one can then file for social security.

Lets compare a FPS Officer vs a Deportation Officer (DO)

GS 12 step 5 (both Officers] Pay

FPS base - 91,784

DO base - 91,784 plus AUO (25 percent) 22,946 plus FLSA (roughly 7 or 8 percent) 8,500 = 123,230 (Extra Pay requires an average of 18 hours of extra work per pay period).

Both positions could work 45 act (overtime) and earn additional income (not credited toward high 3 for retirement calculations)

Retirement high 3
          FPS - 91,784
          DO - 114,742.50

plus at 20 years of service the DO would qualify for the supplemental and the FPS Officer would not. Plus the DO would have a significantly higher percentage of is high three (at 20 years of service would be 70 percent more/at 25 years it would be 56 percent more).

Retirement numbers
          FPS (high 3 = 91,784)
          20 years - (20 percent] = $18,356
          25 years - (25 percent) = $22,946

DO (high 3 = 114,742.5)
          20 years (34 percent) = $39,012 plus supplemental (based on 2,000 benefit per month at 62) 12,000 = $51,012
          25 years (39 percent) = $44,749 plus supplemental (based on 2,000 benefit per month at 62) 15,000 = $59,749

FERS employees can buy back any active duty military time to bring those numbers up a bit. After 30 years of service non covered positions are also entitled to the supplemental. These numbers don’t include TSP which can add an additional $12,000 - $34,000 (or more) per year in withdrawals throughout retirement. Federal LEOs have access to their TSP accounts at age 50 vs 59.5 for non LEOs.

In this scenario (not counting TSP or any other investments) a DO would get a retirement income of $59,749 @ age 50 in retirement vs an FPS Officer with a retirement income of $22,946 and he would need to work until age 57 for this. These numbers do not include social security that both would be eligible for at age 62.
          “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
          DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

• calbraz
            calbraz commented
            Editing a comment
            Oof, thank you for putting the numbers out there. Yeah, I will go with FPS for now but it’s pretty clear I need to get into a covered position within 3 years so I can retire at 50 with a much bigger retirement. The regular retirement is pretty bad.

I would love to be a DO with those extra monetary benefits. I didn’t meet the cutoff last time so I’m hoping they’ll open up soon.

• I haven't seen to much information posted on here about this only a little bit here and there. So I received a "medical follow-up" request email asking me to submit documentation like a physicians report and/or VA ratings, etc. I submitted pretty much all that evidence with my initial FPS medical exam. Has anyone had to deal with this or in the same boat currently that has been successful with passing medical completely after receiving this type of request? More specifically with anyone that has passed with current VA disabilities? I only have 15 days to submit additional evidence. Thank you in advance for any help guys!

Comment

• calbraz
            calbraz commented
            Editing a comment
            Going to PM you about this.

• 1901Raven
            1901Raven commented
            Editing a comment
            Decided not to continue in the process.
            Best of luck to everyone.
            Last edited by 1901Raven; 06-10-2022, 08:38 PM.

• calbraz
            calbraz commented
            Editing a comment
            Comment Deleted
            Last edited by calbraz; 06-03-2022, 12:29 AM.

• edwrestle3
            edwrestle3 commented
            Editing a comment
            1901Raven I sent you a PM

• Originally posted by edwrestle3 View Post
          I haven't seen to much information posted on here about this only a little bit here and there. So I received a "medical follow-up" request email asking me to submit documentation like a physicians report and/or VA ratings, etc. I submitted pretty much all that evidence with my initial FPS medical exam. Has anyone had to deal with this or in the same boat currently that has been successful with passing medical completely after receiving this type of request? More specifically with anyone that has passed with current VA disabilities? I only have 15 days to submit additional evidence. Thank you in advance for any help guys!
          I got the same email asking for more medical documentation. I don’t have any insight though cause I just recently got it.

Comment

• calbraz
            calbraz commented
            Editing a comment
            Comment Deleted
            Last edited by calbraz; 06-03-2022, 12:28 AM.

• 1901Raven I sent you a PM

Comment

• Has anyone received hard orders for September FLETC dates yet?

Comment

• Grape soda
              Grape soda commented
              Editing a comment
              Is FLETC open ?

• calbraz
              calbraz commented
              Editing a comment
              Received an email this morning from HR saying the September FLETC class is still on track to start.
              Last edited by calbraz; 06-08-2022, 11:55 PM.

• Originally posted by BCG33 View Post
            Has anyone received hard orders for September FLETC dates yet?
            FLETC is not open right now, they are only finishing up the classes that are currently there.

Comment

• Ive completed my medical and drug test on the 27th of April and I have yet to hear anything on my end. Anyone else in the same boat? Im pretty sure this is the final step before firm offer goes out, but i could be wrong.

Comment

• Crowman23
              Crowman23 commented
              Editing a comment
              Did you get call regarding your background investigation? I didn’t get that until post UA.

• Grape soda
              Grape soda commented
              Editing a comment
              ——————————-
              Last edited by Grape soda; 06-15-2022, 11:33 PM.

• No, didnt get a call regarding background.assuming thats a good thing.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3289 users online. 162 members and 3127 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X