Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please assist - bacground info/packet issues

Hey everyone,
    I am doing a background packet for a PD ..now my problem is, I honestly don't remember all the info they are requesting

Please don't judge- i really need help ,
    Tickets :
    to be honest 5 + years ago..any time I got a ticket...I'd do as instructed (i.e go to court) and it was either dismissed or I paid the fine.. and i would dismiss it from my mind...I do not recall any ticket/reason/location/date - and they are asking for all of this....

Employment:
    When I was younger, in my immaturity, If i didn't like a job... i'd leave..(no 2 weeks notice) it may have been a week..or a month.. i was also in temp agencies of which i have NO recollection of their names or any info
    They want every job i ever had..with numbers and dates AND periods of unemployment - and i have NO recollection past 6 years as the last few jobs i had were long term and steady

Residence:
    I wasn't fortunate enough to have the stability of living with both parents in one home for many years... I lived an quite a few places, both on paper or just staying with someone for a few months without making it my legal address... and I don't recall dates or exact addresses of the places i have lived

Auto accidents:
    I have been in quite a few accidents where NONE were my fault (and thus documented) but i dont recall dates or any other specifics

Civil:
    I have been in car accidents where I was not at fault and sued - i do not recall dates or other info
    I have also sued a landlord for withholding my security without reason (and won) I do not recall dates

I dont want to seem like I am being dishonest or withholding any info I just truly dont remember all of this-
    Is there a way i can find all of this out for myself so I can fill this out accurately
    Last thing I want is to be dismissed because they feel I am omitting anything or unstable or something

I'm going to venture out on a limb and attempt to give you some direction before those involved in the hiring process start to answer your questions. I would recommend calling your Background Investigator and informing him of the dilemma you've got on your hands. I can tell you from personal experience that trying to recall things can be a pain. I had to do quite a bit of research with regard to contacting previous employers for dates worked, etc. I documented all of this information so it allowed for easy transcribing to new applications and background packets.

Tickets:
    If they're asking for your entire driving history, tickets, etc, list them. If you don't remember dates/reasons/etc, figure it out. Give them at least a ball park to work with. Omitting information that a BI will find is bad. It will come across as though you're lying.

Employment:
    Not having a solid work history can pose a problem. You'll need to gather as much information as you can about all the jobs you've worked. If you're not sure when you worked there, call and ask them. Showing a stable work history over the last 6 years will certainly be beneficial.

Residence:
    Again, document what you know. If you're unsure, call people to get an idea.

Auto Accidents:
    Same regard as tickets, gather as much information as you can. Call your insurance company to get dates/etc about accidents. The more information you provide to your BI the better things will go for you. They will obviously do their research but having all your ducks in a row will help them and in turn may help you. With regard to whose fault they were, it's somewhat irrelevant. Just document what happened and let the BI read it for what it's worth.

Civil:
    Again, you may need to contact the courts that you sued in to obtain information, etc.

I'll preface the rest of the responses; People will judge you, that comes with the job and it's territory. If you can't take the criticism, a new line of work may be best suited for you. In this line of work people will call you names, spit on you, punch you, kick you, try to stab you, and try to kill you. If any of that bothers you, find a new line. Those that provide you answers here have years and years experience, some more experience than you've been alive. If you're expecting answers you want to hear, you won't. You'll hear the truth like it is spoken out on the street.

Do your research. It takes time to fill out a background packet accurately. If you don't get the job you're applying for now, continue researching until you can find everything that you'll need. Once you have it, document, document, document. It will save you a ton of time later. I saw your profile says you do IT work, I do the same. I would expect that you're computer savvy and can find a lot of the information, or at least who to contact, online. Good luck to you.
    Brad

Comment

Originally posted by dtany View Post
      Hey everyone,
      I am doing a background packet for a PD ..now my problem is, I honestly don't remember all the info they are requesting

Please don't judge- i really need help ,
      Tickets :
      to be honest 5 + years ago..any time I got a ticket...I'd do as instructed (i.e go to court) and it was either dismissed or I paid the fine.. and i would dismiss it from my mind...I do not recall any ticket/reason/location/date - and they are asking for all of this....

Employment:
      When I was younger, in my immaturity, If i didn't like a job... i'd leave..(no 2 weeks notice) it may have been a week..or a month.. i was also in temp agencies of which i have NO recollection of their names or any info
      They want every job i ever had..with numbers and dates AND periods of unemployment - and i have NO recollection past 6 years as the last few jobs i had were long term and steady

Residence:
      I wasn't fortunate enough to have the stability of living with both parents in one home for many years... I lived an quite a few places, both on paper or just staying with someone for a few months without making it my legal address... and I don't recall dates or exact addresses of the places i have lived

Auto accidents:
      I have been in quite a few accidents where NONE were my fault (and thus documented) but i dont recall dates or any other specifics

Civil:
      I have been in car accidents where I was not at fault and sued - i do not recall dates or other info
      I have also sued a landlord for withholding my security without reason (and won) I do not recall dates

I dont want to seem like I am being dishonest or withholding any info I just truly dont remember all of this-
      Is there a way i can find all of this out for myself so I can fill this out accurately
      Last thing I want is to be dismissed because they feel I am omitting anything or unstable or something
      If you earned a W-2, the Social Security Administration has an earnings report that you can order for the past 10 years. It will list every employer with name and addresses. If you worked under the table, it will NOT be listed.

If you have tickets, try to see which court/parking authority will have the info. They should.

Residence, you should be able to recall where you lived. You went home every day. I didn't have the luxury of living with my parents, but I recalled where I lived and drove to each place, asking my former landlords for their recent contact info, and specific dates of my tenancy.

Even if you can't recall, you need to do the legwork to show that you made an attempt to gather the information. Nothing will infuriate a BI if they have to do the legwork that the applicant should have done on their own.
      Last edited by avalon42; 09-18-2010, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chaps0063 View Post
        I'll preface the rest of the responses; People will judge you...
        Thanks for the reply
        What I meant by that 'please don't judge' is more that I have seen threads on here - and other forums, which may request one thing and go wayyyyy off topic because someone wants to chime in and cast a judgment - i meant more for the sake of trying to find out all the info
        But thanks

Comment

Originally posted by avalon42 View Post
          If you earned a W-2, the Social Security Administration has an earnings report that you can order for the past 10 years. It will list every employer with name and addresses. If you worked under the table, it will NOT be listed.

Hey thanks for the input...one thing, I was able to find out that the SSA can get you every job you ever had BUT .....BUTTTTTTTTT It takes up to 4 months...I have about a week and a half to do this... *sigh*
          But at least, when all is said and done, if I do not get this job for whatever reason, I'll have ALL this lovely info with me for my next background packet

Comment

Im reading this thread wondering why are everyone being so nice and not just saying what they are thinking. DUDE IM JUST GOING TO PUT IT OUT THERE. FROM MY POINT OF VIEW, YOU HAVE TOO MANY ISSUES STARTING OUT TO EVEN ATTEMPT TO APPLY FOR A JOB IN LAW ENFORCEMENT. Your entire post to me sounds like someone who is immature and really not ready for this type of career. You stated you been in many accidents, I wonder how many other people can say that? You state you have numerous tickets, I wonder how many other people can say that? In my opinion, I just dont think as of now, this is the field for you. For one, how can you be sued from a car accident if the police report deemed the other person at fault? Doesnt make much sense to me. Well, I think I have expressed my opinion enough. If I sound rude or just ignorant, I dont mean to be and im truely sorry, im just giving it to you 100, it is what it is.
            God Bless America

101st Airborne Division, Rakassans Air Assaultttttttt
            3rd Infantry Division, 2BCT

ICE 1811
            Applied: 6/22/09
            Exam: 7/24/2009
            SI/WA: 3/2/2010
            The Call: October 26, 2010
            PRESIDIO BOUND!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I wasn't sued... I SUED the other parties... and living in NYC it's possible to have had more than 1 accident...one guy ran a red light and hit me with my kid in the car... another guy rear ended me...so I don't think the term of me being - immature- fits ................
              And most of the issues I have were for over 6 years ago some ..over 10 years ago

also... i have gotten tickets for unknowingly having a light out... for my front license plate being missing (someone either stole it or it fell off) ...and those do count as tickets ...and I would hardly say im a rebel in the making... again when you live in a city there are greater number of chances for things to occur, I have been to places where there are NO lights at night, so you can see right away if you have a headlight out... in a city that is well lit, your headlights are somewhat drowned out and you can't really tell
              I am not posting this to defend myself to you, I just want you to see the side that ignorance can hide
              Last edited by dtany; 09-18-2010, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dtany View Post
                I wasn't sued... I SUED the other parties... and living in NYC it's possible to have had more than 1 accident...one guy ran a red light and hit me with my kid in the car... another guy rear ended me...so I don't think the term of me being - immature- fits ................
                And most of the issues I have were for over 6 years ago some ..over 10 years ago

also... i have gotten tickets for unknowingly having a light out... for my front license plate being missing (someone either stole it or it fell off) ...and those do count as tickets ...and I would hardly say im a rebel in the making... again when you live in a city there are greater number of chances for things to occur, I have been to places where there are NO lights at night, so you can see right away if you have a headlight out... in a city that is well lit, your headlights are somewhat drowned out and you can't really tell
                I am not posting this to defend myself to you, I just want you to see the side that ignorance can hide
                I see what you saying, but at the same time, this career requires a memory. If you cant recall tickets you received (atleast a rough estimate), this is an issue. Its common sense that there is a dmv in your city, which can furnish you with a driving report. Also you should know if you got any tickets while out of town, and that dmv can also give you the information. The entire post came off as a little disturbing to me. I understand most people have trouble when filling out the background information, but its like you dont have a clue as to nothing in your background, which is a huge problem. I dont know your age, but by the time a person is 25, they should have had a stabled household by then, and if not, there is no need to even apply because you surely will not be hired. The older a person get, the more a person has to remember on the background packet, but at the same time, the older a person gets, its also easier for that person due to being more stable in their life. I just dont see right now you being picked up by a LEO agency with no rememberance of your past. Either way, good luck man, you have an uphill battle to climb, but it can be done with determination
                God Bless America

101st Airborne Division, Rakassans Air Assaultttttttt
                3rd Infantry Division, 2BCT

ICE 1811
                Applied: 6/22/09
                Exam: 7/24/2009
                SI/WA: 3/2/2010
                The Call: October 26, 2010
                PRESIDIO BOUND!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'll admit...i had a rough past...
                  I know the job is about memory, but I chose to deem these things unimportant long before I decided to try to be a LEO
                  I may have a rough hill to climb, but I wouldn't make a good officer (or one at all) if I gave up before even trying...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10057 users online. 422 members and 9635 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X