300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1811 notifications

SO what would you say id the best way to search for 1811 jobs or find out about new 1811 openings? I tried searching 1811 on usajobs, but it did not seem to catch everything. Also, is there a way to set up a notification so they will email you when new positions come about? I am looking to join the ranks of 1811, and want to make sure I am not missing an opening.

Thanks!
    The unexamined life is not worth living. - Socrates

Originally posted by crock921 View Post
    SO what would you say id the best way to search for 1811 jobs or find out about new 1811 openings? I tried searching 1811 on usajobs, but it did not seem to catch everything. Also, is there a way to set up a notification so they will email you when new positions come about? I am looking to join the ranks of 1811, and want to make sure I am not missing an opening.

Thanks!
    Please don't anyone respond. It will just be one more person to compete with Do some research and you will figure it out.
    You do want to e an investigator right? Start now. What does 1811 mean to you?

Comment

There are only 22 open announcements for 1811 right now, 63 if you can apply for status positions.

You need to decide who you want to work for instead of just applying for the position. An OIG 1811, an ICE 1811, and a NASA 1811 aren't doing the same job...

Once you do that you can either set up USAJOBS to email you positions for a certain agency or a daily list of all positions (they'll only send the first 10).

Comment

In addition, I see an issue with your approach. You are looking for 1811 positions, not positions that will allow you to accomplish your goals or cater to your interests.

Like madchicken said, "you need to decide who you want to work for instead of just applying for the position." You need to find out what appeals to you and what agency investigates that area. There are a lot of 1811 jobs out there that, but most are directional towards a particular purpose, i.e. ATF, DEA, ICE, USMS. Most agencies also have OIG Special Agent positions, but are very different then the big, well known agencies (ATF, DEA, ICE, FBI).

Think about what you want, then work from there. You should be able to narrow it down to 2 or 3 agencies at the most.

Comment

I would set up a USAJOBS alert for the 1811 positions open in area(s) you are willing to work and then narrow down the agencies that you may be interested in from the open announcements. If you just listed agencies like ICE and ATF, would you know if agencies such as EPA-CID (a great gig from what I've been told) is hiring?

BTW, as a technical matter, departments (Labor, Homeland Security, Justice, HHS, etc.) and not agencies have OIGs.
          They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

I am not trying to limit myself to a specific agency or department at this time because I want to see everything that is available and research each individual posting. If I limit myself to what I think I may want to do, I may miss out on a position I did not know about, and therefore miss out on a great opportunity. This just happened to me with the FAM spot. I know it is not an 1811, but I was not aware they were hiring until I saw an ad on this site. I am just trying to use the biggest net right now, then sort it down to what I want to do and where I want to do it. Thanks for the quick replies.

Comment

Originally posted by crock921 View Post
              I am not trying to limit myself to a specific agency or department at this time because I want to see everything that is available and research each individual posting. If I limit myself to what I think I may want to do, I may miss out on a position I did not know about, and therefore miss out on a great opportunity.
              Exactly

This just happened to me with the FAM spot. I know it is not an 1811, but I was not aware they were hiring until I saw an ad on this site. I am just trying to use the biggest net right now, then sort it down to what I want to do and where I want to do it. Thanks for the quick replies.
              I agree with this as well. I said that for you should set an alert for 1811 positions because I thought that was all you were interested in.

Set up auto alerts and check USAJOBS regularly for best results.
              They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

Let's also remember not every agency uses USAJobs for 1811 hiring. USMS (which starts out as a 082 with a career progression to 1811), AFOSI, and I believe ICE, didn't use USAJobs for their most recent hiring initiatives.

You probably want to make checking in on boards like this part of your job search routine.

Comment

Just a FYI to the OP.... FAM is an 1801 series job....not an 1811......

As stated, I think DEA, NCIS, AFOSI, ICE, and a few others use their own web site/proceedures for hiring..... Just need to go to the agencies you are interested in and look at their web sites.....and go from there. Most have POC's on employment....

Comment

Thanks. I am not above applying for 1801 openings, I was just hoping to come is as an 1811 if possible. I will set up those alerts. I also have apps in on a local LEO opening so I am lurking on a daily basis anyway.

Comment

I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't stay up to date on openings. What I meant was, law enforcement positions vary greatly in their workload and lifestyle and it is important to know what the job is like before you spend a great deal of time monitoring the hiring news, applying, and going through the hiring process. For instance, if you want to serve search warrants and kick down doors then positions like NASA-OIG, FAMS, USPIS, etc, are probably not going to make you happy. Also, if you refuse to live in a ^%$ hole town on the southwest border then agencies like USBP and, to an increasing degree, ICE are probably not for you. If you don't want to travel a lot, then agencies like USSS-SA and DSS are probably not for you either. Just because it is an 1811 doesn't mean it's going to make you happy.

I think that if you determine what you want and what you can cope with you'll be able to narrow your targets down to a few agencies. This will make monitoring their hiring openings much easier.

With that all said, I found one of the best ways to keep up to date is by monitoring this forum. Generally, guys already in the pipe will clue you in ahead of time as to when hiring will opening up.

Comment

How does one create an alert/notification e-mail on USAJobs. I searched USAJobs and wasn't able to find anything besides notifications for change in status of jobs you applied for through their website.

Comment

Originally posted by Future Fed View Post
                          How does one create an alert/notification e-mail on USAJobs. I searched USAJobs and wasn't able to find anything besides notifications for change in status of jobs you applied for through their website.
                          you need to set up an account, and somewhere in the process you can have usajobs send you e-mails with new announcements that are associated with whatever keywords you chose.

Comment

If you're wanting to work for an 1811 job that hits doors and does a good amount of street-level enforcement disregard, but for OIG vacancies, a lot are posted on IGNet.gov that are never posted on USAJobs.gov.
                            sigpic

Comment

I have already done some preliminary screening. I didn't apply for border patrol stuff because I am not looking to chase immigrants around the border. i am also not really looking for SWAT-style stuff. More investigative stuff is what I'm looking for. I will check out IGN. Thx for the tip. FAM intrigues me because of the travel and low-profile work.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7288 users online. 212 members and 7076 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X