300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1811 job grade offers

To all those current 1811's, I have a question about grade selection. My situation is as follows: I have made the BQ list for an 1811 (OIG) gig that I am eligible for both GS-9/11, I have the interview next week. My question is, if I get picked up for this gig will the G automatically give me an offer for the lowest grade, or is it visa versa and give me 11 since I qualed for it? Or is it up to hiring SAC/ASAC on what grade I will be given?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Originally posted by Rsquared View Post
    To all those current 1811's, I have a question about grade selection. My situation is as follows: I have made the BQ list for an 1811 (OIG) gig that I am eligible for both GS-9/11, I have the interview next week. My question is, if I get picked up for this gig will the G automatically give me an offer for the lowest grade, or is it visa versa and give me 11 since I qualed for it? Or is it up to hiring SAC/ASAC on what grade I will be given?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
    Hiring by small OIG's tends to be more regionally-based, so it's tough to say if the SAC has that authority (the SAC of a larger 1811 agency would not, as hiring is done centrally out of the agency's HQ). However, if you qualify for an 11 and they offer 11 as a hiring grade, you should get it. Just remember, the basis for whether you qualify is if the agency deems you qualify, not if you alone think you do (you may well be right in what you believe, as personnel clerks who screen applications do get things wrong from time to time). Agencies budget new hires at their journeyman level (so that they don't have to update their budget for personnel salaries all the time), so it shouldn't be an issue with them offering a lower grade due to budget constraints.

Long story short, if the agency qualifies you for GS-11 they should offer you that. I was hired as a GS-9 and would have qualified for GS-7 or any other lower tier grade, but was qualified as a 9 and that's what I was offered.
    sigpic

Comment

Good info!

Originally posted by Kimble View Post
      Hiring by small OIG's tends to be more regionally-based, so it's tough to say if the SAC has that authority (the SAC of a larger 1811 agency would not, as hiring is done centrally out of the agency's HQ). However, if you qualify for an 11 and they offer 11 as a hiring grade, you should get it. Just remember, the basis for whether you qualify is if the agency deems you qualify, not if you alone think you do (you may well be right in what you believe, as personnel clerks who screen applications do get things wrong from time to time). Agencies budget new hires at their journeyman level (so that they don't have to update their budget for personnel salaries all the time), so it shouldn't be an issue with them offering a lower grade due to budget constraints.

Long story short, if the agency qualifies you for GS-11 they should offer you that. I was hired as a GS-9 and would have qualified for GS-7 or any other lower tier grade, but was qualified as a 9 and that's what I was offered.
      Thanks for the reply! Yea, I am qualified at the 11 level. Now that I think about it, the hiring is done out of a centeralized office.

Thanks again

Comment

What Kimble said... now THAT being said, bro take whatever they offer. The grades are pretty much automatic unless you have a promotional/merit 13 grade level like the DEA does.

If they offer the 9... snap it up. It's only a year and a 9-11 isn't that much pay difference to worry about in the least. In 3 years you'll be a 12 or 13 and it won't matter. On the other hand if they offer you a 9 and you somewhat feel put out and buck it.... then well... bosses remember that sort of thing. I know they're maybe not supposed to but they'll remember it. You don't really want to start out being that "difficult" guy who quotes regs to point out how wrong the sup is.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10029 users online. 343 members and 9686 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X