Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question from a union construction worker trying to go into Law Enforcement.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question from a union construction worker trying to go into Law Enforcement.

Hello guys, Ive been lurking in this forum for a while reading up on info and getting myself ready physically and making plans on what classes I will take to get a good degree to aid me in my way of becoming a LEO. I have never had any trouble with the law or anyone.
    I have been a heavy equipment operator for 5 years now and have worked in many, many construction in my companies, too many in my opinion. The problem is that here in Chi-town construction is only seasonal and getting laid-off is a normal occurrence, and now even more that the economy is horrible. I have never been late, fired or even yelled at in any of my jobs and get call backs all the time but since I am still an apprentice I cant always go to the same company(a bunch of union rules, P.I.T.A.!!!!). In my 6 years in the work force Ive gone through 23 employers and I am only 25! But fully determined in my dream and goal to in Law enforcement.

OK well now here is Question.... how badly do you guys think this will affect me in an interview or in my application. If they were to see all these employers on my application would they think I can't keep a job worth a damn. what would be you guy's advice or opinion???

Thank all you guys before hand I really appreciate your feedback.
    Last edited by mauser98k; 09-08-2010, 01:58 PM.

I think it would be more of a pain for you than anything else. On the last background check i did, I had to list every employer I EVER HAD, including name/number/address of a coworker. They understand union politics, so if you really don't have anything in your file, its a non-issue.
    The unexamined life is not worth living. - Socrates

Comment

it sure is a pain man, it took me like 3 and a half hours to put everything down....stayed up till midnight doing everything. Thanks for the reply crock921

Comment

I got a buddy who is a union welder so I know a little.

It won't be a problem since your technical employer....is the union. Yes you will have to list each company/site that you worked at...but any BI will know that the whole time...you were only working for 1 union.

Comment

thats a huge relief.... I thought they weren't going to even consider me and thought they would see me as a looser for not being able to keep a job in their eyes.
          Last edited by mauser98k; 09-09-2010, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Mauser,
            I was in the same boat as you with the laborers union. I would get sent out by the union to different sites with different companies. I discussed it with my BI for the Fed Bureau of Prisons. He said to list the union that they are the ones that keep track of diciplinary actions, jobs sent to, and so fourth. He said my employer was the union not the contractors I was sent to. I'm sure some BI's probably do things different but on the app lisitng just the union and time frame should be enough then you can further clarify during the BI process.

Comment

you will be fine bro. they understand how unions work. thats what unions are for. to make sure your working. like it was prior. its gonna be a bigger pain for u having to list them all. just a few questions for you. do you have a degree? do you know what type of le work you want to do, for example: federal, state, local, 1811? have you started to apply anywhere? are you willing to relocate?

Comment

Well since I just started applying I only have one out. My problem is that many PDs want some college, and I do have some college credit but its in construction and doesn't have anything to do with LE. My current plans are to change that by going to school and even after if I was to get hired somewhere to keep on going. I pretty much want to do something I always wanted to do. I cant see myself running a Crane or a Paver the rest of my life but I can see myself doing something I know I will love... Even if it does pay more. I Want to go all the way and take it as far as I can, but for now local will do. I just need to get my feet wet first and then take it federal. My current application is at Park Forest IL, which the orientation is today and the physical ability is tomorrow morning so with luck I get hired.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5839 users online. 198 members and 5641 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X