300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lateral Transfers Agency Wide

Did a search on this and couldnt find out a lot of information on it...

Which agencies ALLOW lateral transfers for 1811's and which ones DONT?

How often are they offered?

Are they posted only on usajobs? Do you have to contact a recruiter?

Is the whole process faster than applying to a public posting?

I am curious and I am sure some others are. Thank you!
    CBPO
    Exam: Retook exam: 11/2010
    TO: 2/2011
    Medical: 3/22/2011
    PT Test: 3/22/2011
    VBT: 3/2011
    Background: 3/2011
    Drug Test: 4/2011
    Referred to TSU: 5/2011
    PT Test 2: TBD
    FLETC: Good Question lol
    CBP Officer:

USMS- Region 8
    Info Session 9/2009
    Interview 3/2010
    COE 5/2010
    Medical 5/2010
    Fit/Background 7/2010
    All clear as of 11/2010
    FCIP Over, all applicants scrapped. (GAME OVER) 3/2011 :'(

Originally posted by BiggyWannaBGman View Post
    Did a search on this and couldnt find out a lot of information on it...

What do you mean who allows and who doesn't? You mean who doesn't make you go the academy again and who does?

Vaires by agency. Usually only when they are hiring (backfill or new FTE's)

USA Jobs...follow directions to apply.

Not usually and it was not for me. Same thing except I did not need to wait for a security clearance as I had one.

Comment

Oh i mean which agencies offer them. I think you could transfer from ATF 1811 to be an ICE 1811 but not an FBI 1811 right?
      CBPO
      Exam: Retook exam: 11/2010
      TO: 2/2011
      Medical: 3/22/2011
      PT Test: 3/22/2011
      VBT: 3/2011
      Background: 3/2011
      Drug Test: 4/2011
      Referred to TSU: 5/2011
      PT Test 2: TBD
      FLETC: Good Question lol
      CBP Officer:

USMS- Region 8
      Info Session 9/2009
      Interview 3/2010
      COE 5/2010
      Medical 5/2010
      Fit/Background 7/2010
      All clear as of 11/2010
      FCIP Over, all applicants scrapped. (GAME OVER) 3/2011 :'(

Comment

Oh i mean which agencies offer them. I think you could transfer from ATF 1811 to be an ICE 1811 but not an FBI 1811 right?
        There is no such thing as a lateral transfer in the government. You apply to positions which are open to fed employees and have to compete.
        I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
          There is no such thing as a lateral transfer in the government. You apply to positions which are open to fed employees and have to compete.
          I disagree. Well if you retain step/grade/pay/series and you move from one position in the competitive service in the fed to another one, that does seem very much like a transfer to me. Also if you keep your sick/annual leave and retirement.

On the local level, some agencies allow officers who are already certified, to apply for positions. They have to compete for these positions against other candidates. Those officers would lose seniority, and any accumulated vacation/sick time. They also would have to go through FTO at that agency (similar to agency specific training with the feds). They call this a lateral transfer. I honestly don't see how that is any different.
          What is Perseverance?
          -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
          -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
          -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

I agree with the notion that some agencies have policies that resemble transfer more than others, such as going from ATF to ICE or to IRS CI at or below GS-12. You can keep your grade and need only go to the add ons.
            The common denominator being CITP at FLETC.
            GS-13, now that is a fish in a different pond. Most originations won't do it no way.
            Any alphabet soup agency going to an OIG and you can apply and go in at any grade, even heard as high as GS-14.
            FBI/DEA don't like it.
            Since their add on and basic are combined into the basic course all agents experienced and college grad go through the farm. The FBI starts one and all at GS-10 with no leap. Experience may get you step 10, but no more.
            DEA may give you GS-9, step 10, but I have heard the story both ways from agents who have made the switch.
            "From now until the end of the world, we and it shall be remembered. We few, we Band of Brothers. For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare ("King Henry V")

Comment

I am curious and I am sure some others are. Thank you!
              To be honest, these are too difficult to answer properly. Some agencies OCCASIONALLY have "lateral" annoucements where if you're a 1811 elsewhere with CITP (or equivalent from FBI, DEA or USPIS) training you can apply for positions only available to those already in 1811 jobs. Many times these jobs require competitive service status, so if you work for an agency with excepted service status (ex: FBI, DOD agencies, USPS agencies, and some others), you don't qualify, regardless of whether you're a 1811 (the exception being if you have veterans status). Also, some agencies with excepted service status can offer GS-13 positions to those who are already an 1811 elsewhere, but the hiring process is still the same for them as any other applicant.

Are you starting to see how this is about as clear as mud? In truth, there is no real across-the-board 1811 lateral process from agency to agency. It would be nice, but not the way it works. If you're a 1811 and want to look at opportunities with another agency, the best thing to do is call them up and ask to speak to a recruiter (or if you're working a case with them, speak to the agent you're working with).
              sigpic

Comment

I think ICE is taking fed employees apps for 1811, I found it through indeed.com
                Ivan, did you see the sun rise this morningsigpic?

Comment

Originally posted by jgorto View Post
                  I think ICE is taking fed employees apps for 1811, I found it through indeed.com
                  This is a perfect example of what I was referring to in my post above. ICE (in their most recent "lateral" annoucement, if it's still posted) requires that an 1811 that applies for the annoucement have either 1) Competitive Service status (which you get from being an employee with a federal agency under OPM Competitive Service standing, which includes most 1811 agencies I know of) or 2) have veterans status.

So, for example, if an FBI agent (who does not have Competitive Service status since FBI is an Excepted Service agency) had never worked for a Competitive Service agency and was not a veteran, they would be inelligible for the ICE "lateral" annoucement. A good number of 1811's would qualify since so many 1811 agencies are Competitive Status agencies, but not all are (to include FBI, DoD agencies, USPS agencies, and some others under Excepted Service).

Clear as mud?
                  sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11864 users online. 478 members and 11386 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X