300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help!!

Hello, everyone... I am in need of some advice..
    I am a college student and I graduate Next month with an Associates. I took the cook county corrections written exam and now i am awaiting the next steps. I am a little nervous though due to the fact that I dont know what will be said about my background. Now I do not have any arrests or anything like that but i have made a few mistakes.

Now I have been on unemployment for almost the past 2 years and going from almost 40 grand a year to 22 grand is a huge difference so I will start out there.

To get to the point, I have sold perscription drugs in the past.. ( I know not the greatest choice..) When i first was approached about it I was told that they were for a cancer patient and i wasnt using them so i thought, hey my mother had cancer and i know it can be painful so i said ok... Dumb choice... But I am a single mother and I needed the money and I thought it was helping out a cancer patient so i didnt think much of it after that. Now I havent did any of that in a year or so... I found out that I was lied to an they werent going to a cancer patient so i stopped.

Now I know it wasnt the greatest choice but I did not see the severity in it until I really started getting into school and the classes and realized as well I was not only lied to but it wasnt the route for me to go. i would like to lock up criminals not be one. So i guess my question is, should I not continue on with the rest of the tests for cook county because of the bad choice that I made and wait ? and also my question is because of the poor decision that I have made will it hinder me in ever getting a job in law enforcement ?

I mean my heart is in this job and not only thins job but one day maybe even a detective, i cant see myself doing anything else because I am driven to help people and solve murders, and crimes and catch criminals but I am afraid that I might have runied my dream because of a bad decision.. Please cna someone give me some advice, I know some of the advice may not be what I want to hear but I respect anyones input and criticism.
    Yes, the past can hurt but the way I see it you can either run from it or learn from it.

Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgmentMistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

I think you can pretty much hang up any dream of having a law enforcement job. You may still swing a corrections job, but that is probably a stretch too. If you've committed a crime like selling scripts then how could you possibly ever be trusted in a position with as much authority as law enforcement? I'm not trying to be harsh, but you're going to come across drugs during your work and with a history of selling drugs, why would a department trust you to properly seize the drugs and maintain a chain of custody.

I would say that the only thing that might help your cause out would be holding down a job for at least five years and putting some time between you and your criminal past.

Comment

I agree with the above. Not to be too harsh but selling narcotics is a felony regardless of the original intent. This incident only stopping 1 year ago may get you booted from the process that you are currently in.

Comment

I agree with both that have posted before me. You can continue in the process and see what they say, whether to try again in a few years or not at all. At least you will know the process if they tell you to come back.
        What Is A Veteran?
        A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

I'm going to be harsh, sorry but your not getting the job. Also Cook County has had thousands of people apply for those 500 CO openings and they aren't going to take someone that sold drugs when they have tons of people that have no criminal issues.

Comment

No chance. You clearly had no intent to be a leo when you started selling drugs. Now you've taken a few cj lasses and you think youre reformed. Drop out of the process.
            Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil; may God rebuke him, we humbly pray and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.

Comment

I Agree all around, this is not going to happen for you. Pretty much 100% of all departments have an auto disqualifyer for having sold narcotics

Comment

I must agree with the others. Regardless of how much time has passed between what you've done and when you apply it still leaves a mark on you as a person, especially when you interview for these positions. Majority of agencies submit applicants for a poly and that will come up, and may disqualify you from ever applying again. Give it a shot if you want to, but like others have stated, there are many more applicants without problems in their past or record so it will be tough to get a position. Just my two cents.
                Last edited by genolrd; 09-03-2010, 05:07 AM. Reason: spelling
                *****CBP Officer*****
                Hot South Texas

Comment

I'd check the Illinois Forum. There's 2 Cook County Sheriff threads going on there. Maybe look through them or PM one of the County guys on there.

Comment

this is directly from the cook county sheriff's office website:

Please be advised applicants will be disqualified from consideration for employment as Cook County Correctional Officer if it is determined that the applicant has:
                    • Committed the deliberate omission, concealment or falsification of relevant facts from any personnel security questionnaire, personal history statement, or similar form used to conduct investigations, determine employment qualifications, etc.
                    • Been charged with and/or committed a felony
                    • Committed employment-related crimes
                    • Purchased or sold illegal drugs
                    • Used illegal drugs within a specific period of time
                    • Acquired extensive debt or evidence of extreme financial negligence

Comment

Thank you all for all your help with this matter... I am still considering in taking the poly because no matter what i do or say i know ur past will always catch up with you and I have to face the facts. i did what I did and there is nothing I can do to change it.. i am not trying to bash any of your comments because i appreciate them all and they have been very helpful.. But sometimes good people make some really bad decisions, it does not mean that I would not like to have the job or do something else in law enforcement because of a mistake that I have made.. i mean like i said I am a single mother and I had to put food on my table, it does not make it right nor justify what I did but I have a child to feed and bills to pay... But again thank u ... But to be honest with you I know Cook County officers that were convicted of selling Marijuana and they are officers today.. So I dont know....
                      Yes, the past can hurt but the way I see it you can either run from it or learn from it.

Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgmentMistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie's girl View Post
                        Thank you all for all your help with this matter... I am still considering in taking the poly because no matter what i do or say i know ur past will always catch up with you and I have to face the facts. i did what I did and there is nothing I can do to change it.. i am not trying to bash any of your comments because i appreciate them all and they have been very helpful.. But sometimes good people make some really bad decisions, it does not mean that I would not like to have the job or do something else in law enforcement because of a mistake that I have made.. i mean like i said I am a single mother and I had to put food on my table, it does not make it right nor justify what I did but I have a child to feed and bills to pay... But again thank u ... But to be honest with you I know Cook County officers that were convicted of selling Marijuana and they are officers today.. So I dont know....
                        Sometimes depending on the state the difference comes down to the schedule of the drug sold/purchased.

Comment

That may be true, however you are not even eligible to apply since you have sold drugs. Your best bet is to contact a recruiter/hiring branch and ask them straight out so you don't waste your time or the time of the hiring branch

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12123 users online. 496 members and 11627 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X