300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fed Job Relocation

I was curious what the facts are regarding the various Federal 1811 positions and relocation. Almost all of the agencies disclose that you must be willing to work where they want when they want and be ready to relocate at any given time.

I know that's what they say, but in actuality, what really happens? Do the various agencies try to work with you as much as possible regarding location preference? Do they have consideration if you have a family and kids? Or do they really move you around the country and world like a chess piece?

All depends on the agency. The big ones (FBI, DSS, ATF, DEA, etc) are going to move you around. My buddy who went to FBI in 2007 picked his top choices and they gave him a location that was within 100 miles of one his choices (close enough I guess . They also didn't tell him until he was already in the academy so house hunting was left to the spouse. I've heard that USSS is trying to keep people more local to cut down on their expense and they have been making regional announcements. Usually the first move is on you (you pay to go where they want) and the subsequent moves are on them.

There are many 1811 agencies that don't move people anywhere. They may have you sign a mobility agreement but never really intend to use it. I think you might get more specific info if you state what agencies you're looking at.

Comment

Saltfish and ackee, good combination
      Region 3
      Miami Info Session: 08/17/09
      Interview: 11/02/09
      TO Letter: 01/20/10
      E-Quip completed: 01/28/10
      Medical Exam I: 02/16/10
      Medical Exam II: 02/18/10
      BI: 05/03/10 - completed
      FIT #1 : 04/19/10 (passed)
      Drug Test: 05/26/10
      The CAll: 8/20/10
      FIT #2 :8/30/10(passed)
      FLETC:9/23/10

Also Applied to:

NCIS: In hiring pool
      ICE IEA: Completed process 2008
      CBP: Completed process 2008

Comment

Originally posted by saltfish View Post
        I've heard that USSS is trying to keep people more local to cut down on their expense and they have been making regional announcements. Usually the first move is on you (you pay to go where they want) and the subsequent moves are on them.
        Actually the USSS SAIC who interviewed me said the exact opposite. He said you will NOT work in your hometown. That is guaranteed. You will spend 3-5 years at your first duty location, then you WILL relocate to DC to work a protective detail for 5+ years.
        What is Perseverance?
        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Other than IG agencies, expect to be moved. I hear ICE tries to keep people near where they applied, but that's not the norm for larger FLE agencies.

Also, the first move is on YOU. I moved 5 states away to become a fed, and it killed everything I had in savings at the time, so budget wisely if you apply to a larger 1811 job.
          sigpic

Comment

I know with the DEA, they will bring you back to your location of hire after the academy but you will not stay there more than a year before they move you. One of my buddies got hired in KC, came back there for less than a year after the academy, then was moved by the agency to Chicago......

Same buddy quit DEA and got hired on with FBI out of Chicago and has lived in Indy the last 10 years or so......and has only done a couple of long (30-90 day) TDYs in DC..... thus far.....

Comment

The FBI would never let applicants work in the FO they process out of in the past, due to the housing crash I heard that might change for some if the mortgage is upside down.

That being said, if you get picked up for the FBI and choose NYC/Newark/SF or another high cost of living area you can spend a career in that FO...unless if you want to move past being a 13, then you move.

Comment

In the IRS CI you initially pick from a list of PODs (place of duty), some get there first choice (like I did) others don't get any of their choices. You get the call; they make the offer, you say yes or no.

Once you are at your POD, unless you want to move, generally speaking you don't move, unless you want to be promoted past GS-13.
                "From now until the end of the world, we and it shall be remembered. We few, we Band of Brothers. For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare ("King Henry V")

Comment

USMS won't move you around either. Unless it is for a Sup position you applied for. You can transfer after 3 years at your first District and than every 2 years at which ever District you decided to transfer too.

Comment

Thanks for all of the feedback everybody. Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimble View Post
                      Also, the first move is on YOU. I moved 5 states away to become a fed, and it killed everything I had in savings at the time, so budget wisely if you apply to a larger 1811 job.
                      That sucks....because there are a ton of non-1811 jobs that will pay for moves...... Just depends about the needs of the Gov.....

I got moved out here by the US Gov.......

Comment

If your an 0083 the government is too cheap to move you.
                        I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                          If your an 0083 the government is too cheap to move you.
                          True....but plenty of 0301/0080/1801 jobs out there in the 9 through 14 range that they will pay for the move.....
                          Last edited by Bearcat357; 09-10-2010, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                            True....but plenty of 0301/0080/1801 jobs out there in the 9 through 14 range that they will pay for the move.....
                            Yeah but every few are open to entry level like a GS-5/6.
                            I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by UD4LIFE View Post
                              The FBI would never let applicants work in the FO they process out of in the past....
                              I just had an FBI agent tell me this same thing. Why is or was this??? He didn't know..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9106 users online. 287 members and 8819 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X