Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

State Police v. City Police, insights appreciated!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Police v. City Police, insights appreciated!

Okay, I been with MPD for less than a year and I really enjoy living/working over here. The department is laid back and the job is what it is. Now with that being said though, my ultimate goal like many is to go Federal one day. Anyways, PA State Police hired me for their Sept. 2010 academy that is officially a go. I am basically debating if I should leave MPD for PA State Police. Is it a better career move? or are all these police departments the same in the eyes of federal employers (i.e. will they like the fact that you worked for a city police department more than a state agency or vice versa??)

Just want some insights since I'm debating what to do.....kind of up in the air in the moment.

Hey Buddy,
    Listen it is outstanding that you got hired by MPD and have been there for a year. It is even better that you got hired by the PA State Police, any state agency is reputable however, municipal agencies are very reputable as well. If you looking into Federal Law Enforcement whether it be FBI,CIA,NSA,Secret Service, etc. You are going to need a very stable job history that is very important. If you want to be a trooper be a trooper it's a great career move. If you want to be a Fed go to school get your master's degree get a high GPA 4.0 or higher and upon graduation set up an internship with one of the agencies. You are already a step ahead of the game. If you want to be a Fed go to an University and get good grades and get that degree. If you already have one I suggest stay at your current PD, do outstanding there get in good with the DAs and Judges, maybe have a cup of coffee with your congressman and you will be well on your way to becoming the tip of the spear!

Comment

If you are happy at MPD and like the DC area then stay where you are and keep an eye open for the Fed.

No point in putting yourself through hell at Hershey just to jump federal in a few years. As you know, you will see all kinds of things at MPD and having a stable history and good credit is key.

Being a Trooper is a certain mindset/way of life to many, you need to be a believer and its not a stepping stone position. If you want to live/work/retire in PA then do it, if not stay in DC metro.

Either way stay safe.

Originally posted by DominicanOps View Post
      Okay, I been with MPD for less than a year and I really enjoy living/working over here. The department is laid back and the job is what it is. Now with that being said though, my ultimate goal like many is to go Federal one day. Anyways, PA State Police hired me for their Sept. 2010 academy that is officially a go. I am basically debating if I should leave MPD for PA State Police. Is it a better career move? or are all these police departments the same in the eyes of federal employers (i.e. will they like the fact that you worked for a city police department more than a state agency or vice versa??)

Just want some insights since I'm debating what to do.....kind of up in the air in the moment.

Comment

Just my $.02. Worked as a local in Baltimore City and lived in southern PA. Then I transferred to a small PA dept. for a few months. I am good friends with a few troopers in the area and they all handle crashes for the most part and BS calls. If you are looking to live in PA I would recommend living outside of York and commuting to Baltimore City or Baltimore County. Both departments are very busy yet you can get the peace and quiet of PA with the tax break when you retire. PSP is a great agency though but not if you want to get after it. Personally, I would stick it out with MPD and go FED. You definitely have the experience.

Comment

man its almost 6 in one hand and half a dozen in the other....it really depends on what fed agency u want to work for...ex: if u can get into a narc unit at MPD and be aggressive/successful you could use that as a stepping stone to the DEA, or a detective into the fbi....but i understand that feds like to look at state police a little more than local because of the training (look at most state academies compared to most local post academies)....i know our agency turns guys onto the feds much more often than any other in our state...but i also believe u have to look at each hire, each dept, individually not just as a whole...just my .02 cents
          The greatest injustice is using the law to keep justice at bay.

Comment

As you know BPD, working in a city like DC/Bmore is much different compared to pulling traffic on a highway in PA. I have several Trooper friends in PA and they work all kinds of stuff. One guy was undercover Narc for a few years and is now back on the road, PSP is does a little of everything and is the top dog in PA.

I wouldn't use PSP as a stepping stone for the Feds, better off staying with MPDC and close to DC. I could not imagine doing a live in State academy just to leave in a few years.

Originally posted by BPD Once View Post
            Just my $.02. Worked as a local in Baltimore City and lived in southern PA. Then I transferred to a small PA dept. for a few months. I am good friends with a few troopers in the area and they all handle crashes for the most part and BS calls. If you are looking to live in PA I would recommend living outside of York and commuting to Baltimore City or Baltimore County. Both departments are very busy yet you can get the peace and quiet of PA with the tax break when you retire. PSP is a great agency though but not if you want to get after it. Personally, I would stick it out with MPD and go FED. You definitely have the experience.

Comment

There are plenty of people that would love to be in you're position at MPD and from what I have heard many officers hold it in high regards. Personally I would rather be on the streets in DC than doing traffic but I'm sure the troopers do a lot more than that. Don't you have to stay with MPD for a certain amount of time before you an leave?
              "It's like you said. All I am is what I'm going after." - Al Pacino

Comment

Thanks for the insights!!! Very much appreciated, just will have to sit on it for a week or so Be safe all!

BTW love the Bad Boys avatar lmao

Comment

Yes, you have to stay for 2 years....if you leave before that you ahve to pay 5k dollars, but from what I heard they don't really pursue that route since they don't want to deal with the drama.

Comment

Originally posted by DominicanOps View Post
                    Yes, you have to stay for 2 years....if you leave before that you ahve to pay 5k dollars, but from what I heard they don't really pursue that route since they don't want to deal with the drama.
                    Oh they sure do go that route. A guy that just lateralled to the dept I'm at came from MPD... And they sure collected that 5k.. They also got petty and he didn't have his name tag on him to turn in so they charged him like $15 for it.. Yes, a name tag they will not re-use... So if you do leave plan on paying that money. From what it sounds like, he knows other guys he worked with that had to repay that as well.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10130 users online. 377 members and 9753 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X