300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needing some Advice!

Im NEW to this forum, but it has helped me out alot. I really need some Advice from some Officers that may have some info on this. I live in Trussville, AL, and i recently took the Personnel Board Exam at Downtown Birmingham. I took it on June 21st. I received my score and ranking, but i wasnt too satisfied with it. I scored a 75.00 and ranked as #74. I was wondering what my odds are in hearing from a Department, or what should i do to up my chances on getting hired at a Department? Im currently in school Majoring in Criminal Justice too, as well as working as a Loss Prevention Agent! If anyone could give me some advice on what to do, what my odds are in getting hired, and if there are any Departments hiring in Alabama,. . . . Please, let me know. Thanks alot!

Your score determines your position on the list. Agencies hire based on score order. Position 1 gets hired first, position 2 gets hired second, etc. If your position is 74, That means they are going to go through 73 candidates before they get to you.

On the positive side, about half will probably fail the background, medical or psych, meaning they will only need to go through about 36 actual hires before they get to you.

If you applied with a large department that has a big turnover, you probably stand a chance of being picked up in the next year or two. If you applied with a small department with little turnover, the list will probably expire before they can reach you.

The easiest thing to do is call civil service or the personnel board (or whatever they call it down there) and ask them how long the list is good for and how many appointments they expect to make over the life of the list. Using simple math, you should be able to figure out whether or not you will be reachable.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I understand the whole process and how they choose from the Registar. I was just a little upset about my score. I did find out that the List will expire after 1 year, but the turn over for Jefferson Conty seems to be pretty steady. Im not sure of any departments hiring as of right now and i didnt know if i should go and fill out their application packets or just sit back and wait. I just feel like nothings getting done with me just sitting around.

Comment

My apologies, I misunderstood your question.

Not much you can do. You simply didn't give enough correct answers to get a higher score.

If you can find out how many appointments they intend to make over the life of the list, that will give you an idea as to whether you will be reachable (based on your position).

Personally, being that far down a one year list I would start testing at lots of other places to have a back up plan. If they ask, you can say you have tested with your current agency and are on the list but not yet reachable. That is an acceptable and honorable response no one will question.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6184 users online. 229 members and 5955 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X