300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having education and military exp.

i have an associates in Criminal Justice after unable to land a police officer job in illinois i have hit a cross roads, i have since decided to join the Air Force Enlisted Active Duty and join for 4 years and it will be i Security Forces. With having getting more education with the college credits provided by the air force and active duty exp. this will this help me out , pushing to the top 5 instead of usually finishing 10-15 on a elgibility list? any advice anyone may have please PM me or post, let it be known the job market in Illinois is very tough to get a police job

It will push you up, but you're not going to automatically jump up 30-60% because you spent 4 years in the military, especially in a place like Illinois where I hear there are many many more applicants than jobs. Now, if you get that 4 year degree while you're in, and you have no only military creds but also a 4 year degree, you'll jump up quite a bit. Also, do something you enjoy! Don't do criminal justice just because you want to be a cop, it'll help you no more than any other degree. Don't do SF just because you want to be a cop, it'll help you no more than any other military job. I see you like listening to radios, why not look into some communications jobs in the military?

Comment

a good buddy of mine has been trying hard to break into a 1811/0083 gig for the past 8 months and the only thing he has heard back from a POST invitation for USSS-UD. This guy received his BA from an Ivy and 6 years of commissioned officer experience in an Army Aviation unit. Nothing, not even a Phase I invite from the FBI or a TEA invitation.

I seriously think its a crapshoot at times

Comment

Having a BS in CJ and serving 5 years in the army, I can say that military will help you out...at least in the federal system. Get a deployment under your belt and you will qualify for 5 points of Vet Preference and will be able to apply for any "Status" federal job. If you're unlucky enough to get a Purple Heart or to get at least 10% disability from the VA upon exiting service, you will get 10 points of Vet Preference. The Vet Preference is priceless when trying to get a federal job. As a 5-10 point Vet you automatically go to the top of the list for any "Public" Openings and you will be able to apply for "Status" openings. If you're a 5-10 point Vet, the agency HAS to hire you over a non-Vet in a public announcement.

As far as jobs to do in the military, you can never go wrong with anything special ops. The training you get there that can transfer to the public sector is priceless. The Air Force is the way to go for quality of life while serving. I was an EOD tech and had an awesome time, gots loads of experience, and have been a Fed Agent for over 4 years now. Good luck to you man and don't let anyone tell you it can't be done!

Comment

Originally posted by wildstar82 View Post
          If you're unlucky enough to get a Purple Heart or to get at least 10% disability from the VA upon exiting service, you will get 10 points of Vet Preference.
          Never realized the upside of getting the purple heart

Having a degree with military experience is a great help and by the time you are done with your commitment the economy should be in much better shape.

Only a few years ago there was a Police shortage, then economy tanks and now its impossible...once everything improves most of the current LE applicants will return to the private sector for better pay/hours.

Comment

Originally posted by UD4LIFE View Post
            Only a few years ago there was a Police shortage, then economy tanks and now its impossible...once everything improves most of the current LE applicants will return to the private sector for better pay/hours.
            Yes but all of the officers who have lost their jobs will also be applying for positions.
            But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Valid point. Don't forget there will be retirements of current Officers during that time period.

Truth is its hard to get into LE and a bit of a crap shoot.

Originally posted by kc12 View Post
              Yes but all of the officers who have lost their jobs will also be applying for positions.

Comment

Getting into LE isn't that hard, if you are willing to move. even in the FED, if you are willing to move and go to less desirable locations just to get your foot in the door. Getting started in some of the other FED LE jobs, helps too (uniformed fed le). Once you are in you will see kids straight out of school, to combat vets, to local cops who had a hook. Maximize any opportunity you get.

Comment

Am I the only one who sees something wrong with the equation..... put my life on the line for retards + a four yea college degree (mental anguish) = a possibility at a job
                  "There is no pain in death; it only hurts to die."

Comment

Military experience and a degree doesn't automatically get you in the door with federal agencies as an 1811 but it does make you competitive. Just stay after it and be persistent. Many have done it and many more will. Good luck.
                    "Between you and every goal that you wish to achieve, there is a series of obstacles, and the bigger the goal, the bigger the obstacles. Your decision to be, have and do something out of the ordinary entails facing difficulties and challenges that are out of the ordinary as well. Sometimes your greatest asset is simply your ability to stay with it longer than anyone else."
                    ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by mpls finest View Post
                      Am I the only one who sees something wrong with the equation..... put my life on the line for retards + a four yea college degree (mental anguish) = a possibility at a job
                      Even with a 4 year degree, 9 years Military including 4 years MP and SRT experience, and Civilian Police as well as CONUS Executive Protection experience, 3 years Private Investigation experience, speaking a foreign language fluently and 10% Veterans preference, it is difficult for me to find a job so yeah, possibility at a job.

Lucky for me, I live near a military base and they are hiring civilian police officers and I am in the process of getting hired.

In 2008, I had to take a job doing something that was not LE related just to pay the bills so I can understand how difficult it must be for a lot of people right now. My advice is not to give up and make yourself more competitive.
                      Former Sgt/USMC
                      Former Police Officer
                      Current Private Investigator

----------------------------------
                      US Capitol Police
                      Applied: 8/2010
                      Offer: 8/2010
                      BI: 8/2010
                      POST Test: ?

Comment

being a veteran isn't a great stepping stone for becoming law enforcement. at least not in this economy.
                        if you want to serve your country, thats one thing. but i'd recommend against it if you are doing it only to become an LEO. sure it helps, but you're better off served spending that time getting very good grades in a specialized degree such as accounting/law, a job/intern in that field and finally when you got some years experience under your belt, apply to a fed agency.

this is coming from a military vet.
                        Last edited by tk90; 08-31-2010, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mbmx13 View Post
                          Even with a 4 year degree, 9 years Military including 4 years MP and SRT experience, and Civilian Police as well as CONUS Executive Protection experience, 3 years Private Investigation experience, speaking a foreign language fluently and 10% Veterans preference, it is difficult for me to find a job so yeah, possibility at a job.

Lucky for me, I live near a military base and they are hiring civilian police officers and I am in the process of getting hired.

In 2008, I had to take a job doing something that was not LE related just to pay the bills so I can understand how difficult it must be for a lot of people right now. My advice is not to give up and make yourself more competitive.
                          You must be doing something wrong then, or have a questionable past history of some sort, if you're having such a hard time getting hired. Apply to multiple agencies, even now, someone is always hiring....

Comment

Originally posted by tk90 View Post
                            being a veteran isn't a great stepping stone for becoming law enforcement. at least not in this economy.
                            if you want to serve your country, thats one thing. but i'd recommend against it if you are doing it only to become an LEO. sure it helps, but you're better off served spending that time getting very good grades in a specialized degree such as accounting/law, a job/intern in that field and finally when you got some years experience under your belt, apply to a fed agency.

this is coming from a military vet.

I very much disagree with the stepping stone statement. Especially if you want to work for an MCIO (NCIS, OSI, etc). My military experience got me interviews and pretty far in the process with USSS, NCIS, DCIS, DEA, FBI phase I invite. I think that military experience is a great stepping stone to Fed law enforcement. Maybe times have changed, I did this back in 2004.
                            "Between you and every goal that you wish to achieve, there is a series of obstacles, and the bigger the goal, the bigger the obstacles. Your decision to be, have and do something out of the ordinary entails facing difficulties and challenges that are out of the ordinary as well. Sometimes your greatest asset is simply your ability to stay with it longer than anyone else."
                            ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by DilithiumDenard View Post
                              I very much disagree with the stepping stone statement. Especially if you want to work for an MCIO (NCIS, OSI, etc). My military experience got me interviews and pretty far in the process with USSS, NCIS, DCIS, DEA, FBI phase I invite. I think that military experience is a great stepping stone to Fed law enforcement. Maybe times have changed, I did this back in 2004.
                              times have changed.
                              economy has changed.

think accountant, lawyer, computers

it seems that's what most fed agencies are looking for. at least from my experience. i could be wrong. i

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8384 users online. 304 members and 8080 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X