Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military to L.E. Transition.

Greeting's members and officers,

I appreciate you all taking the time to review my post and hope that I am not asking anything that has already been answered. I am twenty one years old and am currently deployed and on active duty with the U.S. Air Force, I will return to the states in five months and plan on leaving active duty and joining the reserves in Fort Worth TX with the goal of being hired on by either Dallas PD or Fort Worth PD. I have had a very successfull career in the military and have just about completed two years of my bachelors, however I have always aspired to become a police officer and am willing to leave a profitable career behind in order to attain my dream. My only fear is hiring set backs, the economy, etc, as I have never really been on my own as it were without family or the military there to rely upon in case of such things. To whomever might be familiar with the area, I am curious to know how competitive the hiring process is at the moment, or what it might be projected to be in the near future. I will have two years of college done upon applying and will be working for the bachelors, three years of honorable active duty military service, am in excellent physical condition with no moving violations and a small misdemeanor which was dismissed when i was 14, and likely the air force will be cross training me into security forces when i join the reserve which are our MP's, so military LE experience as well. If anyone could offer a bit of guidance and or advice I would be extremely gratefull. I appreciate your time and patience and look forward to hearing back. All my best.

V/R

Chris.

welcome to the forum ... not much to say really, the economy is pretty bad these days - most departments are trying not to fire people, nevermind hiring newbies. Post up in the TX state forum and you might get a little more specific advice.

I don't know about the airforce, but I do remember back in the 90's that Army Times used to have advertisements in the back, from PDs who would be visiting posts/bases. Could always ride out another enlistment in the AF and finish your degree.

A few years' work experience, a 4 year degree in something other than criminal justice, and military history would stand you in good stead with most PDs when they're ready to hire again.

PS ... are you saying you consider the AF a profitable career? In LE, with the exception of the deep south, you can probably count on O5-O6 level salary after a few years. Good luck.
    Last edited by JI603; 08-12-2010, 07:47 PM.

Comment

I would seriously think about staying in for another enlistment. Eight years in the military is not that long. It will give you more time to finish your degree and give the economy time to recover. I can't tell you how many people I know who have gotten out of the military, only to find out the job market isn't as good as they thought. If these people are lucky they can get back into the military, if not they are stuck taking some crappy job hoping for something to improve. I was one of those people and that was during the good times in the economy.

You sound like you like your job in the military and eight years of guaranteed employment in these economic times doing a job you don't mind is very good. I have taken many risks in my work life, but I would not take the one you are talking about....then again I am married with a kid. If I had stayed in and not taken a break in service then got out again, I would be retiring in six months. It goes by faster than you think.
      But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Thank you for the input so far gentlemen, I also posted a transcript of my earlier post in the TX forum as suggested. That is sad to hear about the economy, I actually cant stand my job! It is guarenteed employment, but I feel like I need to get my life started, I figure some chances only come around once in a life time, I'm young and single and if worse comes to worse I can live on my GI Bill and finish out my degree untill I get hired. I dont think I would be able to do this with a wife or a kid or both! Thanks again for the input KC. All the best.

Chris.

Comment

I was in the reserves with several people who were using the GI bill for education. It worked out very well for them. They had a standby job whenever they wanted it and they had the one weekend per month thing. They would talk to the Air Reserve Technician and have orders cut for the summer and between fall and spring semester so they were working and making money when not in school. The reserve unit I was with was hurting for people to come in and work, so it was easy for us to negotiate good schedules and work as much time as we wanted within regulations. Once you are finished with school, if the economy has not improved, you might be able to load up on mandays, and TDY's to make ends meet. So it might not be all bad. The reserve unit I was assigned was stationed on an Air Guard base. It seemed people would move form the Air Guard to the Reserves and back a lot to improve their rank or position.

The one thing that can hurt is involuntary mobilizations. My last active duty unit had a reserve until attached to it. When 9-11 happened the entire reserve unit was activated. Some of the guys were in school and had to drop all of their classes. One was in his last year and had to drop out until he was deactivated. He tried everything he could to get a deferment for 8 months until he could graduate, but was unsuccessful. He was ****ed he didn't get to walk with the people he had gone to school with for the previous three years.
          But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

KC, thank you for the advice! I had thought that my plan would work out. The confirmation is encouraging and exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you again.
            Last edited by Cherubael; 08-14-2010, 01:40 PM.

Comment

If are going to stay in, a better choice would be to retrain into OSI. It would give you A LOT of good LE experiences. You will go the same federal LE training the vast majority of Federal Agents attend (CITP). You will get the opportunity to work with other federal agencies and work some cases in the civilian LE side with AUSA. You can also continue your degree while in. The other nice thing is if you decided to go federal LE, you would already be trained courtesy of the USAF.

Comment

Originally posted by Cherubael View Post
                KC, thank you for the advice! I had thought that my plan would work out. The confirmation is encouraging and exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you again.
                Please don't take it as confirmation of what you will be able to do, but only as what was possible. A lot of stuff has changed since I was in the reserves. My reserve experience was almost 20 years ago. The reserve unit attached to my active unit didn't have any where near the number of mandays available as the reserve unit I was assigned to. It was easy to max out on mandays in the reserve unit where I had been assigned. The one that was attached to my active unit would only give out mandays in very limited situations and for very limited duration.

Comment

Did you say the military is a profitable career? What military are you in? It wasn't ever profitable to me in my 4 years lol. Anyways, I agree with 1801, if you can get into OSI that is what you should do. You could use that experience and trasnfer over to just about any Fed agency b/c you'll already have CITP under your belt.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8245 users online. 378 members and 7867 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X