300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jkcareer101 View Post
    No work history. I guess I have a clean record because I've never used illegal substances, no arrest, and no DUI. I think I somewhat struggled on situational questions. Interviewers didn't gave me any feedback.
    I notice you didn't answer the others on here when they commented on it, so I'll throw it out there too. Don't take it as an insult. When you are typing these responses there are quite a few errors. It could be that you are just in a hurry, but it doesn't seem to be the case. If you just got a Bachelor's, your writing skills should be better. Could this be impacting you. For example, in the above quote, you say "Interviewers didn't gave me any feedback." Does that sentence make sense to you?
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

jk, Let me get this straight? I'm guessing you're around 22-24 years old and you've NEVER held any type of employment?
      Brad

Comment

Are you failing the orals? Or are you merely finishing out of the top ranks?

If it's an outright failing of the orals, then perhaps we can help.

If it's better, more well-rounded and experienced candidates than you, perhaps not; as we, here, do not know who your competition is.
        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Are you a native english speaker? Not an insult im just noticing some very specific errors in your written grammer and it seems that maybe you grew up as english being a second language, which may be your issue. On the other hand if this is not the case than I can tell you that looking at your current experience, I would not hire you. Law enforcement agencies, whether local or federal, like a solid work history, military is good, degree is good, military & degree is better, throw in a foreign language (i.e. spanish, french, creole, arabic, urdu, farsi, russian, tagalog) and you are set. I am not saying you will not and can not be hired with what you have now, I am sure you can, but its gonna be hard considering most candidates have a mix of what I listed. I, for example, do not have a degree, some agencies dont like that and wont consider me regardless of my resume. I am a current federal LEO but what got me in was military, law enforcement experience, experience living and operating overseas and multiple foreign languages.
          Last edited by TheHulk0316; 08-11-2010, 08:54 PM. Reason: Content.
          "Anyone can beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." - Prefontaine

Comment

Originally posted by chaps0063 View Post
            jk, Let me get this straight? I'm guessing you're around 22-24 years old and you've NEVER held any type of employment?
            Correct.

Comment

Originally posted by jkcareer101 View Post
              Correct.
              This will be a major turn off for any Law Enforcement agency. Join the military.
              "Anyone can beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." - Prefontaine

Comment

Originally posted by jeffIL View Post
                I notice you didn't answer the others on here when they commented on it, so I'll throw it out there too. Don't take it as an insult. When you are typing these responses there are quite a few errors. It could be that you are just in a hurry, but it doesn't seem to be the case. If you just got a Bachelor's, your writing skills should be better. Could this be impacting you. For example, in the above quote, you say "Interviewers didn't gave me any feedback." Does that sentence make sense to you?
                I read all responses. And police officers that I personally know told me that I need to have thick skin because senior officers will never say anything positive. So I don't take criticisms personally. And I do admit that I need to work on writing skills. I'm not blaming on anybody, but what do you expect when majority of my English teachers just sat in the classroom and gave passing grade as long as you come to class? That's the reason why I'm taking grammar classes right now. It's better late than never. But I don't think it's the main reason why I failed oral.

Comment

Originally posted by jgorto View Post
                  im no detective or anything but this thread seems like a joke. "why am i keep failing oral interviews" oh boy!
                  LOL "But why did I failed oral interviews for 4 consecutive times?"

Comment

@jkcareer101
                    I understand the lack of work experience - I just left college and didn't have much employment history other than a few temporary jobs at the bookstore and such. Do you have any volunteer experience though? Showing that you volunteered with a civic organization, had an unpaid internship, had an elected position in a student organization, or did something else work-like without pay is better than just leaving that section of the application blank. Some applications even specifically say to include volunteer experience. I had a BI (background investigator) tell me that what they mostly look for in employment history is a record of prompt completion of duties, lack of discipline problems, and general reliability. So long as somebody can verify any volunteer experience, a BI can check up on all those things. Just my .02 cents - take it with a grain of salt though - I haven't been hired anywhere yet either... that's why I'm planning on putting myself through academy.

Comment

I used to volunteer a lot when I was in junior high.

Comment

Waste of time thread.

Comment

jk, what was your degree in?

How could you have possibly went to college, earned a bachelor's degree, and never had to write anything that was critiqued? What college did you attend?

What are you doing now that you're not in college and not working?
                          Brad

Comment

Originally posted by chaps0063 View Post
                            jk, what was your degree in?

How could you have possibly went to college, earned a bachelor's degree, and never had to write anything that was critiqued? What college did you attend?

What are you doing now that you're not in college and not working?
                            I was wondering the exact same thing. As far as I can remember, every paper that I have written has been graded for not only the content, but grammar and spelling as well. I don't claim to be an expert, or even very good with my grammar, but I don't see how someone could earn a BA and not be able to properly form sentences.
                            Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

If this thread is real and im still skeptical that it isnt. Keep taking grammar classes and get a job where you deal with the public to build your resume such as a job in the human services field or security. When I was 21 my first oral board was with LAPD, I did okay but not well enough to be hired right away, as I got older and gained experience working with people my resume got better. Also with age and experience I scored very high on oral boards. Give it time and you will improve.
                              Ivan, did you see the sun rise this morningsigpic?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10596 users online. 449 members and 10147 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X