Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why am I keep failing oral interviews?

I aced written exams, passed physical agility test, had 3 ride alongs, researched everything on agency and its city, and read bunch of threads from this site. But why did I failed oral interviews for 4 consecutive times? And I didn't say stupid things like "I want to be a cop because I have a list of Mexicans and Blacks I want to arrest" like mentally retarded guy I know. Any tips or comments?

Maybe give some examples what they are asking and how you are responding.

Comment

Originally posted by X1X1X1 View Post
      Maybe give some examples what they are asking and how you are responding.
      I can't because I agreed with non-disclosure agreement. I think I need to work on "Why do you want to be a police officer?" Question, but I don't think I failed because of this question.

Comment

Can't really comment if the only info you can provide is that you keep failing. I've been to (about) 10 oral boards and scored between 70-93. It's hard not to be nervous. Really hard, but the best scores I've had came from interviews that I wasn't scared sh*tless walking in. Try parking a few blocks away and jog in for the next one. That little bit of PT helps kill off any nerves. Just try not be a sweat hog, though, because that won't win points

Comment

im no detective or anything but this thread seems like a joke. "why am i keep failing oral interviews" oh boy!
          Ivan, did you see the sun rise this morningsigpic?

Comment

Originally posted by X1X1X1 View Post
            Can't really comment if the only info you can provide is that you keep failing. I've been to (about) 10 oral boards and scored between 70-93. It's hard not to be nervous. Really hard, but the best scores I've had came from interviews that I wasn't scared sh*tless walking in. Try parking a few blocks away and jog in for the next one. That little bit of PT helps kill off any nerves. Just try not be a sweat hog, though, because that won't win points
            Then can you tell me threads that you read on this site to prepare oral interview?

Comment

It might not be that you failed the oral. It might be that your other qualifications didn't put you at the top of the pile. It could also be that your background, while meeting the minimum requirements, wasn't as clean as others who interviewed. So tell me, what are your other qualifications? Military, college, work experience? Also fill us in about your background a little.

The oral board is a good way for agencies to trim the fat from a hiring process when there are too many candidates. It might be that you are a perfectly fine candidate, but there are excellent candidates who applied also, and they don't have enough spots for everyone.
              What is Perseverance?
              -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
              -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
              -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by jkcareer101 View Post
                I aced written exams, passed physical agility test, had 3 ride alongs, researched everything on agency and its city, and read bunch of threads from this site. But why did I failed oral interviews for 4 consecutive times? And I didn't say stupid things like "I want to be a cop because I have a list of Mexicans and Blacks I want to arrest" like mentally retarded guy I know. Any tips or comments?
                You might want to take a look here http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/...guide_0809.pdf

This is the California POST manual on conducting oral interviews. Its a lot to read, but it will give you an idea of exactly what they are looking for and what they score you on.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

When you speak, would you actually say something like "Why am I keep failing"? I had to read that a couple of times before I figured you must have meant "Why DO I keep failing" or "Why AM I failing". If that was just a typo, no worries, but if not, you may have issues with people taking you seriously if you're grammar is below a typical high school graduate's.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimble View Post
                    When you speak, would you actually say something like "Why am I keep failing"? I had to read that a couple of times before I figured you must have meant "Why DO I keep failing" or "Why AM I failing". If that was just a typo, no worries, but if not, you may have issues with people taking you seriously if you're grammar is below a typical high school graduate's.

I definitely got a good laugh out of the original poster's statement. The gramatical error seems to make it clear as to why he might be having trouble passing.
                    Hoping to make the move from one capital to another

Comment

Originally posted by Kimble View Post
                      +1. If you talk anything like you write, that might be why....
                      Originally posted by kontemplerande
                      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                        It might not be that you failed the oral. It might be that your other qualifications didn't put you at the top of the pile. It could also be that your background, while meeting the minimum requirements, wasn't as clean as others who interviewed. So tell me, what are your other qualifications? Military, college, work experience? Also fill us in about your background a little.

The oral board is a good way for agencies to trim the fat from a hiring process when there are too many candidates. It might be that you are a perfectly fine candidate, but there are excellent candidates who applied also, and they don't have enough spots for everyone.
                        I received Bachelor degree 6 months ago, no working experience, 1 speed ticket two years ago, and clean record. I think my weakness is lack of experience, and there are a lot of applicants these days because of bad economy.

Comment

What do you mean no working experience? Do you mean no experience in law enforcement or no work history?

Define "clean record" for us. That can mean a lot of things.

How do you feel after your interviews? What kind of feedback are you receiving from them?
                          Brad

Comment

Originally posted by chaps0063 View Post
                            What do you mean no working experience? Do you mean no experience in law enforcement or no work history?

Define "clean record" for us. That can mean a lot of things.

How do you feel after your interviews? What kind of feedback are you receiving from them?
                            No work history. I guess I have a clean record because I've never used illegal substances, no arrest, and no DUI. I think I somewhat struggled on situational questions. Interviewers didn't gave me any feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by jkcareer101 View Post
                              No work history. I guess I have a clean record because I've never used illegal substances, no arrest, and no DUI. I think I somewhat struggled on situational questions. Interviewers didn't gave me any feedback.
                              That could be part of the issue during oral interviews. How do you elaborate on a question without any practical experience? Not saying you are a bad candidate, but those doing the interviewing might see your lack of any work experience as a bad thing.
                              What is Perseverance?
                              -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                              -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                              -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11170 users online. 483 members and 10687 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X