300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking into Federal Law Enforcement

Well, I am finishing up my 4 year degree (finally). I have been in the Coast Guard Reserves and Air Force Reserves and have a state peace officer license (graduated the academy December of 09) and now I am finishing up my bachelors. I have been looking at Federal Law Enforcement and Investigator positions however almost all require some investigative experience (alot within another Federal branch). Likewise many of them seem to ignore or discount uniformed experience as well. I wanted to know how to "break" into this career field? For someone like me who is about to finish school, what are my options? I am pretty much interested in all branches - FBI, Secret Service, DEA, US Marshals, OSI, DOJ Investgiators...any and all.

Are there internships for people who are outside of school?
    Is there some career route I can take?
    What are some starting options I can work that will possibly lead me into the area of becoming a special agent or field investigator etc

Thanks

Well I don't know about the "ignore or discount uniformed experiece". My recommendation is to do something you enjoy and do it well.

I know Border Patrol is hiring. I've been told by a recruiting agent for a large agency that BP is an excellent way to break in federal investigative positions.

Comment

You didn't say what your degree is in! That makes a difference. military CID is one idea. You'll not only earn veterans preference points but also develop criminal investigation skills.
      FBI CI 1811:
      June 2007: Applied
      July 2007: Phase I
      October 2010: Phase II
      March 2011: PFT, PSI, Polygraph, Medical
      April 2011: BI, Spouse Interview

Critical Skills: accounting & FLEO

Comment

My degree is in Applied Arts of Law Enforcement

Comment

Originally posted by nsiops View Post
          My degree is in Applied Arts of Law Enforcement
          If you already have the police cert, why not apply for a local gig and then get some exp. under your belt. And then after some years, apply for a federal job.
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I have the cert, but I am concerned becuase alot of the places hiring are small departments (and I have already had a bad experience with one) that don't offer much in advancing into investigations. Likewise it seems that many of these applications I am seeing for investigators want either previous federal employees, or someone who has had investigative experience. Alot of the "investigative" experience goes on to exclude uniformed duty gigs. I would be interested in some of the local big cities, however alot of them seem to be cutting back and possibly laying off.

Comment

Originally posted by nsiops View Post
              I have the cert, but I am concerned becuase alot of the places hiring are small departments (and I have already had a bad experience with one) that don't offer much in advancing into investigations. Likewise it seems that many of these applications I am seeing for investigators want either previous federal employees, or someone who has had investigative experience. Alot of the "investigative" experience goes on to exclude uniformed duty gigs. I would be interested in some of the local big cities, however alot of them seem to be cutting back and possibly laying off.
              Bad experience how? Not everyone starts off as "supercop" Investigator. Take what you can get. Your degree will not get you a job with the FBI currently and the other alphabet agencies you mentioned, well read the threads on here about them and their hiring trends/criteria. What I askis, what strives you to be an investigator? Do you really know what an 1811 Criminal Investigator does with certain agencies? What I will say, is you do have options, they are very broad, but you need to apply and take what you can get, whether it's local, big city or federal. A jobs a job in Law enforcement these days. It's very competitive.

You are certified, take advantage of your situation.
              "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Bad experience - as in I worked for a smaller agency (5 officer patrol) for a short period. The agency didn't take a liking to the fact that I wanted to finish my degree, and become an investigator or move into a specialized field. They wanted me to work there for the long term (10-15 years) and advance as an SRO or Supervisory position. After expressing interest of wanting to eventually grow into narcotics, CID, or another area they didn't want to invest in me. I have maintained a good report with them, as far as being able to use them for a reference , however it has turned me off to small agenies. In contrast I am interested, and have applications out for some of the larger municiple agencies/departments, but as many people know -local governments are really tightening their belts. Federal positions still seem to be open, but the market has caused major competition. I am young and I don't have a wife and kids or anything so I am open to options, internships, and any entry level work I can get.

Comment

Dont know where you got your info from dude. Requirements for almost all of those is minimum four year degree. Just bonus points to have military and LE experience. Only one I have seen get a little picky is FBI...but you still sound more than qualified. I have a four year degree and 5 years of police work. People with a 4 year and military are getting hired in the feds before me. You should be fine.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12006 users online. 479 members and 11527 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X