Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it a bold move : to ask for a day shift position during hiring process?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a lot of people are missing the point here. I don't see anything wrong with asking when you already have a job and expereince in LE. Like others have posted the worst they can say is no. What I am reading is you don't "need" this job, but would like it if you can get day shift. I don't see any problem with at least asking. Now if you are single, 21 and fresh out of college with no expereince that's a different story. Just my 2 cents.
    Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

Comment

I do, it is called UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS,,,, if I were on this persons interview board I would ask them if they think they will be working bankers hours, or teaching school ...... to me the question is crazy, just shows me how out of touch the candidate really is with the profession s/he is about to embark on.......

Kind of like signing up for the Marines and saying you wanted to work 9-5 with weekends and holidays off.... No problems son, I'lll just schedule all our combat on a monday to friday schedule to ensure that you are properly rested and that it does not affect your home life....... WTF

Comment

Originally posted by ryker View Post
        The rotation of 3 on 2 off 2 on 3 off for 12hr nightshift just doesn't allow for a sleep schedule that functions with an active lifestyle.
        Well gee willikers, we're sorry the job is interfering with your "Active lifestyle". Do you need naptime and a scheduled lunch, as well? Stay in the private sector, we don't have a use for you on the job.

Comment

You should probably not ask for a "day shift" but should instead ask if shifts are bid upon by seniority. That in and of itself should probably answer your question.
          Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
          I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
          Originally posted by weinerdog2000
          as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

What you should do is ask for a ride along for the interview if you haven't already. During the ride-a-long, you can ask any questions you may have and it would also look like you are more interested in the job than other applicants who didn't ask for a ride-a-long. If I was the interviewer and you asked me that question, I would think that: 1) here you are not even hired yet and you are asking for special consideration and 2) I would wonder why you didn't take the time to speak to a current employee during a ride-a-long or visit and find that information out beforehand. It is all about preparation and not being high maintenance. Only ask questions or make statements that set you apart from other candidates in a good way.

Best of luck!
            Former Sgt/USMC
            Former Police Officer
            Current Private Investigator

----------------------------------
            US Capitol Police
            Applied: 8/2010
            Offer: 8/2010
            BI: 8/2010
            POST Test: ?

Comment

This was just posted on WHAT NOT TO ASK AT THE JOB INTERVIEW...... look at the last one about weekend work, and this goes right along with nights... IMHO

http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Article...334546611-R3-4

Comment

This cracks me up that people are busting this guys ***. Do I think it's right, no....I don't see anyone walking into a department and getting put on permanent days. But there are threads and threads, ICE especially where people are bitching and complaining about getting offered a job but not where they want the job. How is that any different? Nobody is saying anything about that.

I think the OP gets the point. No one would hire him if that was the only shift. Good thing is they have a job and can ask about days. What's the worst that will happen? They'll say no and he's still has a job.

Comment

I would find out about the shift differential and how the schedule is made. Agencies I have worked at that had good shift diff, normally had the senior guys working nights. Agencies that had horrible shift diff had the senior guys working days. When I worked local corrections I was on days about as much as nights and my bid was the leftovers since I was low man. The shift diff was not good and the only time the senior guys wanted anything other than days, was near the holidays.
                  But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                    Go for it, the worst they can tell you is no.
                    Not necessarily. This guy could blackball himself, either from a job, or once hired as "that guy." Part of being a new officer with little or no seniority is to do the grunt work (including crappy schedules as ordered) and earn your worth. Then, with some seniority and a decent reputation, you get more of a say in what you do.

While it depends on the department and people involved in the hiring process as to whether you asking this would land your application a fast-track to the bottom of the stack or not, I would HIGHLY recommend either not doing so or looking for another line of work that fits your life better.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimble View Post
                      Not necessarily. This guy could blackball himself, either from a job, or once hired as "that guy." Part of being a new officer with little or no seniority is to do the grunt work (including crappy schedules as ordered) and earn your worth. Then, with some seniority and a decent reputation, you get more of a say in what you do.

While it depends on the department and people involved in the hiring process as to whether you asking this would land your application a fast-track to the bottom of the stack or not, I would HIGHLY recommend either not doing so or looking for another line of work that fits your life better.
                      It all depends on how he asks. He could ask while in the interview about how long it would take him to get the day shift. Just letting it be known that is what he is looking for. I'm not telling him to go up and demand it. I'm just saying to ask about it, and find out if it is possible. You never know. Where I work, there are a lot of people who prefer night or evening shifts, so sometimes rookies get lucky.
                      What is Perseverance?
                      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by manstown View Post
                        This cracks me up that people are busting this guys ***. Do I think it's right, no....I don't see anyone walking into a department and getting put on permanent days. But there are threads and threads, ICE especially where people are bitching and complaining about getting offered a job but not where they want the job. How is that any different? Nobody is saying anything about that.

I think the OP gets the point. No one would hire him if that was the only shift. Good thing is they have a job and can ask about days. What's the worst that will happen? They'll say no and he's still has a job.
                        Exactly. It isn't any different. If it negatively would effect your family life compared to your current job, it might not be worth it. Money isn't everything, and since you are already employed, you can be a little more picky.
                        What is Perseverance?
                        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

You have to put your time in at my dept to earn a dayshift spot. I've been at mine for 3 years and might have a chance to go to days (with crappy days off) next year at sign-up. If you want a normal work schedule, law enforcement might not be what you're looking for. I have odd weekends, work evening shift, and have missed more family events/holidays than I can count. It comes with the job. You just have to deal with it or move on to other prospects.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5783 users online. 195 members and 5588 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X