Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it a bold move : to ask for a day shift position during hiring process?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a bold move : to ask for a day shift position during hiring process?

Would it be bold to ask if the positions that are open are for xxx shift and would I get dayshift? Would you not hire or prefer a person ask for what shift. ???
    Last edited by ryker; 04-10-2012, 06:49 AM.
    Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Originally posted by ryker View Post
    I know that I don't like nightshift lifestyle. Don't mind the work as it tends to be "real police" work. It's my preference to work dayshift. Would it be bold to ask if the positions that are open are for xxx shift and would I get dayshift? I'd suck up nightshift for a short period but I would quit or not apply if I have to work 12hr nightshifts for years.

No need to waste their time hiring me. Would you not hire or prefer a person ask for what shift. ???

The rotation of 3 on 2 off 2 on 3 off for 12hr nightshift just doesn't allow for a sleep schedule that functions with an active lifestyle.
    I would not hire you.

Also if the department is union you might not be able to bid until a year or 2 in.
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

To be honest, I wouldn't even bother. You will likely be mandated to do nights at some point.

If you can't sacrifice your "active lifestyle," for a few months at a time then a job in law enforcement is probably not for you.

Also, if you ask for it in the interview they will probably not hire you either. They likely want someone who is flexible. I don't know about other agencies, but mine basically says that I am at the mercy of the needs of the agency.

Comment

Don't take this negatively but asking for a shift preference during the hiring or interview process (if its not offered or brought up by the person conducting the interview or reviewing possible new hires) would make you appear to be inflexible. That may not be the image you want to portray during any part of getting a job.
        I also agree with Orlandofed about possibly having to wait if the department has a union.

Just my thoughts.
        Darc
        "The merit of an action lies in finishing it to the end." Genghis Khan

Comment

I'd rather know up front what a person prefers. Happy workers are more productive.
          Last edited by ryker; 04-10-2012, 06:49 AM.
          Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

You should expect to start out on nights or evenings. Depending on the dept and how they run things, it may take years to get a day shift slot. I work day shift now (mostly) and worked nights for years. I am also actively involved in our hiring process. If you told me that night shift cramped your style I wouldn't bother with you. I am a command officer and I can work nights when I have to, so I certainly expect probationary patrolmen to work nights and be happy that they have a full time job in law enforcement.

Comment

In any LE job you are going to work the worst shift and have bad days off for years. In your situation I would not even waste the time applying.

Comment

I would't hire you either.... My impression would be,,, you arecocky, do not know your place, and if you are willing to put demands on us now, what are we in for down the road.

Comment

If the money and the commute and family problems aren't worth it, stay away from it. Money is not everything. If you are happy where you are at with your situation, I don't think a few more dollars an hour and starting all over at the bottom is going to make you a happier person.

Comment

Don't even waste your time applying if you're going to tell them that.
                    Last edited by PL07; 08-05-2010, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Go for it, the worst they can tell you is no.
                      What is Perseverance?
                      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

I agree with TheKansan. Worst they can say is no.

Comment

Nights are part of you being a "FNG" of a dept.....Enjoy

Comment

I work in corrections, and as everyone knows it is a 24/7/365 operation. However there is a large group of officers who only work the day shifts. Honestly the reason so many people leave custody isn't because of the money alone, but their improved personal lives from having a more normal schedule. I'm willing to accept crappy rotating schedules and days off for now, but if in a few years things haven't settled down, I'm sure I won't be very happy.
                            What is Perseverance?
                            -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                            -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                            -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

I'd tell you to GFY. If you want a cushy schedule, join a fire department.
                              I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12048 users online. 479 members and 11569 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X