Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What agency would meet most of my requirements?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What agency would meet most of my requirements?

I'm currently working as a Police Officer, but have always wanted a career as a Special Agent. Lately, I've been worried that I won't enjoy working in agencies that would've been my top choices, such as the FBI.

I would like to work for an agency where there is an opportunity for travel, even overseas. I would also like the agency to have specialized units that may be a little more high speed than the normal investigations performed.

I've contemplated DS or USSS. Are there other agencies I'm missing?

Have you looked into DUSM? They seem pretty good speed. I HEAR that with most 1811 positions you ride the desk a bunch.

Comment

DUSM=jail guard/baliff in my opinion. I se them a lot in DC court and all they do is transport prisoners or stand behind the judge and protect them.... I've talked to some guys who are on task forces and they like it, but the first few years are rough...

If you want overseas travel, I would go for DSS, or FBI... But remeber like someone said, 1811 do a lot of sitting around, and desk riding, it is not what you see in the movies... It also depends on where you are....

I have 2 friends in the same agency...... one goes out all the time, talks to witnesses follows up leads, the other has been told, I want you in the office answering phones, being a 'resource' for other agencies that call ......

Comment

Sounds like you don't want to really be an investigator as much as some other LE function. Being an 1811 is very different from being "high speed" in the usual sense of the meaning. I'd say look into DSS, but protection and RSO work is very different than "high speed".

Comment

Originally posted by tango31 View Post
          I'm currently working as a Police Officer, but have always wanted a career as a Special Agent. Lately, I've been worried that I won't enjoy working in agencies that would've been my top choices, such as the FBI.

I would like to work for an agency where there is an opportunity for travel, even overseas. I would also like the agency to have specialized units that may be a little more high speed than the normal investigations performed.

I've contemplated DS or USSS. Are there other agencies I'm missing?
          DoD agencies do quite a bit of overseas work, to include AFOSI, NCIS, and Army CID (though Army has few civilian agent positions). Even DCIS (who works primarily fraud) has quite a bit of overseas presence.

Nothing wrong with Diplomatic Security, but their attrition rate speaks to the fact it's not a career for everyone.

Also, you don't get more high speed than DEA's FAST teams in Afghanistan, though you'll have to work your way up to that position as a regular field agent first.
          sigpic

Comment

If you want "high speed" investigations, forget about DSS and USSS - they are mainly protection. FBI, DEA, and ATF are pretty good choices for that, depending of course on what cases they assign you.

If you want oversees travel, I'd look at DSS first and also the DoD agencies referenced. I know of several present and former DSS agents who speak of their extensive oversees travel. One of my current peers drew the line when some ten years ago the DSS assigned him to China.
            They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

Echoing GoldBadge, ATF, DSS(lots of overseas assignments) & DEA I would think have thier fair share of investigative and high speed duties. Other

Comment

I agree also with GoldBadge and Kimble about the agencies they mentioned. DEA FAST teams are pretty high speed folks. The US Marshals have SOG but I'm not to sure about the amount of overseas travel they do regularly unless working with other international LE agencies. The few friends I have that took on jobs with DoD do a lot of travel and seem to enjoy it.

Darc
                "The merit of an action lies in finishing it to the end." Genghis Khan

Comment

Thanks for the replies. DSS does seem like it would be fun, but hard on the family. I'll review the ATF's mission because I hadn't really thought of them as an option.

Comment

Originally posted by tango31 View Post
                    I'll review the ATF's mission
                    Lots of stuff involving guns and gang members and other types of bad guys.
                    They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11149 users online. 459 members and 10690 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X