300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiring at the different GL levels

Let’s say a position is announced for the GL 5/7/9 levels. If you are only eligible to apply at the 5 level are you at any disadvantage compared to those who apply at two or all three of the levels? Or does it really not matter since the position is open to candidates for all three levels?

Doesn't matter if you have what makes the agency decide to hire you. Being eligible for a GL-9 doesn't make someone necessarily more likely to be hired than someone hired at a GL-5 (most agencies budget new hires' salaries at what their journeyman level is, so that their salary budget doesn't have to change every year for each individual employee until they reach journeyman pay).
    sigpic

Comment

Just remember when you apply that even if you qualify at higher levels, it isn't guaranteed you will be hired at those levels, as I found out at the BOP. I qualified as a GL-6, but was hired as a GL-5. I actually was the only person out of 14 new hires who started as a GL-5. So until I reach journeyman level, my pay will be thousands of dollars less than my coworkers. That's cool though, I didn't take this job for the money.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10818 users online. 447 members and 10371 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X