300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for federal agency for violent crimes investegations

Hey guys, my girlfriend wants to go into violent crimes investigations. Her dream job is special agent for the FBI, but they didn't want her masters in forensic science, they said they were looking for finance/accounting degrees. She would do local, but she doesn't want to be a street cop for x amount of years before she can become a detective.

She wants to just apply for a staff position and then work up to special agent, but from what I hear, staff positions are pretty crappy in the FBI because if you're not an agent, you're nothing and the agents treat you really bad.

Is there another agency that might work good for her where she might be able to start out doing what she wants to do? Her sister just became a U.S. Marshall, but I don't think my girl wants to work for that agency.

She has an undergrad degree in Psychology and Masters in forensic science and currently works for a private firm that investigates mortgate/insurance fraud and volunteers at the local sheriff's office.

If by Violent Crime you mean Murder, Robbery, Sex Assualt......a police detective would be the way to go. Most of these crimes are local in nature and are handled by locals. A lot of state investigative agencies assist local departments with these types of investigations.

Comment

Any DOJ agency (DEA, ATF, FBI, US Marshals) has presence on or leads local violent crimes task forces. FBI works murders and violent crimes on indian land and federal property... ATF, DEA, and US Marshals simply deal with the worst of the worst.

But as far as working a variety of violent crimes from the ground up, yeah, local PD detectives would be the best bet.

Comment

One option is to apply for investigator positions at the county DA or state AG's offices. They usually want people with prior LE experience but the masters might get her in the door too.

Violent crimes are typically not investigated by the feds. The FBI does assist on major violent crime cases but the bulk of what they do are federal investigations, like public corruption, white collar, fraud, terrorism, etc.

USMS does not investigate violent crimes, they mostly chase fugitives and protect the courthouses.

IMO with her resume she would be wasting her time becoming a support staffer at the FBI. I know you said she doesn't want to be a patrol officer, but by far her best bet if she wants to do violent crime cases is to join a major city police department and work her way up to detective (or get hired as a DA investigator).
        Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

Tell her to stop being so picky.

When I decided I wanted to work in law enforcement, I didn't sit here and say I only wanted to work drugs. Oddly enough I didn't just apply at the DEA.
          What is Perseverance?
          -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
          -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
          -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by ICEAGENT View Post
            One option is to apply for investigator positions at the county DA or state AG's offices. They usually want people with prior LE experience but the masters might get her in the door too.

Violent crimes are typically not investigated by the feds. The FBI does assist on major violent crime cases but the bulk of what they do are federal investigations, like public corruption, white collar, fraud, terrorism, etc.

USMS does not investigate violent crimes, they mostly chase fugitives and protect the courthouses.

IMO with her resume she would be wasting her time becoming a support staffer at the FBI. I know you said she doesn't want to be a patrol officer, but by far her best bet if she wants to do violent crime cases is to join a major city police department and work her way up to detective (or get hired as a DA investigator).

Yup, no entry level Federal jobs for violent crime. Pretty much gotta work your way up. ICEAGENT is right, large PD, SO or DA's office
            "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Originally posted by Double123 View Post
              If by Violent Crime you mean Murder, Robbery, Sex Assualt......a police detective would be the way to go.
              Or you could do all this as a special agent with a military federal law enforcement agency (ex: NCIS, OSI, Army CID, and CGIS), though you won't work nearly the volume of cases as a fed with one of them as you would as a local detective in a large city (even at the larger military bases around the world). Not to say you couldn't also investigate a matter involving murder, robbery, sexual assault, etc. as an agent with ATF, DEA, US Marshals, Postal Inspection Service, or any number of other federal outfits, but feds in those agencies are usually their because of their specialization (i.e. ATF = guns, DEA = drugs, Marshals = fugitives, etc.), vice being charged with working offenses that are traditionally violations of state laws (ex: murder, sexual assaults, rape, etc).

However, if your friend wants to be an FBI agent, the only way to do that is to apply to FBI, but they are far from the only outfit doing federal criminal investigations.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimble View Post
                Or you could do all this as a special agent with a military federal law enforcement agency (ex: NCIS, OSI, Army CID, and CGIS), though you won't work nearly the volume of cases as a fed with one of them as you would as a local detective in a large city (even at the larger military bases around the world).
                Good point, forgot about the MCIO's. I work with a former NCIS agent who worked a lot of assaults, rapes, murders, etc. Yes, apparently that stuff happens regularly on military bases and vessels.
                Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

As others stated, a large city department (NYPD/Baltimore City/etc) or FULL SERVICE state police agency like PSP/NYSP/etc might be a better fit.

You will need to start on the road/patrol but sky is the limit. For example, an investigative Trooper in PA will work TONS of violent crime cases.

Or...on the federal side you can look at US Park Police, they might be a good fit. If you are not familiar with USPP the name will throw you off but there is tons of federal land around DC with major crime issues

Good point, forgot about the MCIO's. I work with a former NCIS agent who worked a lot of assaults, rapes, murders, etc. Yes, apparently that stuff happens regularly on military bases and vessels.

Comment

Thanks guys, lots of good options. My buddy actually suggested OSI, and there's something like 6 or so Air Force bases around here even though they would probably send her to the middle of nowhere just because.

Comment

Yeah, I have to agree you are not going to find to many feds that do homocide, robbery, assault investigations, as those are state crimes and the feds would just defer to the states. There are USC codes (federal) for murder etc., but I would bet they are not used too much by agencies outside of the military ones listed above. I doubt the FBI would take a homocide case unless it was VERY high profile (but I could be wrong). Believe it or not, but what you see on TV when you have two different agencies yelling and screaming at each other that it is their case and their jurisdiction is the complete opposite. They are instead arguing that its the other guys job and that they are NOT taking it.

Her best bet would be a state agency that is primarily investigations such as the TBI (Tenn, Bureau of Investigation) GBI (Georgia), KBI (Kansas) FDLE (Florida), MBI (Mississippi), etc. I am not sure if every state has an agency that is pure investigation without having to go through state trooper (DPS), but alot have them that you hire directly on. Good Luck.

Comment

I've never worked with a DA investigator that wasn't a cop first. Actually, when I worked in California they all required POST cert...most likely the same for Colorado. They poach from the PDs. I would suggest she focus on what type of gig she wants to work and worry about WHAT she works after getting the gig. Investigator? Cool...get picked up as an investigator, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by ProtectandServe View Post
                          Thanks guys, lots of good options. My buddy actually suggested OSI, and there's something like 6 or so Air Force bases around here even though they would probably send her to the middle of nowhere just because.
                          And they suggested OSI because they investigate violent Crimes? I seriously think your "girl" needs to look at applying for a local agency. Thing is what experience does she have to bring to a Federal agency? A degree and yet she "wants" a certain type of LE. Well she needs to stop watching too much Criminal Minds and focus on actually gettting hired. If she didn't get hired by the FBI, even though they said because of her degree, I doubt she will get picked up by another Fed LE agency. Either way, she needs to start at the bottom somewhere. She can always go work private security somewhere, middle east perhaps...
                          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

As a NCIS agent, I can say firsthand I've worked quite a bit of this stuff (on-base, off-base and on ships), and I've been on less than 5 years. But as I said before, and many others have echoed, if you want to working nothing but traditional violent crimes (homicide, robbery, rape, etc.), and a lot of them, being a local detective or agent with a state police agency would be the best route. Both at the local and state levels, you'll likely have to start off working patrol (and actually learning how to be a cop first) before going on to an investigative gig (though some state agencies, like Georgia's GBI or Florida's FDLE, do not have patrol divisions, as state highway patrol for their states actually fall under a separate agency).
                            Last edited by Kimble; 07-29-2010, 02:28 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

she needs to learn how to walk before she tries to run. by taking somebody with no experience and putting them in that position your doing a disservice to the citizens you're serving, they deserve the most experienced best people out there, not to have their case handled by somebody who is still learning how to be a cop. just my .02
                              +1. Some of the experience, knowledge of the law, "people skills", reporting writing, investigative skills, and other training can only be obtained by working your way up. Plus, many of the state agencies that were previously listed require you to have state certification. To have a real shot at getting hired, you better have good experience.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8949 users online. 400 members and 8549 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X