Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AndeyHall
    replied
    So about how long does it take to become an 1811? And what pay grade-step do 1811's start at?

Leave a comment:

• xynder
    replied
    Any word on USMS GS-13?

Leave a comment:

• manstown
    replied
    In DC, there is a good bit of OT. With courts open on Saturday and Holidays, even 1811's get a good chunk of OT if they sign up for it.

Leave a comment:

• ICEAGENT
    replied
    Originally posted by DUSM1811 View Post

Iceagent is not entirely correct as to overtime. Overtime in the USMS is available but- it has to be scheduled and approved by management in advance of the workweek. The workweek starts on Sundays. So, if something comes up on Monday- it has to be scheduled by Saturday for overtime- if it is scheduled on Sunday- it's LEAP (Law Enforcement Availability Pay). Most special assignements require 12 hour shifts so it will be scheduled in advance- so this is how it goes- Mon-Fr - first 8 hours regular time, next 2 hours LEAP, 2 final hours overtime. Anything on weekends is overtime unless you are traveling back and fourth to your home then it could be Overtime or travel comp time( depending on several circumstances) Confusing isn't it. If your an 082 (you don't get LEAP) so everyhting is overtime. But believe me, being an 1811 getting 25% whether you work it or not is much better than being an 082 getting a little bit of overtime here and there.
    You guys get a lot of OT? We almost never get it, usually the only time is helping the USSS on protection details.

Leave a comment:

• DUSM1811
    replied
    The school MUST be accredited by the U.S. Department of Education. I think you can find the list on their website. A certificate will not do- you must submit an official transcript. (We had a problem a few years ago when DUSMs were buying their degrees from diploma mills for promotion points- they lost their jobs)

Iceagent is not entirely correct as to overtime. Overtime in the USMS is available but- it has to be scheduled and approved by management in advance of the workweek. The workweek starts on Sundays. So, if something comes up on Monday- it has to be scheduled by Saturday for overtime- if it is scheduled on Sunday- it's LEAP (Law Enforcement Availability Pay). Most special assignements require 12 hour shifts so it will be scheduled in advance- so this is how it goes- Mon-Fr - first 8 hours regular time, next 2 hours LEAP, 2 final hours overtime. Anything on weekends is overtime unless you are traveling back and fourth to your home then it could be Overtime or travel comp time( depending on several circumstances) Confusing isn't it. If your an 082 (you don't get LEAP) so everyhting is overtime. But believe me, being an 1811 getting 25% whether you work it or not is much better than being an 082 getting a little bit of overtime here and there.

Leave a comment:

• manstown
    replied
    Received my degree online and it doesn't seem to bother them. Of course I was already hired and working when I finished. But I wouldn't see why it would be an issue as long as it is from an accredited school.

Leave a comment:

• AndeyHall
    replied
    Originally posted by jlac20 View Post
    I dont think you searched hard enough, because everything you just asked is on the USMS website. The difficulty of getting into the program, you would need to ask your department chair perhaps, but im pretty sure criminal justice majors have priority just as they did at my university where I attended. Availability pay is something you will not get in the co op program. Thats law enforcement availability pay, which is 25% more. As far as pay, go to the USMS forum, and current deputies on that forum could answer any questions you have better.
    Also, another thing I thought of jlac, when I talked to the SC recruiter, he told me that he would recommend me not change my major from Mechanical Engineering to somethig like criminal justice. He said the reason being was because that was why they came up with the Work Intern Program (as apposed to the one for college students). He said it was to start getting employees from a broader range of employment backgrounds. His recommendation was that instead, I do something to get some raw experience. I just decided to keep my major and as soon as I turn 21 in a few months, I'm going to join the Deputy Reserves at my sheriffs dept. I don't have time to get a full time job with it with school and all so that was my only option for part time.

Leave a comment:

• AndeyHall
    replied
    Originally posted by berman01 View Post
    Does anyone know what the USMS thinks of online degrees or if they even accept them? I am thinking of doing online schooling but would like some input on this first
    Now I really don't know much about it at all, however, I got on google and searched for USMS recommended schools and everything it brought up was for online degrees. All the schools that had a criminal justice program directly affiliated with the USMS was online, so I would think they would. Give your state recruiter a call though.

Leave a comment:

• berman01
    replied
    Does anyone know what the USMS thinks of online degrees or if they even accept them? I am thinking of doing online schooling but would like some input on this first

Leave a comment:

• AndeyHall
    replied
    Originally posted by DarcHorse View Post
    Andey,
    The 1811 series are Criminal Investigators for the USMS. From what I've been told they carry their own case load and are usually the Deputy's that you see out making arrest or working on warrants. The 082 series are fresh out of the academy.
    From what I've also been told is you spend a year at each GS level progressing forward to your 11. Which through the FCIP program is possibly obtainable in 3-4 years depending on where they start you off at on the GS scale.
    There's a list of schools that participate in the co op program that one of the Deputy's posted. Just look throuigh the different region forums and you'll find it. Its pretty recent.

Hope some of that helps. There's a lot of useful info in the region forums it just takes some time to find it.

Darc

PS if I missed something or stated something wrong please anyone feel free to correct me
    Thanks for the info man.

Leave a comment:

• DarcHorse
    replied
    Andey,
    The 1811 series are Criminal Investigators for the USMS. From what I've been told they carry their own case load and are usually the Deputy's that you see out making arrest or working on warrants. The 082 series are fresh out of the academy.
    From what I've also been told is you spend a year at each GS level progressing forward to your 11. Which through the FCIP program is possibly obtainable in 3-4 years depending on where they start you off at on the GS scale.
    There's a list of schools that participate in the co op program that one of the Deputy's posted. Just look throuigh the different region forums and you'll find it. Its pretty recent.

Hope some of that helps. There's a lot of useful info in the region forums it just takes some time to find it.

Darc

PS if I missed something or stated something wrong please anyone feel free to correct me
    Last edited by DarcHorse; 07-20-2010, 05:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• AndeyHall
    replied
    Originally posted by jlac20 View Post
    I dont think you searched hard enough, because everything you just asked is on the USMS website. The difficulty of getting into the program, you would need to ask your department chair perhaps, but im pretty sure criminal justice majors have priority just as they did at my university where I attended. Availability pay is something you will not get in the co op program. Thats law enforcement availability pay, which is 25% more. As far as pay, go to the USMS forum, and current deputies on that forum could answer any questions you have better.
    A generalization for everything I asked is there, but not very much information at all. The locality pay scale does not include SC for some reason, so I'm guessing I go to the last pay scale area for the "Rest of the US". As for what you mentioned about criminal justice majors, that's what I find kinda strange and funny. The recruiter told me that Clemson is the only school in SC that has a co op program through USMS, however, Clemson is also the only major university in SC that does not have a Criminal Justice program. My availiblity pay question did not pertain to me being in the co op program....I pretty much assumed they would not be giving students government benefits.
    Originally posted by DLA View Post
    http://opm.gov/oca/10tables/indexGS.asp

use that as your guide for pay. if you graduate with your degree and have a 3.0 or better GPA you SHOULD start at gs-7. from there, you promote every year, gs-9, gs-11, gs-12. after gs-12 it just increases by step.
    Thanks for this info man. You wouldn't happen to have any info on how the grade and step system works do you. Like you start out as a gs-7, but what is the step on that? Basically I'm just wondering if you know how the promotions go in order up until gs-12.

Also, I noticed a lot of people on here use "gs-7" with the "gs", but on the USMS website they us "gl" like "gl-5" or "gl-7". Is there a difference?

And my last question...what exactly is an 1811?

Leave a comment:

• barrister
    replied
    Thanks. I thought so until I followed that link.

Leave a comment:

• jlac20
    replied
    Originally posted by barrister View Post
    Here's a dumb question- do you use the LEO base table for 1811's plus locality and LEAP or the basic GS scale plus plus?
    ICEAGENT beat me to it

Leave a comment:

• ICEAGENT
    replied
    Use the LEO base table for the applicable locality. Multiply by 1.25 to add the LEAP. You'll notice that the LEO and basic scales are the same once you reach GS-11.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6734 users online. 174 members and 6560 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X