Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Marshal General Info & Pay ?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • US Marshal General Info & Pay ?

    Hi, I'm going to be starting my sophmore year at Clemson University this fall and I am a Mechanical Engineering major. I was planning on trying to get in with Ford to design diesel engines now that they are designing them in-house now, however recently I felt a pull (or a calling, if you will, for those fellow church goers out there) towards law enforcement. No one in my family has ever been in law enforcement or the military for that matter (except for grandparents, but i think that's pretty much standard in anyone's family). The division I have been fascinated with most is the US Marshals. My first question is this...if I am planning on trying to get into a co-op with the US Marshals through Clemson (I've been told that Clemson is the only school in SC that does a co-op with USMS) then does anyone know exactly how hard that is to get in to? My second question regards pay. I talked to the SC recruiter and he mentioned something about "availability pay"...I tried looking it up but had no luck. Does anyone know what this is? I also read someone else's post that said that most Marshals should be able to get to a 12-1 paygrade within 7-8 years. If this is true, then that means that Marshals would almost double their salary in just 7-8 years. Does this sound correct? Any info you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Like I say, I've not been in a family that is involved at all in any type of law enforcement so please bare with me.

    I am however pretty good with forums, so yes, I did search to see if I could find all the information I've asked for...both on here and the USMS website and a few other places. I also talked to the SC recruiter and, although very nice, he was not very chatty or descriptive on the questions I asked him. So again, thank in advance for any info.

  • #2
    I dont think you searched hard enough, because everything you just asked is on the USMS website. The difficulty of getting into the program, you would need to ask your department chair perhaps, but im pretty sure criminal justice majors have priority just as they did at my university where I attended. Availability pay is something you will not get in the co op program. Thats law enforcement availability pay, which is 25% more. As far as pay, go to the USMS forum, and current deputies on that forum could answer any questions you have better.
    God Bless America

    101st Airborne Division, Rakassans Air Assaultttttttt
    3rd Infantry Division, 2BCT

    ICE 1811
    Applied: 6/22/09
    Exam: 7/24/2009
    SI/WA: 3/2/2010
    The Call: October 26, 2010
    PRESIDIO BOUND!!!!!!!!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      LEAP (Law Enforcement Availability Pay) as jlac pointed out adds 25% onto your basic pay. It essentially compensates you for the fact that you are on call 24/7 and work an average of 50 hours a week. It also covers all unscheduled OT. LEAP is paid to most criminal investigator/special agents in the G (DUSM's are 1811's after a couple years as an 082). You generally will not be paid OT as an 1811, unless it is scheduled two weeks in advance, which is rare.
      Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

      Comment


      • #4
        http://opm.gov/oca/10tables/indexGS.asp

        use that as your guide for pay. if you graduate with your degree and have a 3.0 or better GPA you SHOULD start at gs-7. from there, you promote every year, gs-9, gs-11, gs-12. after gs-12 it just increases by step.

        Comment


        • #5
          Here's a dumb question- do you use the LEO base table for 1811's plus locality and LEAP or the basic GS scale plus plus?

          Comment


          • #6
            Use the LEO base table for the applicable locality. Multiply by 1.25 to add the LEAP. You'll notice that the LEO and basic scales are the same once you reach GS-11.
            Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by barrister View Post
              Here's a dumb question- do you use the LEO base table for 1811's plus locality and LEAP or the basic GS scale plus plus?
              ICEAGENT beat me to it
              God Bless America

              101st Airborne Division, Rakassans Air Assaultttttttt
              3rd Infantry Division, 2BCT

              ICE 1811
              Applied: 6/22/09
              Exam: 7/24/2009
              SI/WA: 3/2/2010
              The Call: October 26, 2010
              PRESIDIO BOUND!!!!!!!!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks. I thought so until I followed that link.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jlac20 View Post
                  I dont think you searched hard enough, because everything you just asked is on the USMS website. The difficulty of getting into the program, you would need to ask your department chair perhaps, but im pretty sure criminal justice majors have priority just as they did at my university where I attended. Availability pay is something you will not get in the co op program. Thats law enforcement availability pay, which is 25% more. As far as pay, go to the USMS forum, and current deputies on that forum could answer any questions you have better.
                  A generalization for everything I asked is there, but not very much information at all. The locality pay scale does not include SC for some reason, so I'm guessing I go to the last pay scale area for the "Rest of the US". As for what you mentioned about criminal justice majors, that's what I find kinda strange and funny. The recruiter told me that Clemson is the only school in SC that has a co op program through USMS, however, Clemson is also the only major university in SC that does not have a Criminal Justice program. My availiblity pay question did not pertain to me being in the co op program....I pretty much assumed they would not be giving students government benefits.
                  Originally posted by DLA View Post
                  http://opm.gov/oca/10tables/indexGS.asp

                  use that as your guide for pay. if you graduate with your degree and have a 3.0 or better GPA you SHOULD start at gs-7. from there, you promote every year, gs-9, gs-11, gs-12. after gs-12 it just increases by step.
                  Thanks for this info man. You wouldn't happen to have any info on how the grade and step system works do you. Like you start out as a gs-7, but what is the step on that? Basically I'm just wondering if you know how the promotions go in order up until gs-12.

                  Also, I noticed a lot of people on here use "gs-7" with the "gs", but on the USMS website they us "gl" like "gl-5" or "gl-7". Is there a difference?

                  And my last question...what exactly is an 1811?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Andey,
                    The 1811 series are Criminal Investigators for the USMS. From what I've been told they carry their own case load and are usually the Deputy's that you see out making arrest or working on warrants. The 082 series are fresh out of the academy.
                    From what I've also been told is you spend a year at each GS level progressing forward to your 11. Which through the FCIP program is possibly obtainable in 3-4 years depending on where they start you off at on the GS scale.
                    There's a list of schools that participate in the co op program that one of the Deputy's posted. Just look throuigh the different region forums and you'll find it. Its pretty recent.

                    Hope some of that helps. There's a lot of useful info in the region forums it just takes some time to find it.

                    Darc

                    PS if I missed something or stated something wrong please anyone feel free to correct me
                    Last edited by DarcHorse; 07-20-2010, 04:47 PM.
                    "The merit of an action lies in finishing it to the end." Genghis Khan

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DarcHorse View Post
                      Andey,
                      The 1811 series are Criminal Investigators for the USMS. From what I've been told they carry their own case load and are usually the Deputy's that you see out making arrest or working on warrants. The 082 series are fresh out of the academy.
                      From what I've also been told is you spend a year at each GS level progressing forward to your 11. Which through the FCIP program is possibly obtainable in 3-4 years depending on where they start you off at on the GS scale.
                      There's a list of schools that participate in the co op program that one of the Deputy's posted. Just look throuigh the different region forums and you'll find it. Its pretty recent.

                      Hope some of that helps. There's a lot of useful info in the region forums it just takes some time to find it.

                      Darc

                      PS if I missed something or stated something wrong please anyone feel free to correct me
                      Thanks for the info man.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Does anyone know what the USMS thinks of online degrees or if they even accept them? I am thinking of doing online schooling but would like some input on this first

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by berman01 View Post
                          Does anyone know what the USMS thinks of online degrees or if they even accept them? I am thinking of doing online schooling but would like some input on this first
                          Now I really don't know much about it at all, however, I got on google and searched for USMS recommended schools and everything it brought up was for online degrees. All the schools that had a criminal justice program directly affiliated with the USMS was online, so I would think they would. Give your state recruiter a call though.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jlac20 View Post
                            I dont think you searched hard enough, because everything you just asked is on the USMS website. The difficulty of getting into the program, you would need to ask your department chair perhaps, but im pretty sure criminal justice majors have priority just as they did at my university where I attended. Availability pay is something you will not get in the co op program. Thats law enforcement availability pay, which is 25% more. As far as pay, go to the USMS forum, and current deputies on that forum could answer any questions you have better.
                            Also, another thing I thought of jlac, when I talked to the SC recruiter, he told me that he would recommend me not change my major from Mechanical Engineering to somethig like criminal justice. He said the reason being was because that was why they came up with the Work Intern Program (as apposed to the one for college students). He said it was to start getting employees from a broader range of employment backgrounds. His recommendation was that instead, I do something to get some raw experience. I just decided to keep my major and as soon as I turn 21 in a few months, I'm going to join the Deputy Reserves at my sheriffs dept. I don't have time to get a full time job with it with school and all so that was my only option for part time.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Received my degree online and it doesn't seem to bother them. Of course I was already hired and working when I finished. But I wouldn't see why it would be an issue as long as it is from an accredited school.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 7905 users online. 380 members and 7525 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X