300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1811 OIG Panel Interview Tips

I have an 1811 OIG panel interview next week and I want to impress. Any suggestions aside from "wear a suit" and "don't screw up?" Interviewer said there will be some hypotheticals and a writing sample. What should I expect from those? Thanks.

Expect the hypotheticals to be hypothetical situations for you to state what you'd do, and the writing sample to be a written sample on a given topic. That should be common sense, and without knowing what agency you're interviewing with and what their interview consists of, it's not very likely anyone can be much more specific.

When they ask you a question, speak from whatever experience/background you have. Be honest (give them the real answer, not what you think they want to hear, as criminal investigators are trained to sniff out deception).

Other than that, wear a suit and don't screw up!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jb2323 View Post
      I have an 1811 OIG panel interview next week and I want to impress. Any suggestions aside from "wear a suit" and "don't screw up?" Interviewer said there will be some hypotheticals and a writing sample. What should I expect from those? Thanks.
      Aside from that....I would know the agency inside and out.... Not only the IG portion but the specific agency as well. Such as if you are going to interview for USDA, know the USDA mission as well....because that's who you will be doing the IG with.....

Good luck...

Comment

Are you headed to Chicago for the interview?

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
          Aside from that....I would know the agency inside and out.... Not only the IG portion but the specific agency as well. Such as if you are going to interview for USDA, know the USDA mission as well....because that's who you will be doing the IG with.....

Good luck...
          Real good advice. I would review their last couple of semi-annual reports to Congress (from their website) to see what they've been doing.

Also, the top of many OIG's are former Secret Service heavy. They like candidates who "have the look." Dress conservatively (navy or dark charcoal suit, white shirt and no loud ties), hair short and very well combed, shoes shined and feet square on the floor with no toe tapping or other nervous leg or hand movements. Act confident and knowledgeable, but not cocky. In other words, have a Secret Service type look. Most OIG's like that.
          They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
            Real good advice. I would review their last couple of semi-annual reports to Congress (from their website) to see what they've been doing.
            I had one of my idiot buddies get an interview with an USDA-OIG and had no clue what USDA did....at all......

At least he listened to me.... He got online and studied all that he could....because low and behold, he got pinged with questions about what USDA does for a living.....and how that might interact with what he will be doing if hired as a SA.....

He said if he had half-assed it...he would have been done for.

Comment

Thanks all. I'm currently in law so attire and presentation is not going to be an issue (then again, I have seen some pretty unkempt lawyers stroll into court). Just trying to find out what kind of questions they are going to field. Been doing my homework, especially about the agency, so I think/hope I'll be ready. We'll see...

Comment

Originally posted by jb2323 View Post
                I'm currently in law
                Then you should have absolutely no problem with the writing sample. In many OIG's, you're given a couple of documents and then you have to concisely summarize them.
                They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

Hi

You can see same topic at the side bar of this site. You can find out some thing same your questions.

I sent some good materials to Tommy, pls read mail and give feedback.
                  Apart from that, this link below may be useful: Interview tips
                  Rgs
                  Last edited by anbetophillip; 08-06-2010, 04:01 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5812 users online. 217 members and 5595 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X