X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DARE_SUPPORTER
    started a topic OPM- Background Investigator

OPM- Background Investigator

I understand its not LE, but anyone have any info on it.

Good Gig or not?

http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.as...9+05%3a44%3a00

Starting GS-7 promotion potential 12....They have more than one location.
    Last edited by DARE_SUPPORTER; 07-10-2010, 05:38 PM.

• tk90
    replied
    you can email them for your NOR score to see where you are at.
    I score 98 on most my apps for this position and still get eligible not selected.

my guess is that they are picking up mainly USIS, CACI contractors. Makes sense, they're already trained and opm can actually track their previous quality and work production.

Leave a comment:

• kc12
    replied
    Originally posted by Agent555 View Post
    Based on the NOR, OPM appears to only look at the application questions to rate an applicant. The resume, etc. are not reviewed. They may not be choosing the best applicants, since many of the questions seem to be irrelevant, and there are several pertinent questions that are not asked.
    This appears to be happening across the board. I have applied to more than my share of federal positions and typically a referred/non-referred was entered into the system two or three weeks after the closing date. My wife has started applying for jobs with the fed (not the OPM BI jobs) and has been referred/not referred within a day or two of the closing of the announcement. This kind of makes sense, if the application questions are relevant. Give X number of points for each answer, apply vets preference, then refer everyone who is above a certain score. The hiring manager then looks at the application and compares it to the attached resume of the top 3-5 applicants. Any application that is not supported by the resume has their score adjusted appropriately then interviews (if done) are scheduled.

Leave a comment:

• Agent555
    replied
    Based on the NOR, OPM appears to only look at the application questions to rate an applicant. The resume, etc. are not reviewed. They may not be choosing the best applicants, since many of the questions seem to be irrelevant, and there are several pertinent questions that are not asked.

Leave a comment:

• tom324
    replied
    After applying off & on for over 1 year, I finally starting seeing NORs with "ERO - You have been referred to the selecting official. You will be contacted by the selecting official if an interview is desired." As a 21yr+ LEO with extensive investigative experience, I am at a loss to explain OPM's thought process. I changed nothing in my application but now I am ERO instead of EL. I sit by the phone every day just waiting for the OPM folks to call me in for an interview (:

In the meantime, apps submitted for 181x (exempted slots for old gun-toters too), 180x, 008x & 013x

Leave a comment:

• Johnnylawman38
    replied
    Originally posted by K9_Rex View Post
    Has anybody that applied for the announcements been contacted or heard anything? Just curious...earlier post mentioned 2-3 month process.
    I wasnt contacted personally but I had NORs in my application manager.....basically said I qualified but wasnt selected by the hiring official or something like that.

Leave a comment:

• K9_Rex
    replied
    Has anybody that applied for the announcements been contacted or heard anything? Just curious...earlier post mentioned 2-3 month process.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by dajob View Post
    I had several cards and they told me to give them a hollor if I want more info . I probably tossed them but if I find them I will pm you.
    thebonekracker works for them with a buddy of mine.... So, ask away......

Leave a comment:

• dajob
    replied
    It is not an LEO job at all which I realize you understand. However I have talked to several OPM guys and they love it. They have told me to apply . I had several cards and they told me to give them a hollor if I want more info . I probably tossed them but if I find them I will pm you.
    Basically in my area they set out sometimes for two to three days on the road . Per diem of course. Very low key easy going . Decent money,Fed benis . Regular hours pretty much.

Leave a comment:

• mbmx13
    replied
    Originally posted by kc12 View Post
    I wasn't referring to contract investigators. I was referring to investigators employed by the contract companies.
    Roger That! Will insert foot into mouth. I forgot about those positions! Have a great week!

Leave a comment:

• kc12
    replied
    Originally posted by mbmx13 View Post
    While it is true that some contract investigators are waiting for OPM GS-12 positions, not all of them are. There is alot to be said for running your own business. It can be a difference between making $20-$25 per hour or $35-$40 per hour plus mileage. You pretty much work your own hours kind of like OPM but you get more time off and it really depends what is more important, time off or making money?
    I wasn't referring to contract investigators. I was referring to investigators employed by the contract companies.

Leave a comment:

• mbmx13
    replied
    Originally posted by kc12 View Post
    All of life is graded on a curve. You might have been over qualified, but as the Squirrel said others were probably more over qualified. This could be caused by one or two or both things. Many of the contractor investigators only make in the 40k range. Obviously many of those people are just biding their time until a federal opening comes up. It's the exact same work, work environment, and computer systems, just a lot better pay. If a preference eligible vet applies and they are qualified, then they go to the top of the list. From what I've heard, these slots are about as competitive as 1811 slots.
    While it is true that some contract investigators are waiting for OPM GS-12 positions, not all of them are. There is alot to be said for running your own business. It can be a difference between making $20-$25 per hour or $35-$40 per hour plus mileage. You pretty much work your own hours kind of like OPM but you get more time off and it really depends what is more important, time off or making money?

I own my own investigative business and the thing I love the most is being able to take off for a few days during the week while subcontracting my cases out to other licensed investigators. Just last week, I spent a few days in Las Vegas to see some shows, hit the gym and swim in the 3 1/2 foot deep swimming pools that are all to common in that area while other people were taking care of my cases back in Cali. I am getting ready to head to Magic Mountain this week and then up to the Central Coast for a week of vacation. It all depends on what is more important to you, those of us with families are looking for time off while those that are younger and/or single are looking to make lots of money and overtime pay. Although, I have to admit, TDY does sound pretty tempting as I love to travel and would like to put some stamps on my passport.

Leave a comment:

• Johnnylawman38
    replied
    Thanks for the responses......I guess I thought I would at least get an interview. Funny how one can be in the hiring process for an 1811 slot and not even get a sniff for a background investigator, lol.

Leave a comment:

• kc12
    replied
    All of life is graded on a curve. You might have been over qualified, but as the Squirrel said others were probably more over qualified. This could be caused by one or two or both things. Many of the contractor investigators only make in the 40k range. Obviously many of those people are just biding their time until a federal opening comes up. It's the exact same work, work environment, and computer systems, just a lot better pay. If a preference eligible vet applies and they are qualified, then they go to the top of the list. From what I've heard, these slots are about as competitive as 1811 slots.

Leave a comment:

• Squirrel
    replied
    The way I understand "EL" rating is, basically, "you are qualified, but not highly enough qualified to be referred to the selecting official at this time."

If the people in the initial referral list decline, or they need to fill more vacancies, they may be able to do so off of that eligible list. So, potentially, until your "EL" rating expires, you could wind up getting a call -- but it's a slim chance. I think I've only once applied to a job, been "not referred," and then been told, "they asked for more and we referred you."

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10868 users online. 459 members and 10409 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X