Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know what the hiring process is like? Sorry if this has already been covered, I didn't see it. Thanks!

Comment

The OPM BI position goes to a GS12 as a field investigator. SACs are GS13. I'm fairly certain the training staff (made up of field investigators) are also GS13 though they work permanently at our training center unless they're traveling around conducting training at the field offices. The majority of positions that are not field positions are in the Boyers, PA and Ft Meade, MD areas.

Hiring process: Apply on USAJobs. Do your personal interview (mine was with the SAC at the time, though one person told me their interview was with the SAC and two senior agents). Notified by phone that I had the position and was offered a choice of two start dates. Did six weeks mentoring in the field by shadowing a senior agent, three week academy, and then unleashed on the world to sink or swim. That last part is up to your SAC and based on their perception, input from the mentor, and the report back from the academy. Some people return from the academy and continue to work with a mentor for a short period.

From application to start was 2-3 months total for me. Is that what you're looking for?

Comment

I'm already in LE and not sure I want to give that up.

Comment

Originally posted by thebonekracker View Post
          The OPM BI position goes to a GS12 as a field investigator. SACs are GS13. I'm fairly certain the training staff (made up of field investigators) are also GS13 though they work permanently at our training center unless they're traveling around conducting training at the field offices. The majority of positions that are not field positions are in the Boyers, PA and Ft Meade, MD areas.

Hiring process: Apply on USAJobs. Do your personal interview (mine was with the SAC at the time, though one person told me their interview was with the SAC and two senior agents). Notified by phone that I had the position and was offered a choice of two start dates. Did six weeks mentoring in the field by shadowing a senior agent, three week academy, and then unleashed on the world to sink or swim. That last part is up to your SAC and based on their perception, input from the mentor, and the report back from the academy. Some people return from the academy and continue to work with a mentor for a short period.

From application to start was 2-3 months total for me. Is that what you're looking for?
          PM sent...
          ICE SA

Test: July 2009
          NOR: Sept 2009
          Interview: Nov 2009
          NOR: Dec 30, 2010
          TO: Jan 3, 2011
          Medical: Jan 14, 2011
          Drug Screen: Jan 26, 2011
          Cleared all Pre-Employment Checks Feb 23, 2011
          Met with BI: March 9, 2011
          BI Complete: April 26, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by thebonekracker View Post

Sounds good..........Thanks!

Comment

I checked application manager and it stated that I have been sent NORs for all the vacancies I have applied for. I havent gotten anything in the mail yet, but the NORs are dated back a few weeks. Anyways this is what my NOR stated:

I received a rating of "EL". The NOR states I didnt score high enough to be certified to the selecting official, however at the bottom of the NOR it states an "EL" rating you are eligible for this specialty and grade?

Am I still in the hiring process for these positions or not? I don't understand some of these NOR and what they mean. If I am not still in the process I would be curious to know what exactly they are looking for. I met all the basic criteria and then some. I thought if anything I was over qualified. Anyone else get anything back? Comments?
              ICE SA

Comment

The way I understand "EL" rating is, basically, "you are qualified, but not highly enough qualified to be referred to the selecting official at this time."

If the people in the initial referral list decline, or they need to fill more vacancies, they may be able to do so off of that eligible list. So, potentially, until your "EL" rating expires, you could wind up getting a call -- but it's a slim chance. I think I've only once applied to a job, been "not referred," and then been told, "they asked for more and we referred you."

Comment

All of life is graded on a curve. You might have been over qualified, but as the Squirrel said others were probably more over qualified. This could be caused by one or two or both things. Many of the contractor investigators only make in the 40k range. Obviously many of those people are just biding their time until a federal opening comes up. It's the exact same work, work environment, and computer systems, just a lot better pay. If a preference eligible vet applies and they are qualified, then they go to the top of the list. From what I've heard, these slots are about as competitive as 1811 slots.
                  But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Thanks for the responses......I guess I thought I would at least get an interview. Funny how one can be in the hiring process for an 1811 slot and not even get a sniff for a background investigator, lol.
                    ICE SA

Comment

Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                      All of life is graded on a curve. You might have been over qualified, but as the Squirrel said others were probably more over qualified. This could be caused by one or two or both things. Many of the contractor investigators only make in the 40k range. Obviously many of those people are just biding their time until a federal opening comes up. It's the exact same work, work environment, and computer systems, just a lot better pay. If a preference eligible vet applies and they are qualified, then they go to the top of the list. From what I've heard, these slots are about as competitive as 1811 slots.
                      While it is true that some contract investigators are waiting for OPM GS-12 positions, not all of them are. There is alot to be said for running your own business. It can be a difference between making $20-$25 per hour or $35-$40 per hour plus mileage. You pretty much work your own hours kind of like OPM but you get more time off and it really depends what is more important, time off or making money?

I own my own investigative business and the thing I love the most is being able to take off for a few days during the week while subcontracting my cases out to other licensed investigators. Just last week, I spent a few days in Las Vegas to see some shows, hit the gym and swim in the 3 1/2 foot deep swimming pools that are all to common in that area while other people were taking care of my cases back in Cali. I am getting ready to head to Magic Mountain this week and then up to the Central Coast for a week of vacation. It all depends on what is more important to you, those of us with families are looking for time off while those that are younger and/or single are looking to make lots of money and overtime pay. Although, I have to admit, TDY does sound pretty tempting as I love to travel and would like to put some stamps on my passport.
                      Former Sgt/USMC
                      Former Police Officer
                      Current Private Investigator

----------------------------------
                      US Capitol Police
                      Applied: 8/2010
                      Offer: 8/2010
                      BI: 8/2010
                      POST Test: ?

Comment

Originally posted by mbmx13 View Post
                        While it is true that some contract investigators are waiting for OPM GS-12 positions, not all of them are. There is alot to be said for running your own business. It can be a difference between making $20-$25 per hour or $35-$40 per hour plus mileage. You pretty much work your own hours kind of like OPM but you get more time off and it really depends what is more important, time off or making money?
                        I wasn't referring to contract investigators. I was referring to investigators employed by the contract companies.
                        But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                          I wasn't referring to contract investigators. I was referring to investigators employed by the contract companies.
                          Roger That! Will insert foot into mouth. I forgot about those positions! Have a great week!
                          Former Sgt/USMC
                          Former Police Officer
                          Current Private Investigator

----------------------------------
                          US Capitol Police
                          Applied: 8/2010
                          Offer: 8/2010
                          BI: 8/2010
                          POST Test: ?

Comment

It is not an LEO job at all which I realize you understand. However I have talked to several OPM guys and they love it. They have told me to apply . I had several cards and they told me to give them a hollor if I want more info . I probably tossed them but if I find them I will pm you.
                            Basically in my area they set out sometimes for two to three days on the road . Per diem of course. Very low key easy going . Decent money,Fed benis . Regular hours pretty much.

Comment

Originally posted by dajob View Post
                              I had several cards and they told me to give them a hollor if I want more info . I probably tossed them but if I find them I will pm you.
                              thebonekracker works for them with a buddy of mine.... So, ask away......

Comment

Has anybody that applied for the announcements been contacted or heard anything? Just curious...earlier post mentioned 2-3 month process.
                                “It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.”
                                ~Harry S Truman

RIP Brothers

http://www.odmp.org/officer/16897-po...rick-pocceschi

http://www.odmp.org/officer/19503-de...smith-phillips

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9556 users online. 438 members and 9118 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X