300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DARE_SUPPORTER View Post
    I have read through everything, Is this a stable job?
    My buddy works with thebonekracker... He loves it...... They always have case work to do and there is TDY out there if one wants it..... Plus, GOV ride and all the home office stuff you need to do the job is provided.....

I'd do it if I could find something close to my current GS Grade.....and if was out here....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
      My buddy works with thebonekracker... He loves it...... They always have case work to do and there is TDY out there if one wants it..... Plus, GOV ride and all the home office stuff you need to do the job is provided.....

I'd do it if I could find something close to my current GS Grade.....and if was out here....
      What is TDY?
      ICE SA

Test: July 2009
      NOR: Sept 2009
      Interview: Nov 2009
      NOR: Dec 30, 2010
      TO: Jan 3, 2011
      Medical: Jan 14, 2011
      Drug Screen: Jan 26, 2011
      Cleared all Pre-Employment Checks Feb 23, 2011
      Met with BI: March 9, 2011
      BI Complete: April 26, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnylawman38 View Post
        What is TDY?
        Tempory Duty Assignment...

As stated, Investigators have the chance to go Abroad to do Investigations. My buddy just got back from 45 days or so from Spain....

Comment

It's as stable as any federal position. The federal government does RIF (reduction in force) people as needed, though this is rare. In the case of the privatization of background investigations in the 90s, there was just nowhere to put thousands of people that were being displaced so the majority ended up transferring over to the civilian positions with USIS. If you are ever RIFd, you have priority on applying to other federal positions that open up, or may be eligible to transfer to another location to stay in your same job. I have met with several people over the years that have been RIFd. Almost all of them were given an opportunity to accept another position or transfer, though they chose not to (not the position they wanted or they just didn't want to move). They also had advance warning of 6-18 months that the RIF was going to occur.

Background investigations will have to be conducted regardless of whether OPM does them or not. If there is a big switch in what agency does these investigations then I would expect most federal employees will be given the opportunity to apply and transfer into the new position. When DSS stopped conducting the military investigations, their 1600 field agents were pulled into OPM. I'd say it's a pretty stable position.

Comment

TDY is done both CONUS and OCONUS (Continenantal U.S. and Outside Continental U.S.). CONUS TDY can be forced on you, but in my office that is generally not the case as we have agents that regularly will volunteer. One agent that has been in my office for five years just did her first TDY this year. These CONUS TDYs usually run 2-3 weeks, and during this time you're expected to work a minimum number of OT hours each week. OPM figures if they're paying to put you in a hotel and pay you per diem then they need you to be productive. OCONUS has been strictly on a volunteer basis at this point. Since these are overseas and cost OPM a lot more money (higher per diems, rental cars, etc) and take extra coordination, the minimum OT hours per week is slightly higher and the minimum TDY is six weeks. You can generally stay longer if you'd like, and sometimes travel across multiple countries. Some agents travel to Europe and work, then take a week or two of leave and have their spouse join them at the end of the TDY. They turn it into a vacation and you just saved yourself the cost of flying one person round-trip to Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by thebonekracker View Post
              TDY is done both CONUS and OCONUS (Continenantal U.S. and Outside Continental U.S.). CONUS TDY can be forced on you, but in my office that is generally not the case as we have agents that regularly will volunteer. One agent that has been in my office for five years just did her first TDY this year. These CONUS TDYs usually run 2-3 weeks, and during this time you're expected to work a minimum number of OT hours each week. OPM figures if they're paying to put you in a hotel and pay you per diem then they need you to be productive. OCONUS has been strictly on a volunteer basis at this point. Since these are overseas and cost OPM a lot more money (higher per diems, rental cars, etc) and take extra coordination, the minimum OT hours per week is slightly higher and the minimum TDY is six weeks. You can generally stay longer if you'd like, and sometimes travel across multiple countries. Some agents travel to Europe and work, then take a week or two of leave and have their spouse join them at the end of the TDY. They turn it into a vacation and you just saved yourself the cost of flying one person round-trip to Europe.
              Bonekracker.....PM sent to you
              ICE SA

Comment

When I was an army officer in Europe I spoke with a few OPM Background Investigators and they absolutely loved their job. I never met one that spoke bad about the gig. They stated that you have alot of independence, you are treated like an adult, good pay, and as the above posts indicate opportunities to travel and see cool places if that is something that you want to do.

Comment

Im tempted, just not sure if I wanna leave LE yet.

Comment

Is there any chance this could this be a stepping stone into an 1811 gig?

Comment

Others have used it as a stepping stone. If you aren't already in a LE position then you'll be learning investigative skills and how to write well, deal with a variety of people everyday, work independently, etc. I can't see how it would hurt you. I just actually got the call today for the fouth interview this year for an 1811 position today. Crap thing is that I've been out of the country for the first three (talk about bad **** poor timing on my part).

Comment

I have worked for OPM for the past four years and I just hired by the USMS and I'm reporting to fletc in a couple of weeks. One of my coworkers was hired by the FBI about a year ago. As bonekracker mentioned, there are opportunities to get into other projects asides from just working on background investigations, like going tdy overseas, going on detail to our counter intelligence office, suitaibility branch, or working on investigator recovery projects (fraud by investigators). The experience you'll get doing background investigations along with participating in different projects can only help you in the long run.

Comment

With OPM in this BI position, what are the room for advancement?

Comment

Originally posted by thebonekracker View Post
                            Others have used it as a stepping stone. If you aren't already in a LE position then you'll be learning investigative skills and how to write well, deal with a variety of people everyday, work independently, etc. I can't see how it would hurt you. I just actually got the call today for the fouth interview this year for an 1811 position today. Crap thing is that I've been out of the country for the first three (talk about bad **** poor timing on my part).
                            bonekracker....what office do you work out of? Are you going to take the 1811 gig? Just curious.......
                            ICE SA

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnylawman38 View Post
                              bonekracker....what office do you work out of?
                              I'd PM him and ask that info....I doubt he will put it over the open 'net. Some agencies are very particular about their folks posting stuff.... Just look at how FAMS are treating their folks.....

Comment

Originally posted by DARE_SUPPORTER View Post
                                With OPM in this BI position, what are the room for advancement?
                                Anyone know the room for advancement with OPM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5100 users online. 215 members and 4885 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X