300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPM- Background Investigator

I understand its not LE, but anyone have any info on it.

Good Gig or not?

http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.as...9+05%3a44%3a00

Starting GS-7 promotion potential 12....They have more than one location.
    Last edited by DARE_SUPPORTER; 07-10-2010, 05:38 PM.

A. We've got one floating around here that works with my buddy back in the Midwest.....

B. Buddy works for them. You work out of your home. They supply you computer, printer, blackberry, a G-Ride, and other tools needed to do the job....

C. Lots of opportunity to go TDY overseas. He's been to Spain (just got back), England, and Germany thus far....

D. He loves the job. His background is City LEO for 5 years and worked on a Drug Task Force for a while.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
      A. We've got one floating around here that works with my buddy back in the Midwest.....

B. Buddy works for them. You work out of your home. They supply you computer, printer, blackberry, a G-Ride, and other tools needed to do the job....

C. Lots of opportunity to go TDY overseas. He's been to Spain (just got back), England, and Germany thus far....

D. He loves the job. His background is City LEO for 5 years and worked on a Drug Task Force for a while.....

Bearcat, good deal hoping you would chime in, your info is always good...appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by DARE_SUPPORTER View Post
        Bearcat, good deal hoping you would chime in, your info is always good...appreciate it.
        If they posted a job out here, I'd think about applying.... just depending on what Grade they offer..... Seems like a good gig from what my buddy has says. He goes into the office like once a week or so. He has said as long as you get your stuff done on time....no one will be on your ***.....

Comment

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...286&highlight=

I know we've discussed it several times so there's probably at least 2-3 threads that I know of on this board. If you have any specific questions after reading through the old posts, feel free to ask.

-bone

Comment

So with promotion potential to GS-12, if Im reading the payscales right below, they make about 60K at GS-12 step 1?

http://www.opm.gov/oca/10tables/pdf/gs.pdf
            ICE SA

Test: July 2009
            NOR: Sept 2009
            Interview: Nov 2009
            NOR: Dec 30, 2010
            TO: Jan 3, 2011
            Medical: Jan 14, 2011
            Drug Screen: Jan 26, 2011
            Cleared all Pre-Employment Checks Feb 23, 2011
            Met with BI: March 9, 2011
            BI Complete: April 26, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnylawman38 View Post
              So with promotion potential to GS-12, if Im reading the payscales right below, they make about 60K at GS-12 step 1?

http://www.opm.gov/oca/10tables/pdf/gs.pdf
              Yes....but you also have to toss in locality pay based on where you are at and if it's offered.......

Comment

For the low cost areas (Rest of the US locality) they make about $68k. If my current job didn't have 12(d) retirement and GS-12's soon I'd be all over that BI job. I left the job at a contract company doing BI's for my current one. The only reasons I left was for better pay and benefits and the location. If my current agency wanted me to move, I wouldn't have given the BI job up, even for the better pay and benefits. To tell you how bad the pay was at my old job. A buddy of mine was making $54k per year at that company. He was a senior investigator and had been with the company for 8 years. Heck I made more than that my second year at my current job and more than doubled my pay in three years. Even knowing that, I would have stayed a BI at that company (until the federal job opened), because the job was so good. We had a lot of interaction with the federal BI's since we all had to collect the same information we all went to the same locations. They had it as good as we did. They just got paid a lot more. I never missed family events. I worked a four day work week. I didn't pay for gas, maintenance, or insurance on one car. Even when I was at work, it didn't feel like work, since it was out of my house. I got lucky. I left a great job for a good job.
                Last edited by kc12; 07-11-2010, 06:28 AM.
                But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

For what it's worth, I think it's a great job. If I was younger and straight out of college, I'd probably rather have an 1811 position or something kicking in doors. Now that I'm older and have a family, flexibility and control of my time is more important. My base salary is about $70K a year. Throw in an extra $5-10K a year in overtime, and an additional $10K a year if I decided to travel overseas that year. I have an old personal car that sits in the garage most of the time because I'm either driving the gov or doing things with the family in the family car (saves a ton on gas and cars when you really don't need anything else). If my wife works late then it's usually no big deal for me to be home to get the kids off the bus or make some other daytime appointment. Sometimes I forget the names of other investigators in my office because we only see each other briefly for meetings 6-12 times per year (lol). No job is perfect, but I see this as pretty close. It would only be better if they'd give us GS13 and LEAP as field agents - which neither is going to happen.

I may not get rich, but I make enough to make ends meet. I've had my nights, weekends, and vacation plans ruined because of work on protective details in the past and it sucked. I have a friend that is a FAM, and another that is an 1811. They both make a lot better money, but they both have had to relocate and travel extensively. It comes down to what works best for you.

Comment

thebonekracker, can you clarify the following: I recently heard OPM was stripped by Congress of their investigative powers back in 1996, thus the need for agencies like USIS and Keypoint (?) to fill the gaps, but that OPM is getting back their investigative powers. What's the deal there?

Also, I applied for some of the single vacancy positions and got rejection letters, but recently applied for the mass hiring one and got an email saying that I am eligible. Does that mean anything positive?
                    Those who are successful at what they do don't give a rip about what others think about them.

We don't rent pigs.

Comment

I wasn't arround in 1996 so can't give you any firshand knowledge, but it's my understanding that the investigative powers were not "stripped," yet the background investigation process was privatized by the Clinton administration (along with a lot of other government functions) in an effort to save money. OPM continued to oversee the background investigation process with a small federal staff, though the majority of the work was conducted by employees of USIS under contract with OPM. BTW, the majority of USIS employees were federal staff that became USIS employees as part of the coordination of this privatization. The "new" employees of USIS were given an Employee Stock Ownership Plan as part of an incentive since they would be giving up their federal retirement benefits in this transfer. In 2005, OPM took over DOD's personnel security investigations program and absorbed most of the Defense Security Service's staff. I don't recall all the dates for sure (though Google is you friend if you're interested), but from 2005 to present OPM has been conducting over 90% of federal background investigations.

Being found eligible means you might get looked at, but there are no guarantees you'll be referred to the hiring official or be selected. I'd forget you applied and continue to look at other positions you might be interested in. One day, you'll either get a call for an interview, or notification that you were not selected. To be honest though, I wasn't even aware that there was a mass hiring announced. What were the details on that?

Comment

Originally posted by thebonekracker View Post
                        I wasn't even aware that there was a mass hiring announced.
                        No real mass hiring unless I am really missing something on USAJOBs. Just about 9 openings around the US now. A few more than normal....

Comment

Maybe "mass hiring" was not the correct term, but it was one where you applied once and selected locations you would consider. I'm pretty sure it was an OPM position.

Does any of this help?

Series - Position Title: 1810 - General Investigator

Vacancy ID Number: 335170

Announcement Number: WA335170-TRD
                          Those who are successful at what they do don't give a rip about what others think about them.

We don't rent pigs.

Comment

Oops! That position was with EEOC...sorry about the confusion.

We don't rent pigs.

Comment

I have read through everything, Is this a stable job?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5945 users online. 222 members and 5723 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X