Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I be hited by County for Corrections Position? Seeking advice

Edited Too much info
    Last edited by Viper85; 08-05-2010, 10:34 PM.

Originally posted by Viper85 View Post
    hello brothers,

Over 3 years ago I applied to a very big Police Department, I passed everything but was put on review for psych and was sent a letter a year later stating I had failed. I had put on the written that I had seen a psych when I was 17, which I didn't believe was an issue, I believe that may have been why I was disqualified. I really feel like I got a raw deal that time around, but thats in the passed and I am looking foward.. Now I have just passed a psychical agility for a Corrections Department. I am really praying everything goes right. There are lots of guys retiring soon and not many persons passed the agility test. (only 9, they are looking to hire 5 right now and 4 more at the end of year supposedely)What do you guys think my chances are at getting hired: Here are some of my good point and bad points of my past

Bad:
    Three Prior Arrests- 18 Years old- Shoplifting- Convicted of disorderly Conduct.
    20 years old- Disorderly Conduct- Result was ACD
    23 Years old- Disorderly Conduct- Resisting Arrest (which I was not in the wrong for at all, I was trying to break up a fight)
    Prior Disqualification from Police Department.
    Since I was 15 also Ive had over 10 jobs (25 now). however many of these were temp positions (summer jobs) when I was home from college, I have never been fired once in my life. Or written up. Will they understand that?

Good Points:
    I am currently employed as a Private Investigator. I also have years experience in Security and bouncing.
    I have never used drugs before.
    I am a born again christian, I found myself a year ago, and since my life has been wonderful (Should I even tell them this at the interview)
    I have over 10 Police Officers who will vouch for me as references.

Also for my shoplifting arrest, I take responsibility for, I will not sugar coat it, what I did was wrong but that is behind me. the Disorderly conduct's I was collared for are a different story, the 1st one I was left a bar for some pizza, and they wouldnt let me in because I didnt have a stamp (my jacket with my keys was in the coat room, so I insisted on being let back in, and was collared), and the other discon there was an altercation with a guy I knew whom was using my cell phone, I saw the cops had taken him down to the ground, and my phone was broken on the floor, I was told to leave and just requested that I could get my phone together and be on my way. Then was collared for Dis-Con and resisting.

Please give me some advice guys, I have also been told by some in LE, that I should neglect to tell them I was ever DQ'ed from a Police department in the past. I think it was my honesty about seeing a shrink and not the arrest that got me DQed the last time (when I was 21). As my background inv. told me everything was fine with my background last time I applied, but I failed the psych. Any of your advice on what to say during interview would be greatly appreciated. I would really be estatic to get this job, almost all of my family is in Law Enforcement, I have mad some mistakes, But I am a good, honest person. I look foward to hearing from you brothers
    So you have been arrested 3 times?
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Yes. Technically only twice as Discon by itself isnt an arrest but a citation.

Comment

I have never been convicted of any crime's however, Only disorderly conduct.

Comment

Bro, I can appreciate that people change and mature, and also that sometimes overzealous police can go on a power trip and arrest someone for disorderly or resisting just because they were in the way... however.. shoplifting? and more than one arrest for getting in the way? It can happen to anyone once, but if it happens twice it shows that you might have a temper problem, or problem with authority. Not enough time has passed either between those incidents and now for you to become a police officer. I know police officers with similar backgrounds, but they were circa 16 when they messed up and hired 10-15 years later after they matured, started a fam, etc..

Your best bet is to try for corrections departments etc for now, prove yourself, never get in trouble again, and lose the temper (its not worth getting in a police officers way if your phone broke... you might go to jail).

You could get hired by a police force down the road.. Everyone makes mistakes.. Good luck / stay outta trouble.

Comment

I would say that even in the field of corrections, you don't have much of a chance. Your psych issues are nothing compared to that arrest history.

Let me ask you a quick question. Are you applying to work at the same jail where you served time after being arrested?
            What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

I have never been convicted of any crime's however, Only disorderly conduct.
              That doesn't make any sense.
              What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

I have never spent any time in jail. Only a few hours in lock up. FormerUSS- I am applying for Corrections, as I know Police is slim to none at this point in time, and if I do get hired, I could not just bail out on the people that have given me a great opportunity and second chance, because something better came along.
                Also, Disorderly conduct is the only thing I have ever been convicted of, Which is not a crime, It is a violation. Anyone besides Law Enforcement runs my record I am clean as a whistle.

Comment

I have never spent any time in jail. Only a few hours in lock up. FormerUSS- I am applying for Corrections, as I know Police is slim to none at this point in time, and if I do get hired, I could not just bail out on the people that have given me a great opportunity and second chance, because something better came along.
                  Also, Disorderly conduct is the only thing I have ever been convicted of, Which is not a crime, It is a violation. Anyone besides Law Enforcement runs my record I am clean as a whistle.
                  First off it's "hired" not "hited". Spelling bad will not get you very far.

Who told you that Disorderly Conduct is not a crime? You were arrested for it? It's a crime. Anything you are arrested for it a crime. A violation can be a parking ticket, did you get a parking ticket? You mentioned the being convicted of Disorderly conduct, guess what? That's a crime. You don't get convicted of getting a parking ticket! You have 3 arrests in your background, that will not get you hired anywhere. Just the resisting arrest alone will get you DQ.

Stop using the word collar. You are not a cop. You may a "private investigator", which is not even close to Law enforcement. What was the DQ you already have from? Your "good points" are not that good. No one care if you are a born again Christian, that is a decision you make yourself. Congrats. Being a bouncer, not exactly the best job for getting into Law Enforcement.

If you already "failed a pysch, I doubt you will pass another one. Best of luck. I would not waste your time applying anywhere in Law Enforcement with your previous arrests.
                  "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

So are you applying to work at the "lock up" where you spent time after you were arrested?
                    What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

I really don't see the need for some of you to be disrespectful towards me .

Comment

No one is being disrespectful. You asked for advice and it's being given to you. If you wear your feelings on your sleeve, well then this job is not for you. Move on.
                        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

The comment about my use of collar, and my line of work was pretty disrespectful, according to New York State Penal Law Disorderly Conduct is a violation. And I was never convicted of resisting arrest, I was going to fight the case, but they offered to drop the resisting charge so I took the deal, as I didn't have enough money to pay for a lawyer just to fight a dis-con

Comment

I used to be a sheriff's deputy in the county in which I reside. I was assigned to work in the jail. I also was a state correctional officer, and now I am a federal correctional officer. You would be very hard pressed to find anyone at any of those places who had an arrest record prior to being hired.

I will quote to you from the job qualifications for my former agency
                            No misdemeanor convictions involving moral character, perjury or false statements as outlined in the Kansas statutes and no chronic record of misdemeanors. Must be able to render credible testimony in a court of law
                            Originally posted by Viper85
                            I have never spent any time in jail. Only a few hours in lock up.
                            That doesn't make any sense either.
                            What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Oh God. Here we go.

No one's disrespecting you man. A little sarcasm perhaps but guess what? Sarcasm is a MAJOR part of the LE community. You're getting answers you don't want to hear. It's like a broken record in here. People come in with some pretty serious baggage and want to know why they can't get an LEO job right away. When they're advised why, they shoot back with "why are you being so (fill in the blank)?"

It's called reality. Quite frankly, no one here can say for certain whether or not any LE agency will take a chance on you or anyone else. Definitive answers will have to come from the agencies themselves. I myself can only speculate that given your stated background, you have a huge disadvantage against the thousands of other donks applying for a selective few slots.

Best of luck.
                              sigpic
                              Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                              And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6053 users online. 219 members and 5834 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X