300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
    Holy Moly! Is that what they got out of 2-4 years of CJ classes?
    Intro Criml Justice System
    Intro Criminal Behavior
    Intro to Legal Process
    Policing in America (History class)
    Intro: CJ Research
    Field Experience in CJ (Internship)
    Juvenile Justice
    Policing Communities (Had potential, instead we read books about robots, and talked about sex offenders)
    Prevention: Crime & Delinquency (Same professor as above, no robots, just more sex offenders)
    White-Collar Crime
    Criminal Investigation
    Intro to Criminal Law
    Contemporary Issues in AJ (Crime Prevention through Environment Design)

Out of all those classes, the only ones that taught anything about being a cop were Intro Criminal Justice System, Criminal Investigation, and the internship. The intro class was taught by a former officer from Texas, while the investigation class was taught by a retired detective who actually had us go through crime scene footage and try to figure out what happened. Aside from those classes though, the CJ major was pretty useless in preparing me for my desired career.

Comment

Yeah, dansik, don't see anything....come to think of it, have never seen anything...in a course of study that would prep one for how to get through the app process.
      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
        Yeah, dansik, don't see anything....come to think of it, have never seen anything...in a course of study that would prep one for how to get through the app process.
        The retired detective went through small parts of it, but yeah if I had not found this site, especially the sticky in Ask-A-Cop, I'd have felt completely unprepared. I've been through 5 oral interviews so far and have passed all of them in the high 80's, low 90's and a good reason for that is reading the sticky and researching the process elsewhere on the internet.

And I've been surprised that no interview has been the same. One interview was with 5 commission members that lasted 30 min, another was 3 questions by people that lasted 15 minutes. The third was a 1 on 1 that lasted for 1 hour 30 min. Fourth was a 5 person group interview where we had 1 minute to think of an answer after we heard the question, then 1 minute to answer it. My last one was 5 scenario questions that they gave you 10 minutes before the interview. I've only heard the "Why do you want to work here?" and "What is your best/worst attribute?" one time, which has really shocked me because I had researched all the departments and come up with what I though were better than the "5 minute website check-up", and wasn't able to use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Garbage Man View Post

I wonder is any applicant even reading this thread? I noticed only vets replied.
          I am. Thank you for the helpful advice (although I'd like to think I wouldn't make those type of mistakes). It's nice to hear from someone on a board what some of the common mistakes are.

In my case (I've had two interviews so far) I felt I did too much research on the department/agency and didn't get a chance to put it to use in the interview.

Comment

=Another interesting question that every oral asks, is what is the biggest problem facing police today? It is amazing how few people could realize the obvius simple answer. They all kept saying things like racial profiling and Rodney King, and I am thinking, wow is this the 90's? C'mon people think, its on the front page of every newspaper.
            Lay-offs and having to do more with less?

Comment

Personally, my approach to the oral boards has been this: Be myself. I try to be courteous, professional, concise, and I think about my answers before I blurt them out. Other than that, I just relax and answer the questions they ask with the truth. The way I see it, if they see the real me, and they don't like what they see, then I probably am better off not working there. I don't want to get hired somewhere by being a phony. I'd rather someone hire me because they like what they see. Then I can come to work everyday and just be myself, instead of constantly putting on a show.

Research is very important. I spend a couple hours on the internet browsing the city/village website, the department's website, and reading news stories about major happenings in the area. I figure it a) gives me an idea what to expect if I work there, and b) shows them I care enough about the job I'm applying to put some effort into getting hired.

A lot of this is true for any profession.

Just my two cents!
              "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

Comment

And nobody ever thinking like a cops. Suspect is screaming at you what do you do? “I call a Sgt so he can file a complaint on me.”
                Sweep the leg...
                Fear the darkness, for I am in it

Comment

Another interesting question that every oral asks, is what is the biggest problem facing police today? It is amazing how few people could realize the obvius simple answer. They all kept saying things like racial profiling and Rodney King, and I am thinking, wow is this the 90's? C'mon people think, its on the front page of every newspaper.
                  The economy! Which is why inspite of my two degrees and work history I am driving a delivery truck part-time and learned how to do Photoshop retouches on wannabe musicians' and models' headshots for my fiances photography studio lol.

Comment

GM, I am following this thread but I already passed my GGPD oral panel. I just hope the budget stuff gets sorted out, I was two days away from turning in my background packet. I'm applying as a recruit, though.

Comment

I just had an oral board at a local department this week. I wasn't nervous like I thought I would be. After being a cop for over a year now I was a lot more confident. I answered every questions based on how I would do things and really went heavy on the community policing aspect. For some reason though, I still feel unsure about the way it went. I knew the answers to every question/scenario due to the fact that our departments were in the same county.

All I remember is that the lady before me had the whole panel laughing the whole time, and me not so much. I think I got it ingrained in my mind that the oral board is not a place for jokes. I was confident, clear and concise on all my answers but somehow I still think that they may give it to the person who made them laugh....guess we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                        We all know there are "canned answers," and "real answers."
                        When I have interviewed in front of oral boards I try to combine my real answers with canned answers. I am being truthful and honest, but I'm trying to make myself also sound extremely professional and let the agency hear what they want to.

Great thread so far, I have learned a lot from this board and the members who post here.

Comment

I thought I bombed all three of my orals. My first one ever they laughed when I was honest about losing a fight I had gotten into in Iraq with a guy in my platoon, they said it was the first time someone ever admitted they lost a fight, and I continued into the hiring process..

The other two I thought I did terribly as well but afterward I was told "They loved me" by my background investigators. (Even tho in one of them a guy who was also a former Marine kept joking with me telling me to loosen up) -shrug-

Now if only the Psych had loved me too, hah. Oh well, all thats all sorted out (Hurrah 3 months of VA visits to get told by real doctors I'm good to go.. ) but yeah, hopefully.. eventually I'll find work in LE down here in FL.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12109 users online. 496 members and 11613 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X