300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I marketable to LE agencies?

Typical thread, just wondering, here are the issues in my background and stuff that I am wondering how much of a role they will play in me getting hired. It's just long because I have tried to elaborate as to not leave "missing pieces" to my stories.

I have tried marijuana in my life, approximately a total of 5 times. Starting once in 8th grade and a few random times since then. To my own shameful admittance, I was never a smoker, so I was only able to get high one time. Each other time was like 2 puffs and felt nothing, I do not think I know how to inhail. Which is why I feel I tried it a few more times, because I never seemed to get it to work, and I was curious.

My credit is fine, high 600's, low 700's. Only bad thing on there is a credit card payment thats noted as like 120 days late from a store credit card, but because I never knew I owed. The total is like $100 or less. I have 7-9 other accounts all in good current standing. Secured a couple sallie mae student loans, never been denied for a credit card. I have a bit of debt but it's almost all school related.

I completed college on time with a BA in Science with a 3.1 GPA, 121 credit hours.

Completed a course to become a Red Cross CPR certified/first responder (just awaiting official verification card)

I know basic american sign language.

1 of 12 Founding fathers of a strong national leadership fraternity where I served as new member educator and Chaplain to over 40 guys. Helped coordinate philanthropic benefits and did community service.

Solid work history consisting of an Animal Control for 1.5 years, Manager of a Golf store for 1.5 years, 3 consecutive summers of employment with my local public high school and a recent position with my college police department doing parking citations.

Driving record consists of 3 total tickets (had my license for 6 years)
    1) Rolling a stop sign about 4-5 years ago
    2)Speeding 81 in a 65, 4 years ago
    3)Speeding 81 in a 55, March of 2009.

Also on my record is a 90 day suspension due to a minor in possession/consumption ticket. (In illinois this was a mandatory punishment starting in 2008, since then its no longer mandatory). I was simply at a college party that got busted prior to being 21, simple as that. Did not receive a conviction on the charge, just got court supervision and a fine/lic. suspension. After receiving the citation I set up a meeting with the campus police chief, one on one, to discuss my options and how I could make things right, I just decided to take my punishment as it was dealt. I later obtain a position working for this department.

The last thing I have any concern about is employer theft. It happened when I was 18 years old. I helped a relative start a business. There were times when I took cash that was not mine, while working, from the business to use on personal expenditures. It was one probably 2-3 occasions from when I was 17 and 18. Not the proudest moment of my life, but I am hoping the 5 years since I have done this, plus the positives I can offer is enough for this not to destroy my chances. (nobody ever knew of me doing this, until now)
    Don't walk behind me, and call me a leader.
    Don't walk in front of me, and call me a follower.
    Walk beside me and call me a brother.

Only one way to find out.....
    Big Brother is watching

Comment

History of theft, suspension of some sort and multiple vehicular citations will not sound good in an interview. The theft is what would stand out if I were conducting your interview. 5 years is not a long time.

Comment

I figured a couple speeding tickets is to be expected in a 6 years license record. No accidents or anything.

I know the suspension sucks, but I am hoping the situation of it will make thing better. Being it was not for moving violations. Just got pinched in a college town, doing what college kids do. And the fact the law was only active for one year, now people who get a drinking ticket can pay like $30 extra bucks and keep their license. There was a lot of discrepancies with that particular law, especially with how often it was consistently enforced.

The theft is the worst part really, but i think being that I was 17, barely 18 at the time and will be at least 23 by the time I am hired anywhere will make it long enough ago.

I am hoping the amount of people out there applying with terrible credit, no degree, more tickets and even arrests, sustained pot usage, history of mental illness, on current medications, bad employment history etc. will make my background sound not so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by AJS 0823 View Post
          I have tried marijuana in my life, approximately a total of 5 times.

Only bad thing on there is a credit card payment thats noted as like 120 days late from a store credit card

Driving record consists of 3 total tickets (had my license for 6 years)
          1) Rolling a stop sign about 4-5 years ago
          2)Speeding 81 in a 65, 4 years ago
          3)Speeding 81 in a 55, March of 2009.

Also on my record is a 90 day suspension due to a minor in possession/consumption ticket.

The last thing I have any concern about is employer theft. It happened when I was 18 years old. I helped a relative start a business. There were times when I took cash that was not mine, while working, from the business to use on personal expenditures. It was one probably 2-3 occasions from when I was 17 and 18.
          You have quite the pattern of immature behavior in your past. The recent speeding ticket (4 MPH more and you have an arrestable offense here.) shows you haven't quite figured out how to play by the rules.

Stealing money from a relative who was also your employer? At 18? Come on now, you're supposed to learn stealing is bad when you're in kindergarten.

The suspension, regardless of the reason (Yes, drinking underage is still a crime), is going to throw a red flag for any background investigator.

You're facing an uphill battle right now, there's alot of candidates with the same qualifications as you and fewer skeletons in their closet. I'm going to guess you're going to need to put some time between you and your past indiscretions before you become a viable candidate. Have you considered going into the military?
          Last edited by NYCardinal85; 06-29-2010, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Also, I don't know if this constitutes as "juice" or not, but I do currently reside with my step father whom is a 22yr LEO in a large department. Thats about the only "inside connection" I have... although I'm doubtful that will play any role, but all the talk I hear about needing "juice" especially in the Chicagoland area...at least I have something

I really not very concerned, I just appreciate the people on here and their view points and advice. I'm aware there are people with better backgrounds than me but for every 1 with a better one there is an equal if not greater number of bad ones.

Starting out in corrections most likely so we will see how much they weigh these things, if they even do a poly.
            Last edited by AJS 0823; 06-29-2010, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Most of it sounds like juvenile nonsense.....except for the thievery....

"If it wasn't for ********s like you, there wouldn't be any thievery in this world, would there?" -GySgt Hartman, Full Metal Jacket
              I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

lol classic movie.

And I tend to agree, it's all relatively petty stuff that affected noone but myself, other than the minor theft when I was a minor. I don't exactly think 81 in a 65 is going to jump off the paper, as our local highways pace more than that about every rush hour LOL.

81 in a 55, I'll have to explain. (just the typical country road, never any cops, yadada type of ordeal)

I'm open to discuss the theft when I was 17 years old, I am not glad it happened but from it I took a lifelong lesson of how it feels to feel guilty for doing the wrong thing. I don't take pride in my mistakes but I take pride in my demonstrated ability to overcome them and learn from them. Since making such juvenile mistakes I have learned it's my place is this world to intervene with crime and work everyday to make this society better. It's my debt to society, for doing those ill conceived things, to work and make it a better place. I got my degree in Sociology, to better understand society and how it operates. I wanted to know why people do the bad things that they do. I want to work with the people that do these bad things and keep them away from your children and my children. I feel the best way to make up for my wrong doin as a minor is to join the good guys and devote my skills and motivation to stopping others from committing crimes.

Comment

Its not a relative I associate with anymore. (Family issues arose around his actions following the death of a family member, among other issues) I have seen this person maybe 3 times in the last 4 years.

I have already read about peoples previous drug problems, arrests, jail time, bankruptcy, terrible credit, plethora of moving violations etc. and figured I was better off than a lot of people too....but..

More people than you know have issues in their past, especially people who are early 20's and still have teenage shenanigans that they want to own up to. A lot of people just lie about it, which is why every other thread on here and other forums is about failing a poly.

I am just trying to come to terms with the couple blemishes I have so that I can accept responsibility, more forward and have a successful, prideful career despite juvenile mistakes I made when I was 17 years old. But I need to face them and talk about them first.

Comment

I couldnt get past your inhaling portion of a rant................Go apply and see what happens...These threads are dime a dozen around here.

Comment

I felt I needed to air out right now, at least to someone. I have no excuses for my actions (speaking on the theft issue here) and am trying not to downplay or rationalize them, but hope to be able to prove merit worthy progress from a 17 year old kid to a college degreed, motivated to learn, trust worthy 22 year old adult. People who falter in their teenage years can ultimately take 1 of 2 roads. I feel I chose the correct road in receiving a higher education, keeping job stability, achieving a high GPA (merit of my willingness to commit to studying and taking serious things that are assigned to me), personal relationship stability, and financial responsibility (In 5 years of credit history, I have 1 blemish over mistakingly thinking I paid a $100 tab, which I found out I didn't).

I have recently cut up all my credit cards, the 2 I have with any balance are being paid off promptly (balances were from school expenses) and I am keeping current with repaying my sallie mae student loans. Given a career making the kind of money a Deputy Sheriff in my area does, all student debts will be paid full in about 3 years (not to bad for what I consider, ultimately, an investment).

I am very proud of the leadership positions I took within the fraternity I helped build from the ground up. I was involved in every facet from recruitment, to member education, to chapter Chaplain to philanthropy and community service. I helped create a very successful leadership organization on a premier University in the midwest. How cool is that?

anyways, appreciate what all you have been able to contribute.

Comment

I also hope at some point I am able to express my interest in working to secure grants for the department as well. In college I wrote a grant proposal, in basic terms, as to "why departments need funding for a K9 unit", I drew up all the surveys, define the research question, variable and methodology, statistics, budget etc.

I actually really enjoyed it and got an A on the 25 page assignment, all that was left to do with it was actually send out the surveys (which wasnt done because of cost reasons and that it was just a project for a research methods class) but I put months of work into it and, if I had sent out and received my surveys back I could of done an analysis of my data and perhaps had a working grant proposal.

I would really like to be a part of some sort of scholastic team within the department that works on the side to secure grants for funding. I know many officers out there really are hoping for certain types of equipment, units, programs etc... The grant writing teams are the ones that make those initiatives happen! How cool would it be to be the guy thats invested countless hours of work to be partly responsible for some new patrol cars, department wide firearms upgrades, new K9's etc.
                        Last edited by AJS 0823; 06-30-2010, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Stop making excuses.

Yes, some people have worse records than yours. Concern yourself with your background and your background only.

How do you think an oral board is going to take it when they ask you about something and you respond with "Well, Joe over there..."

Other than that, I wish you the best of luck.
                          The more you sweat in here, the less you'll bleed on the street. - Plaque at LASD academy

Comment

The last date of your marijuana use will be important. If it was last year, that could show that you haven't matured since those 18 year old chingasos. I agree with the above poster about considering the military, esp an MP. Square yourself away for a few years and earn some good references through hard work, loyalty, and TRUST.
                            FBI CI 1811:
                            June 2007: Applied
                            July 2007: Phase I
                            October 2010: Phase II
                            March 2011: PFT, PSI, Polygraph, Medical
                            April 2011: BI, Spouse Interview

Critical Skills: accounting & FLEO

Comment

No, you would not be competitive.

I say this because there are thousands of people who apply to LE every year who have spotless records.

The other major issue is everything you have done have been inside the 7 -10 years a TS clearance looks at in your background

I mean the theft inside of 5 years is a MAJOR issue. I am not sure you would even get a TS clearance let alone hired at an agency.

I would work on getting into a position that you can qualify for that has some level of trust associated with it, work for several years to get your history past the 7 year mark and give it time.

Right now, no law agency would consider you because, well honestly there are other applicants who have not broken laws.

For example

I am 34 years old, 6 years military, BS in criminal Justice, masters in Law. Spotless record, including no speeding tickets, no drugs ever noting. + 10 pt vet pref.

I would consider myself in the top 30%.
                              FBI SA
                              Applied 4-10-2010
                              Phase I 5-26-2010 PASSED
                              Phase II 10-28-2010 PASSED
                              Fitness 11-10-2010 PASSED 22 pts
                              POLY 11-17-2010
                              Med TBD
                              BG TBD
                              Q TBD

FAMS
                              July 2010 Applied
                              October 2010 COE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6805 users online. 224 members and 6581 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X