300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USFS Law Enforcement Openings

There are a lot of openings in multiple locations. The one open to US citizens closes on the 7th of June. Go to Avue Central, then click search for jobs up top. Then on the right side click search by filters. Then under job titles type in law enforcement officer all in one box, then click find jobs at bottom of page.

Do you work for USFS? If so I would love to converse with you? If not did you apply to any of the recent announcements. I applied to one back in Feb and was referred to the hiring official but it has been all crickets.

Comment

There is currently only one position open right now to non-status candidates...not exactly what I would call "a lot of openings"

Comment

Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post
        There is currently only one position open right now to non-status candidates...not exactly what I would call "a lot of openings"
        Which one is the non-status position and can you provide a usajobs or Avue Central link?

Nevermind. I found it.
        Last edited by ASR62; 06-04-2010, 09:11 PM. Reason: Update
        "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress."
        John Adams

Comment

There are plenty of status candidates on here, and last time I checked the openings there were only 2, now there are about 17.

Originally posted by ASR62 View Post
          Which one is the non-status position and can you provide a usajobs or Avue Central link?
          This one is open to non-status candidates. Its in Idaho. Its deadline is on the 7th. https://www.avuecentral.com/casting/...yIds=492466131
          Last edited by ACO88; 06-04-2010, 09:22 PM.

Comment

I got an email from avue saying i was referred to the selecting official for consideration. I applied to the CA spots. If anyone can shed some light on how fast the process is if I am even selected... Is it relatively fast and if so what is the next step? I am aware if selected, I would attend NRPTP for 17 weeks at fletc. Been a while since i prepped for an academy so I am busting my self getting ready again and its been fun...

Is that portion of fletc more paramilitary than standard uniformed training? (would be more used to paramilitary from working at a municipal agency). Any info for what NRPTP is like from a person who actually attended would be insightful. I am going to try and schedule a ride along with the local office soon to see what the job is like.

Thanks in advance for any info!
            Am I Clear? Code Seven...

Comment

The process should move fairly quickly, with the most lengthy portion, the background, varying in time length. I would guess 4 to 8 months total. NRPTP is now known as LMPT, but it seems the name changes every 3 or 4 years. The academy is a "gentleman's academy", no paramilitary stuff. If you've been to another academy it shouldn't be too hard, but the training is top notch for a basic academy.

Comment

Originally posted by 912.C7 View Post
                I got an email from avue saying i was referred to the selecting official for consideration. I applied to the CA spots. If anyone can shed some light on how fast the process is if I am even selected... Is it relatively fast and if so what is the next step? I am aware if selected, I would attend NRPTP for 17 weeks at fletc. Been a while since i prepped for an academy so I am busting my self getting ready again and its been fun...

Is that portion of fletc more paramilitary than standard uniformed training? (would be more used to paramilitary from working at a municipal agency). Any info for what NRPTP is like from a person who actually attended would be insightful. I am going to try and schedule a ride along with the local office soon to see what the job is like.

Thanks in advance for any info!
                I have been applying to all USFS positions since March (so about 15 different announcements) and have been referred to all. Basically the referral letter/email for both the public and status announcement is sent out the day after the status application for the position closes, for example this week about 4 USFS status announcements closed and my email was full of referral emails.

The selecting official is usually the captain for the location you applied for and it really depends on their schedule as far as how fast someone is interviewed and hired. I have been told that interviews and hiring is somewhat slow in the summer because the captains are usually out patrolling and working with their officers since summer is usually the busiest time of the year. Whereas in the winter many of the forests are covered in snow which means there is less area to patrol so the captains can spend more time in the office and can spend time working on the hiring process.

But it really just comes down to how badly the captain needs the officers as far as how fast hiring occurs. I have already had three of my applications that I applied for a couple months had their referral list reissued (after a period of time if the hiring process hasn’t begun the referral list must be updated), so obviously the captains for those positions are not moving very fast.

Comment

The selecting official is usually the captain for the location you applied for and it really depends on their schedule as far as how fast someone is interviewed and hired. I have been told that interviews and hiring is somewhat slow in the summer because the captains are usually out patrolling and working with their officers since summer is usually the busiest time of the year. Whereas in the winter many of the forests are covered in snow which means there is less area to patrol so the captains can spend more time in the office and can spend time working on the hiring process.

But it really just comes down to how badly the captain needs the officers as far as how fast hiring occurs. I have already had three of my applications that I applied for a couple months had their referral list reissued (after a period of time if the hiring process hasn’t begun the referral list must be updated), so obviously the captains for those positions are not moving very fast.
                  For sure the Captains are busy, but they're not that busy. My experience is that if they are not hiring off of the referral list it is for 1 of 2 possible reasons. 1. They currently don't have any money to hire anyone. 2. They don't want to hire anyone off the list.

Comment

Was referred for GS 7-9 selection.
                    Have a current federal background clearance from DHS/CBP. I take it this would be adaquate? Or would they need to conduct another check?
                    Anyone with recent knowledge able to shed light on the steps?
                    1. Captain selection of a few for each position?
                    2. Med / Physical eval?
                    3. Interview?
                    4. Background (If applicable?)
                    5. Contingent offer to selected person?
                    6. FLETC bound?

Shooting from the hip here - though would that summarize the process?
                    Live to work... or Work to live - YOUR Choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sytes View Post
                      Was referred for GS 7-9 selection.
                      Have a current federal background clearance from DHS/CBP. I take it this would be adaquate? Or would they need to conduct another check?
                      Anyone with recent knowledge able to shed light on the steps?
                      1. Captain selection of a few for each position?
                      2. Med / Physical eval?
                      3. Interview?
                      4. Background (If applicable?)
                      5. Contingent offer to selected person?
                      6. FLETC bound?

Shooting from the hip here - though would that summarize the process?
                      What location(s) did you apply for? I have been applying for all of the announcements since March and have referred for all of them. As far as the interviews go it really varies from region to region. In some places the interview will just be one-on-one with the Captain, while in other places it will be with a panel. Most of the time they are conducted over the phone, unless the Captain agrees/allows you to come to their office for the interview.

Comment

I applied to the 4 positions in CA and only heard back from 1 place so far for both 7/9 levels saying referred. I imagine it will be a somewhat long process and a lot of applicants, however I see most of you went for Idaho spots...
                        Last edited by 912.C7; 06-22-2010, 10:46 PM. Reason: added in location.
                        Am I Clear? Code Seven...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6493 users online. 284 members and 6209 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X