Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPM Investigator Questions

All
    Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I want to know if anyone here has experience with being an OPM Investigator? What is the salary like? Flexible hours? Whats needed to be competitive since it appears that most of the positions are private sector jobs.
    Thanks

Originally posted by Agent00Latin View Post
    experience with being an OPM Investigator?
    I have a buddy that works out of a Midwest Office and there is a guy from his office on here.....

What is the salary like?
    Starts at GS-7....No special pay, no LE Status, No Weapon.... You get paid just like a regular US Gov employee.....

Flexible hours?
    Work from house with some office time. You are issued a GSA Vehicle, computer, printer, and stuff like that to work at home.....

Whats needed to be competitive since it appears that most of the positions are private sector jobs.
    Investigative/Backround checking experience... My buddy was a local LEO for 6 years before he made the jump. Agnecy was small enough that he did his own follow-ups and was able to make that stick out on his resume/KSAs..... He also worked some time on a Drug Task Force.....

Comment

All
      Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I want to know if anyone here has experience with being an OPM Investigator? What is the salary like? Flexible hours? Whats needed to be competitive since it appears that most of the positions are private sector jobs.
      Thanks
      I just landed a Contract Investigator Position with OPM about 3 months ago. I am an Independent Contractor for a company that is contracted with OPM. I do this as a side gig, second job. I am a State Criminal Investigator full time. It is a sweet RETIREMENT job. Unfortunately I'm not retired. If you want to do it I suggest being an Independent Contractor for a company (specifically the one I'm with). You can PM me for more details. You can make some GOOD $$ as an independent contractor. Its also a great part time gig if you can swing it. I'm just broadening my resume a bit while I push through the 1811 hiring process hoping to get the call.

Comment

There are federal OPM investigators, and contract investigators that work for OPM. The contract side is easier to get into because they have more positions and a higher turnover rate. I can't comment on the pay specifically, but do know the independent contractors are generally paid better, have better control of their work, and seem to enjoy the work more. Independent contractors that I've worked with are almost all retired law enforcement, though I have come across a stay-at-home mom that took this position. Full-time employees of the contracted companies seem to be under a lot of stress regarding their productivity levels.

Here's what I can tell you about the federal side:
        1) Pay- usually starts at GS7 (though college grads were being brought in a few years ago at GS5, and if you have experience you may be able to start at a GS9). Progresses to a noncompetitive journeyman level of GS12. No LEAP or other incentives. Some offices offer use of discretionary overtime depending on their workloads where you can work X amount of hours without consulting your supervisor, otherwise you may have to get approval. If you're TDY, you'll be working a minimum number of overtime hours, but TDY is usually on a voluntary basis. You can also volunteer to go overseas.
        2) Hours- very flexible. You have a case load assigned, but it's up to you to complete this work on time. You may have to meet someone that works the night shift or isn't available until the weekend. Trying to catch neighbors at home may mean going into a neighborhood in the evening when most people are home. The good thing is that you set your own hours for the most part. I have a schedule I set for myself (just to be consistent for my family) and I stick to it. It varies enough that I rarely have to change my schedule to meet with anyone. The flexibility is great because you can adjust your schedule to make the school/sports activities of your child, or get an early start on your vacation. You can work a regular five day week, compressed schedule with one extra day off every other week, or four 10 hour shifts - you choose.
        3) Equipment- includes a take-home vehicle, cell phone, laptop, and printer. You have a badge and creds, but you are not law enforcement and don't have any arrest authority. Lets be clear on that because if you abuse your B&Cs then you're off the job pretty quick.
        4) How to be competitive- I have no idea. My coworkers have backgrounds as a retired high school teacher, small municipality police officer, real estate agent, military bomb squad tech, and USSS-UD officer. It really comes down to what the SAC is looking for. I think good attributes would include someone that is capable of working and dealing with people from a variety of backgrounds. You have to show you're independent, self-sufficient, and can keep yourself accountable. Being able to communicate verbally and in writing so that you can intelligently and clearly articulate what is needed to others is important because you will have to deal with the HR and law departments of large corporations routinely. You can go weeks without having any contact with your supervisor, the office, or coworkers so you have to be able to make things happen with limited supervision and support.

Did I mention, you'll be writing a lot of reports on that laptop. Plan on working 1-2 days a week on reports with the rest of your week being fieldwork.

OPM has been posting quite a few openings across the U.S. on usajobs.gov. There is talk that OPM is hiring approximately 200-400 new employees over the next 1-2 years with most of those positions being investigator positions. I know D.C. is shorthanded and would expect a large number of these positions to be in that area.

Comment

Not everyone is getting a G-ride, if you are working in NYC, you may end up conducting interviews around your local area
          USPIS 2011
          US OPM 2009-2011
          US CBP 2007-2009
          USANG 2006
          USMC 2002-2006
          H&S Co, MCSFBn NOB Norfolk 2003-2006
          MWSG17, 1st MAW Okainawa 2002-2003

Comment

Can anyone give some info on this being a step in the right direction to becoming an 1811. Based on what I have read, a lot of retired agents take these positions, but does it work the other way as well? Any OPM BI's make the jump to OPM OIG or other 1811 jobs?

Also, I have read reports on the workload and how there have been complaints about having to use weekends/non-paid overtime, etc to have enough time to clear your cases. Are the workloads that heavy? Any info is appreciated.

Comment

Does anyone know if it is difficult to get a contract investigator with one of the private companies that do .gov background checks? How does the contract investigator position work...are you assigned a case to investigate and can you pick and choose your work? Was looking to do it part-time to supplement income.

Comment

Originally posted by Corpor_usmc View Post
                Not everyone is getting a G-ride, if you are working in NYC, you may end up conducting interviews around your local area
                That would suck..... I know everyone here in Hawaii and back in MO are getting rides..... I would suspect if NYC is like that, then some of the other bigger cities like Philly, Chicago, and LA are like that as well... ugh....

Comment

Originally posted by EnWhyPeeDee View Post
                  Does anyone know if it is difficult to get a contract investigator with one of the private companies that do .gov background checks? How does the contract investigator position work...are you assigned a case to investigate and can you pick and choose your work? Was looking to do it part-time to supplement income.
                  I would PM that Bart Simpson dude above us...and get with him. There are several companies (like Keypoint) that are doing them as private contactor....I just don't know who they are anymore to help youout...

Comment

Non-competitive GS-12 sounds like a good paying job to me. Seems like a good gig for getting into the system, doing some investigations, and getting paid well while doing it. I had an OPM contractor interview me for my security clearance. It's funny to me that OPM contractors have badges, but BOP staff who are federal LEO's can't have badges.
                    What is Perseverance?
                    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                      I would PM that Bart Simpson dude above us...and get with him. There are several companies (like Keypoint) that are doing them as private contactor....I just don't know who they are anymore to help youout...
                      10-04k. Thanks.

Comment

Do OPM investigators handle different investigations than contract investigators? For example, are OPM's people doing the TS/SCI clearances, SSBIs, etc., and contractors doing lower level clearances/investigations? Guess I'm trying to figure why they've got a mix of Fed and contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                          Do OPM investigators handle different investigations than contract investigators? For example, are OPM's people doing the TS/SCI clearances, SSBIs, etc., and contractors doing lower level clearances/investigations? Guess I'm trying to figure why they've got a mix of Fed and contractors.
                          From talking to my buddy in the Midwest that works for OPM....they all do the same backgrounds... OPM HQ just farms groups of them them out to the contractors.....

My buddy just got back from Spain. He's been to UK, Germany, and Japan thus far.... All volunteer TDY gigs for 45-60 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                            From talking to my buddy in the Midwest that works for OPM....they all do the same backgrounds... OPM HQ just farms groups of them them out to the contractors.....

My buddy just got back from Spain. He's been to UK, Germany, and Japan thus far.... All volunteer TDY gigs for 45-60 days.
                            They also TDY to D.C. to conduct investigation on military people who just PCS there for higher clearance.
                            USPIS 2011
                            US OPM 2009-2011
                            US CBP 2007-2009
                            USANG 2006
                            USMC 2002-2006
                            H&S Co, MCSFBn NOB Norfolk 2003-2006
                            MWSG17, 1st MAW Okainawa 2002-2003

Comment

Back a few years ago when Clinton was in office most of the Federal investigators were let go. The story goes senior level officials had started interfering with the investigations so they let the feds go and hired private companies and contractors to complete the work. It was amazing how quickly the feds were hired by the private companies. They left work Thursday as a fed for a long weekend and came back to the same office Monday as an employee of a private company. A skeleton crew of federal investigators were kept on for various reasons, among them was having a neutral agency to investigate the private investigators. That is the rumor anyway.
                              But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9295 users online. 436 members and 8859 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X