Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding and Applying for Out-Of-State PO Jobs [v. Northeast]

Hey all,

I live in upstate NY and the job market is abysmal due to the economy. I do as much as I can to make myself the best applicant I can be but I don’t have a picture-perfect background (Prior drug use 5 years ago, I know "wait longer" and I am and getting a graduate degree whilst waiting). Around here it is impossible for me to get hired for a single spot where there are 1,000 applicants/position because the competition is so fierce. For example, I took the NY State Police exam, scored rather well and they only made it half way to me on the list in 2 years before it was frozen.

I have been applying out of state: Washington DC Metro Police, Philadelphia Police, Vermont State Trooper (and assorted local departments).

I was wondering what anyone else is doing to apply out of state? Currently I am just fishing around on the internet, finding a [large] department that appears to be hiring, and applying online. When/if they have an upcoming test, I drive down and get a hotel room for the night prior.

Does anyone have tips for me on finding departments that are giving tests to actually hire? I spend hours looking around on the internet at a single department to find background requirements and to see if they are going to actually hire in the near future. I don’t want to spend $400-$500 to take a test for a department that is laying off officers in the future or when I am an auto-dq.

Any tips or maybe point me in the right direction to a few departments that are hiring in relatively large amounts?

Thank you so much for your advice,
    Stephen

www.mdsp.org - 4 day out of state process

www.secretservice.gov (apply UD and SA) - Entire process will take place at local FO

Comment

Dallas PD, 2 day first phase. Hiring 200 cops a year.

Comment

Virginia Beach PD is where I made my start, great department. As you can see from my icon I also am from upstate, NY.

Comment

Ocean City MD also runs a great seasonal program if you need some experience.

Work hard and network...you can go full time.

Comment

Originally posted by UD4LIFE View Post
            Ocean City MD also runs a great seasonal program if you need some experience.

Work hard and network...you can go full time.
            Any idea how often OC accepts Out-of-State laterals?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9313 users online. 345 members and 8968 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X